PDA

View Full Version : Access Denied. Why??

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 05:29
I recently upgraded my PC from Windows 95 to Windows 98 SE. Yes, I know everyone else is now on Windows XP, but I don't need anything that fancy and modern, so I never bothered upgrading..if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Anyway, after one or two minor blips it all worked fine...almost. BUT I have three ISPs, and although they'll all now send and receive emails, two of them won't let me use the Internet; I get a message saying "Access Denied" or something similar. I asked someone about it, and he mumbled something about needing different settings. Er...what settings, and what do I need to do with them? All help greatly appreciated, in simple language for a complete non techie. Many thanks.

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2003, 07:38
Where does 'access denied' appear?

Is it when you are dialing up or when you are sending email or browsing?

BTW, Windows 98SE is a very solid platform, It works so use it. I won't touch XP until SP2 is released......

Gary.

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 19:10
Gary,

They're both absolutely fine for dialling up and for anything to do with emails. It's when I actually try and get on to my home page on the Internet. I get the following message:

FORBIDDEN
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.

Any idea what I can do about it?

(I'm off to my laptop to try and sort out your solution to my other problem!)

Many thanks.

Whirlybird
21st Apr 2003, 17:18
Well??? You mean none of you know! :eek: And I thought you guys knew everything. :{

Ronbmy
21st Apr 2003, 18:06
On broadband...

In IE, go to Tools, Internet options, Connections. Press the LAN Settings button and uncheck the Proxy Server setting.

If dialup then delete the current dialups and recreate them.

Should(?) fix it.