PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Libretto...any opinions?

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 05:40
I have a PC which I use for work and serious stuff, and an oldish second hand laptop so I can PPRuNe and watch TV and have my cats on my lap all at the same time. This all works fine, except if I want to travel, the laptop is seriously large and heavy - about 3.5 kg. I really want something small and light; it doesn't need to be fancy or have loads of memory, as I only need it for Internet, emails, simple games like Freecell, and maybe a bit of writing or similar. After a bit of searching around on ebay and similar, I came upon the Toshiba Libretto - about the size of a video cassette, less than a kilo in weight, quite a few around although it hasn't been made for several years, and quite cheap. It really looked like a nice little machine. Perfect, I thought. Well, maybe...but I don't really know anything about them...and not much about computers generally. Anyone know about them? Any opinions?

Now don't you all go buying them on ebay before I can get there!! :)

Right, I know this is my third thread in a row. I'd forgotten about this forum, and it could be useful. But I'll stop posting new threads now, honest!!!!!!

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 19:15
TCS,

Thanks for that! I woke up this morning panicking in case the one with the highest spec and extra memory and a docking station and a leather case etc had already gone on ebay...it was a "Buy It Now"...and I knew I HAD to have it. Your recommendation added to my certainty - I've just bought it!!!

Now, I think I'd better ban myself from ebay and gadget buying for a while! :)

18-Wheeler
20th Apr 2003, 23:39
(Hope this works)

Here's a pic of mine -

http://www.billzilla.org/moteclibretto.jpg

I use it in my car to tune the Motec EFI computer.

Whirlybird
21st Apr 2003, 04:07
Wow, 18 Wheeler, that is really neat. I can't wait for mine to arrive now!

Tinstaafl
21st Apr 2003, 05:29
What model did you get, Whirly? 50, 70 or 100 series?

I wouldn't mind the 100 series for a cheapy travel device. The others are a bit too limited for my taste. The 100 series has a fair bit faster processor with MMX extensions, more memory & an 800x480 screen.

Alternatively for a top range thing I really like the Fujitsu P2020... :cool:

Whirlybird
21st Apr 2003, 17:16
And the prize for guessing correctly goes to...TCS.

It now looks to my non-techie mind as though it's very little different from my old laptop (Compaq Armada something-or-other, a few years old), but less than half the size and about a quarter of the weight. I do need a CDRom drive for it, but the guy selling it says he'll have one of those in a couple of weeks. Of course, my original plan to spend about £200 has ended up being over double that, but that's life. :)

Tinny, tell me about the Fujitsu P2020; not heard of it.

Tinstaafl
21st Apr 2003, 21:14
Hi Whirly, I really should have said the 'P2000 series'.

They're part of Fujiitsu's 'Lifebook' range. The P series is an ultraportable notebook, approx. a lappy keyboard in width, depth is just enough to fit a DVD/CD-RW drive.

Screen is widescreen 1280x800 ~10" wide. Processor is a Crusoe up to 900 or so MHz. Battery life ~3.5 hrs, double that if a high capacity battery is used.