PDA

View Full Version : I/R renewal, cheap ?

PorcoRosso
8th Feb 2001, 22:52
I need to renew my ME/IR quite soon, and asked for some estimates ....bloody expensive !!!

Is it possible to renew overseas (ie USA )
If not, any advice about cheap options in UK ?

------------------
Flying is not dangerous, crashing is

foghorn
9th Feb 2001, 14:01
Four forces do a Sim-only renewal that's cheap. One of the few benefits of the JAR's is being able to renew your IR in the Sim...

TooHotToFly
9th Feb 2001, 15:11
The only problem with doing your IR renewal in a sim is that you can't combine it with revalidating your MEP class rating - this must be done in the aircraft.

Loony_Pilot
12th Feb 2001, 23:36
ok so I may sound stupid but what is an MEP class rating.

too many acronyms, pseudonyms etc

LP

PorcoRosso
13th Feb 2001, 01:33
Loony pilot :

You are not stupid, I agree with you that acronyms are confusing :

CPL / IR stands for Commercial Pilot Instrument Rated.
SEP means Single Engine Piston
MEP ------Multi Engine Piston

To summarise :

My privilege to fly Multi Engine Aircraft by sole reference to instruments, expired, and I need some re current training in order to get a bloody job

------------------

rolling circle
13th Feb 2001, 01:54
You can, as far as I'm aware, revalidate your IR anywhere in the world but it must be done with a CRE/IRE approved by the CAA who holds a CAA or JAA licence (assuming you have a UK issued licence). You might try asking around at the US schools which hold CAA approvals - if they happen to have a CRE/IRE on the staff he may be prepared to do it.

CRE - Class Rating Examiner
IRE - Instrument Rating Examiner

and, by the bye, to be pedantic CPL/IR is Commercial Pilot Licence and Instrument Rating

PorcoRosso
13th Feb 2001, 02:01
AAAAAArggl !! I managed to screw up the acronyms translation (that was the keyboard, not me !) ... If I can't get that right, I'll never be able to renew my I/R !

Well spotted Rolling_circle, and thank you for the advices. Actually I was suspecting something like that. I will ask to the CAA.

------------------

steve m
13th Feb 2001, 04:26
I don't know what your current rating is, but if they recognize a renewal done in Canada I can do it for around $500.00 - $1,000.00 CDN depending on how current yo may be. If interested leave message on web, and I can contact you or give more details. The school I work for is in western Canada.

PorcoRosso
13th Feb 2001, 22:19
Hi Steve

I am holding a british CPL / IR, if I want to renew it, it should be done by a CAA / JAA approved examiner.
I guess we can only find this specie in JAA approved schools.
Is it the case of the one you are flying for ?

Thanks for your help

------------------

steve m
18th Feb 2001, 22:54
It seems as though there is lots of confusion regarding JAA CAA alignment etc. Canada is currently implementing a JAA "aligned" course where the potential student will graduate with 150 hours, including a multi-IFR, and 400 hours of ground school (to my knowledge 1/2 of the European JAA ground school requirements). I can't personally see how this will benefit any new students wishing to enroll in this syllabus, again, because it's only 1/2 of a JAA requirement, and they will be graduating with only 150 hours as opposed to the current standard of 200. (Now the market in Canada will become saturated with even more lower time pilots than before). In regards to your question, I don't really know if the JAA will recognise a renewal done under our current rules. If anyone else out there knows or could find out the answer to this question it would help out alot of people in your position and would also potentially create alot more business for myself. The last IFR rating that I did for "brit" was done on his Canadian licence (he holds both UK and Canadian) which, as he told me, was recognised under a few different sanctions over there. Excuse any bad spelling - I'm a pilot not an english teacher! Cheers! Steve

PorcoRosso
19th Feb 2001, 01:25
Hi Steve
Finally, I found a place in Florida, approved by CAA & JAA, where I can do this renewal for cheaper than in europe.
I agree with you that we are living a complex transition, here in Europe, and a lot of points are still unclear.
Why people will try to get in a 1/2 JAA program is beyond me ! It would probably be advertised as cheaper, but definitely not recognised in Europe. I would recommend not to get in these syllabuses, as far as I am concerned.
If people are interested by information related to european I/R renewal in USA, I would be glad to share what I know.

Thanks Steve for the informations you gave me, and sorry, not to help your business. I would like to fly in Canada, for leisure.
Should this opportunity arise, I will contact you

many thanks

------------------

flite idol
20th Feb 2001, 06:09
Hello PR, please could you forward the details of that place in Florida for IR renewals. Address is in profile, cheers.!

Bear Cub
20th Feb 2001, 08:01
Pretty much ANY school can be used to revalidate your instrument rating. What it needs is a suitable aircraft (that will omit some) and access to an IRE (instrument rating examiner).

As you are not training for the initial issue of the original rating (or licence) you do not need to attend an approved school (right, rolling circle?).

There is not one school in Florida that has a CAA or JAA IRE on staff. Numerous schools have IRE's visiting them from the UK and will carry out renewal tests - but nobody has their own guy.

Anybody looking to do a renewal ESPECIALLY AT A FLORIDA SCHOOL should be very careful at the moment. DO NOT PAY IN ADVANCE.

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Superfly
3rd Mar 2001, 03:41
So Chaps,

How many hours MULTI/IR do you need to fly a year in order to remain current then ? I guess that it's ok to do them in the States ?I haven't got the I/R yet http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif but want to avoid being in the same situation as PorcoRosso.

Cheers, Superfly

AK747
3rd Mar 2001, 05:05
PR
I'm in the same situation as you are in right now...
The good thing is that I live in forida...and I'm pretty current on flying but I need to renew my CAA MEP/IR
so please if you know of a place where I can do the renewal let me know..
Email in profile.
Thanks
AK747

PorcoRosso
3rd Mar 2001, 18:25
AK747

I have contacted PanAm flight academy in Florida (they are advertising in Flight)
They have a visiting IRE/CRE, time to time.
He is supposed to come during March
Hope it helps :)

------------------