PDA

View Full Version : Residency Status Re: CX Cadet Pilot Programme

PAJG
22nd Apr 2003, 08:27
Upon reading through the requirements for entry on the CX site, I noticed that the Cadet programme is open only to Hong Kong permanent residents.

I'm an Australian Citizen who has lived in Australia for my whole life. Does this residency requirement make it impossible for me to apply? I've noticed several people who's locations are indicated as Australia but are indeed applying. Perhaps a more pertinent question is this: in order to apply for the CX Cadet pilot Programme as an Australian Citizen, do I need to take out Hong Kong citizenship? Or is it impossible to apply without actually living in Hong Kong?

I've perused many other threads without luck so I'm hoping the rather drastic step of posting a new topic might bring an answer forward! :D

Thanks in advance,
Peter Gow

jtr
22nd Apr 2003, 09:29
You need HK "citizenship", which these days comes in the form of a Permanent ID Card. To hold one of these you have to have lived in HK for at least 7 years, or have been born there. I am sure there are other ways too, but in a nutshell, you are not going to "take out Hong Kong citizenship" unless you have some form of ancestral right.

On another note, you don't want to join as a cadet as you get no housing allowance, and you don't want to join direct entry as there is a recruitment ban in place (and CX have a shocking employee relations record), and you are not likely to be able to get an interview as CX need pilots like a cat needs a swimsuit right now.

PAJG
22nd Apr 2003, 16:10
Thanks for that optimistic reply jtr! :D

Ah well. You win some, you lose some.

JetDriverWannabe
22nd Apr 2003, 18:49
I am not too sure but wasn't it too long ago that a graduate of the cadet scheme would get housing benifits when he/she advance to the rank of Captian?

jtr
22nd Apr 2003, 21:10
Yes JDW, it is something along those lines.
The signifcant difference being that the local pilot is, upon attaining LHS, elevated to the heady heights of getting local housing allowance, not expat housing allowance.
The difference between the two is a factor of many, but as you correctly pointed out, after doing 10 odd years, you will be entitled to the same as they pay to all level c (I think) local employees. (not friggin much)