PDA

View Full Version : Ban union reps from becoming management?

bonvol
22nd Apr 2003, 08:28
It has always got up my nose when pilot union officials jump to the other side and start using their inside knowledge to snipe back at us. Makes one question their motivation for becoming a representative of their peers in the first place.

I doubt if it would ever get up but I reckon any pilot who takes on a union position should be banned from accepting a management position for at least 5 years.

What do you guys think?

capt cynical
22nd Apr 2003, 10:04
A fine principle,I wish it could be applied to Cabin Crew as well.:hmm:

Kaptin M
22nd Apr 2003, 10:23
How about just banning management!! :}

Take them out of the office for a month and it doesn't make an ounce of difference to the schedules.
After all, management's job IS to put the BEST people in the positions of responsibilty to leave them free to do BIGGER things :rolleyes:

Agreed bonvol, but how would you enforce it?

bonvol
22nd Apr 2003, 11:14
Dont think anything will stop the really determined but an idea is to make it as embarrassing as possible for them. Write it into the union constitution and ask them pointed questions when they ask for your vote.

When they subsequently do the dirty, if they do, then bring up the "Hansard" report and let em' have it.

They get off scot free at the moment.

crocodile redundee
22nd Apr 2003, 17:03
If you want a classic case to support your topic, just look at Ansett & what happened in its final 15 years. Management was packed full of ex union turncoats..........

funbags
22nd Apr 2003, 17:05
Bonvol - if you don't like the person and think that they have higher aspirations , don't vote for them in the first place and maybe they won't get on the Committee.

bonvol
22nd Apr 2003, 22:11
Funbags, usually one only finds out about their intentions once their behind is warming the seat. It's all too late then. Apathy on the part of the majority doesn't help much either.

Candidates know that if the rank and file get a sniff of their true intentions then thats that. Also, once in the chair some get shall we say "seduced" by management and start with good intentions but fall over.