PDA

View Full Version : Easy to get PPL in the States?

Levente
9th Feb 2001, 13:56
Hi Pilots!

Sorry for the large number of very elementary questions, I am just planning my future :)

Could somebody tell me whether it is easy or not to be accpeted into a flight school to do the PPL? If you meet the criteria and have the money, are you automatically accepted?

On the other hand, do you think that as I live in Finland it would be more sensible to do my PPL here and then go to the states only to build time? And are there going to be problems in Europe if I do for instance multi engine and instrument ratings in the States?

Thanks,
Levente

Levente
9th Feb 2001, 14:01
Sorry, I mean if it is easy to be accepted to an flight school IN THE STATES.

Buggs
9th Feb 2001, 22:09
If you're paying your way then selection doesn't come into it. If the course isn't full they'll 'accept' you as you put it.

The only problem you'll face in the US will be if you do anything under FAA instruction. If you go to a school which teaches the JAA syllabus you shouldn't have a problem. There may be local discrepancies. For instance here in the UK we need to do a UK Radio Telephony exam as part of our PPL before we can get a license.

Hope that answers your question.
B

Jockflyer
9th Feb 2001, 23:15
Here is my suggestion to you.

First of all befriend a very understanding bank manager. Then

1. Gain PPL in home country
2. Go to State to build hours to minimum required for ATPL written exams
3. Study for and pass writtens
4. Return to states get multi rating and build more hours
5. Come to UK and start CPL/IR course.
6. Do MCC course
7. Wait months and months to get even the sniff of a job interview.

Ignore part 7, I'm just getting frustrated! :mad:

Best of luck

[This message has been edited by Jockflyer (edited 09 February 2001).]

Levente
10th Feb 2001, 05:57
Thanks for your answers. It's nice to know that if I have the money and they have place I will get my training. In Finland it's not that easy - you go through exams and interviews to get to do your CPL.

But what do you think about doing a JAR-CPL in the states? Wouldnīt it mean that it's JAA approved (a Good thing I guess), and that I could get over with both the PPL and CPL at the same time? Then it's only time building for the ATPL written exams. Or isnīt it a good idea?

Jockflyer, why do you recommend me to go to the UK in specific to do my CPL/IR?

Thanks,
Levente

Jockflyer
10th Feb 2001, 14:03
L

I've sent you an email

JF