PDA

View Full Version : Urgent-please Help !!!

Hong Kong Layover
21st Apr 2003, 20:22
I know this is a very short notice,however could some one please give me the accurate definition of "FIRST AID' before 15.00hrs GMT on the 22/04/2003?

Preferably with the names of books/publications and the page numbers of them,where above information gathered from!

Thanking you all in advance,

Hong Kong Layover.

QDMQDMQDM
21st Apr 2003, 20:34
I know this is a very short notice,however could some one please give me the accurate definition of "FIRST AID' before 15.00hrs GMT on the 22/04/2003?

What a weird question! Is this for a bet or something?

First aid refers to the immediate administration of medical assistance in an emergency situation. About all you have to remember is 'ABC':

Shout 'are you alright', give them a shake and then check...

A = airway. Do they have an obstruction to breathing? If so, remove it.

B = breathing. Are they doing so? If not, do it for them with artificial respiration.

C = circulation. Do they have a central pulse (i.e. carotid). If so, good. If not, they will need CPR. Also, in 'C', are they bleeding? If so, apply direct pressure to stop the bleeding.

Once you've learnt ABC and how to do CPR, that's pretty much all there is to first aid. Anything else is secondary.

QDM

min
21st Apr 2003, 21:13
"First Aid is the initial care of the ill or injured. At any time, you may find yourself in a situation where someone has had an accident or is suffering from a sudden illness, and needs help until a qualifed health care professional, such as a doctor,
registered nurse or ambulance officer arrives. It aims to promote a safe environment, preserve life, prevent injury or illness from becoming worse, help promote recovery, and provide comfort to the ill or injured. By contrast, medical aid is treatment by a health care professional - doctor, registered nurse or ambulance officer. Medical aid takes over from first aid when the health professional arrives at the scene of an incident. The first aider may be required to remain and assist if requested by the health care professional."

This is taken from 'Australian First Aid, 3rd ed 1998, St John Ambulance Australia'.

The mechanics are what QDM has quoted above.

Hope this helps,

M.

flyblue
21st Apr 2003, 21:28
This is from The Royal Society of Medecine FIRST AID , Editor Karen Sullivan, Consultant Editors Dr Ian Mc Neill and Dr Michael Apple (first published 1997 by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc)

"First Aid is the first treatment or help given to a casualty either following an injury or at the onset of an illness, before qualified medical assistance is available."

"The aims of First Aid are simple:
-to keep the casualty alive
-to prevent suffering
-to prevent the injury or condition from becoming worse
-to encourage recovery"

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Loose rivets
23rd Apr 2003, 04:08
Comment on a hard lesson learned. Many moons ago, at around pub turning out time, I encountered a horrific road accident in which 6 young people were strewn about the road with various injuries. I was in uniform, and found that the few people helping seemed to look to me for guidance…funny things uniforms. I did most things right, got wife positioned down the road flashing headlights etc. numerous other brownie points earned BUT I made one very fundamental error, I assumed death in one case. There was such a huge circle of blood I just could not believe that he had a chance. After the longest 17 minuets of my life, a doctor appeared and waded to the bleeding victim first. . I was wrong, they had all survived. Never assume death. Stopping bleeding is up there with breathing and pumping.

Hong Kong Layover
23rd Apr 2003, 19:14
Thank you all guys,for the informaton given on the above subject. my mission accomplished,and I did well in my finals of the self study first aid training!

Once again "many thanks" !!!!

HKL.

Northern Chique
23rd Apr 2003, 21:03
From the note book of a Paramedic.... paraphrased from St John Ambulance Training and a few other notes from me...

DRABC and a little extra one....

Danger to Self, bystanders, patient and take a good look at the surroundings... often its easy to tell then what your patient has been up to.

Response - talk, shout (as loud as appropriate for the situation), and if no response we shake feet; why .. some sleepers awake swinging!

Airway.. clear airway with finger, Ive had non breathing patients begin breathing again simply by placing them in the "coma", "lateral" or "recovery" position (same thing, different names). If they are unable to protect their own airway, this is the best thing to do for them, unless you need to start breathing for them..

Breathing.. listen for strange noises, feel the breath on your cheek.. look across the chest and abdo to watch and feel for movement..

Circulation.. check for a pulse both at the wrist, and if you cant feel one there, try the carotid pulse either side of the windpipe.. then control any bleeding, bandaging as required. BTW, if the blood is jetting out in spurts, you have a pulse.. dont worry about feeling for one! It might look like a lot of blood... but usually theres a whole lot more where that came from if you dont control a bleed.

BBBB - this is our second mainstream teaching for trauma triage priority

Breathing, Bleeding, Burns and Eye Injury, then Bones...

Obviously this is a very general rule of thumb but a good guideline none the less.

Oh... and keep it simple.... If its working, and its appropriate, leave it...

for example....

For all our fancy gagetry in the ambulances.... often sitting up a patient who has trouble breathing, provides more relief than all the medication lying down could do.

An a great splint for a broken leg... is the other leg kept straight .. they look a little cumbersome for a bit... but its highly effective.

For those who havent done a first aid course..... Please Do One! ... you never know whos life you could save.

and Min... I will have to bring you a more recent edition! :p (wonders if thats a fair swap for a winery tour!)

min
24th Apr 2003, 19:19
Chiccy, I reckon you could twist my arm on the winery tour :) As you well know!

My edition (I just had another look) was reprinted with corrections in 6/2000, so if you have one since then....I'd not refuse :) Just let me know where you'd like to start the tour...

I also have a new job! Same days, tho, so all should be ok :)

M.

Hong Kong Layover
25th Apr 2003, 21:00
Thanks again for all the infomation given and I am very greatful for all who took time to send me information. CHEERS!!!