PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm update problems

Man-on-the-fence
20th Apr 2003, 17:35
Hi gang

First the admin, I am running a PII/400 with 256mb of RAM with W2000 and Sophos antivirus, the HDD is 15GB.

In use the free version of Zone alarm, and very usefully it informed me that there was and upgrade available.

After downloading it I logged off as my user and logged on as administrator and installed the upgrade (as an upgrade rather than a clean install).
After this when I try to open Outlook express or IE (6 SP2) they dont appear to open, the curser just flickers and the eggtimer appears along side it momentarilly but then nothing.

An inspection of the Processes section in task manager shows that both the .exe files are running with no time allocated to them, but they dont appear in the active tasks section or on the screen.

If I try opening OE again it informs me that I cannot open this program twice.

I have tried uninstalling and running a completely fresh install but the same thing happens.

I have reinstalled my previous version, 3.1.291), whilst the upgrade is using the 37_143.exe (sorry I didnt make a note of the verion when I installed it).

I have ahd a quick look at the ZA site but there doesnt appear to be much on it for free users.

Anyone else had the same problem and managed to solve it?

PS Not comments about using IE / OE I happen to like them. :8

Checkboard
21st Apr 2003, 07:07
Why not change to the equally good Tiny firewall (http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN)? Takes up less disk space too. The free zonealarm isn't recommended for laptops - is your system a laptop?

Ausatco
21st Apr 2003, 14:31
MOTF

As an enthusiastic user of ZA I've had absolutely no problems with it, and as a result of that happy experience have absolutely no idea how to fix problems like yours - sorry, I wish I could help.

How about an email to ZA support - they're ok with that if your question is not covered in on-line support.

Good luck

AA

sprocket
21st Apr 2003, 16:09
It seems like ZA is not letting OE or IE access to the internet, and is waiting for your permission.

Try this …..
Open (restore) your ZA control centre and recheck your “program control” settings. Ensure the program control is set to medium and automatic lock is selected to “off”.

Then go to “Alerts & Logs” on your control centre and select “Alert Events Shown” to “On”.
Also check any other settings that may have changed during your update/reload as I think any interruptions to ZA’s installation can affect your existing preferences.

Close or minimise the control centre and try opening OE and IE again. This time ZA will probably display a dialogue box for you.

Man-on-the-fence
21st Apr 2003, 16:42
Checkboard

Thanks for that, its not a laptop. I will try the Tin Firewall if I can get ZA to work

Ausatco

Thats the last resort :D

Sproket

I will give it a go but the problem is deeper than that. It isnt letting the programs start let alone access the internet. Although the .exe is running as it shows up in processes, it odesnt show up in task manager like it should, as a guess ZA is blocking a .dll or two.

I do have the access control set to High, but this has always been the way and I havent had a problem before.

Thanks chaps:ok:

BOAC
23rd Jul 2003, 06:08
W98SE - anyone else getting the shut-down problem with the later versions of Free ZA? It brings up a box saying VSMon has clashed with Kernel32.

Tartan Giant
27th Jul 2003, 00:13
ZA alarm gave me a problem (for the very first time ever) when I decided to download the latest "signature" file 3.7.202.0 this morning.

My PC had been running great, right up till after the download.

I then disconnected my Broadband connection and ran through the install. All looked fine till I tried to get back on-line. Total freeze, as the PIPEX start up sequence stalled.

I went back to a good "restore point" (XPPro) and the Broadband connection fired up as good as ever.

I now have managed to get the latest "signature" downloaded and the Broadband working too.........but a silly 'glitch' this morning !

TG

roach
27th Jul 2003, 00:59
Are You sure it is ZA that is the problem?
I find if my connection to Pipex stalls on the first attempt the only way I can connect is to re boot the PC and try toconnect again.

Tartan Giant
27th Jul 2003, 06:10
Hi Roach,

I have NEVER had any "stalling" whilst trying to connect to Pipex DSL......it always connected first time, every time I have asked.....and fast too.....hit the Desktop icon and bang.......it's all there 5 seconds max.

It was never a problem until today, when I had a "hung start" !
Freeze................and it was only after I had installed the latest ZA signature, after the download and after the disconnect.

As I say, it's all A1 G1 Z1 now.

I can only assume (bad thing in aviation) there was a electronic glitch between shutting the connection down and the install.........don't ask me why/how...............it's the only factor I can think of. Why did it do that - the A320 of the PC world.

Cheers

TG

roach
27th Jul 2003, 19:38
This one for Tartan Giant
When I first started using broadband I used to disconect my connection if I was not going to use it for a while and found that I could not reconnect without rebooting my PC. I now just leave the broadband connection on all the time....I was just wondering if this is common or a Pipex thing?

Tartan Giant
28th Jul 2003, 02:22
Hi Roach,

I connect in the morning, get my emails or whatever, then if I'm not going to surf.......I disconnect.........sometimes I work on letters/projects..............then reconnect.........NO PROBLEMS.

Sometimes I shut down the whole PC.........but on start up again I can connect first time, every time, and always get 576 Kbps.

I never have to reboot or reset..........I should phone up/email Pipex with that problem you have.........it should not give you that grief.

One for the Tech Log I'm afraid !

Cheers

TG

PPRuNe Pop
28th Jul 2003, 04:11
Roach.

I have Pipex and never get any problems.

I would imagine you have a minor problem but a quick call Pipex as suggested is the best advice. But I would take a bet that a full re-install of the software would be an advantage.

The problem you pose is one of faulty software I guess.

PPP

proxus
30th Jul 2003, 06:48
Hi, can you further explain why ZA is not good on laptops ?

Regards
proxus