PDA

View Full Version : Undelivered mail

ICURA?
20th Apr 2003, 06:25
Keep getting messages that some email that I haven't sent was not able to be delivered. The email addresses are not in my address book. Help!! If it is a virus , Nortons is not picking it up!? I am using out look express. Hope some one out there can help.

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2003, 07:35
Is someone using your email address to send spam?

That would explain why Norton is not finding a virus - it's not one, Just some malicious little g*t has harvested your address.

Gary.

ICURA?
20th Apr 2003, 17:12
Thanks for the info Gary. Now is there any thing I can do to stop it short of changing my email address , and how did it happen in the first place and can I stop it from happening again. The returned email looks like spam.

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2003, 21:28
Not really much you can do, The deluge will slow down and then stop.

What I would suggest for the future though is that you becareful when downloading stuff from the web, If you have to supply an email address use a throwaway account (like hotmail) and keep another email address for private/personal use.

Also, anytime you get a spam email with 'click here to unsubscribe' - DON'T - It just confirms your email address is active.

Hope that helps,

Gary.

ICURA?
22nd Apr 2003, 16:57
Gary,
Thanks for your help and info.

PaperTiger
22nd Apr 2003, 23:59
Sounds very much like the Klez/Magistr family of viruses. Your email address is being used as the proxy, which is why you're getting the undeliverable messages.

Someone who has your email in their address book is the infected party. Not much you can do except wait for it to subside as noted above. And there is no way you can find out who has your address (with or without your permission). Using a spoof address for bulletin boards and usenet cuts down your exposure, but it's not foolproof.