PDA

View Full Version : CAA extension given to UK National exams

Hot&Heavy
9th Feb 2001, 20:59
I have only just found out about this change (it's only been published since 30 Jan 2001) and there must be others out there in the same situation as me.

Effective January 2001, the CAA are granting an extension to candidates who did not have time to complete all examinations under the old UK national licensing system.

Additionally with the abolition of the partial pass rule, any exam credits gained but not given (due to being insufficient for a partial pass) are now being counted as valid.

Whereas before candidates had 12 months from the date of their first full or partial pass, they have extended this to 18 months.

There must be some wannabees out there floating about with only a few exam credits left to complete, who might have missed the cut off date. Like me, you were contemplating being forced to train for a JAR-FCL - but perhaps there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

In my own case, I had until Oct 2000 to finish mine but for various reasons couldn't do it. I have since been gearing up to prepare for commencing JAR-FCL training. It didn't help me a lot that CAA changed their minds as late as January, as I still only have a few months left - but at least I've got a few months to take a crack at it.

This information is available on the CAA website, but the relevant bits & pieces are:

"A candidate is required to complete all examination papers within a period of 18 months, counted from the end of the calendar month when the applicant first attempted an examination. The 18 months is now the time limit for both ATPL & CPL examinations."

"...despite our best efforts to avoid disadvantage to any applicant due to the rapid implementation of these new rules, we are aware that some anomalous cases may arise. Where this happens we are prepared to consider any reasonable case made by the Flying Training Organisation on behalf of the candidate."

Hope this helps at least a few of you, who have 'fallen off' the end of the UK national licensing system.

Cheers, H&H

[This message has been edited by Hot&Heavy (edited 09 February 2001).]