PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't send emails.

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 05:24
My laptop has just developed a problem. I've had it for a couple of years, using Outlook Express and Windows 98, with everything being just fine. Now, suddenly, for no obvious reason, it disconnects every time it finishes sending or receiving emails. This means I can't actually send any, as they go to Norton Anti-virus, and then it disconnects before they can be sent where they're going. Before you tell me, the little box in the details section of my Inbox saying "disconnect when finished" is NOT ticked. I've checked everything I know of, and can't see why it's happening. Today I made a new connection, in case that helped; it didn't. If it's a clue, this seemed to start after I downloaded the software for my new digital camera. I've since uninstalled it and got it on my PC instead (didn't have a USB port on that till recently, or I'd have done that in the first place). I don't know if that could have affected it, but the timing's right.

Any ideas anyone? Please tell me in words of one syllable, as I'm not terrribly computer literate. Many thanks in advance.

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2003, 07:46
Seen this one MANY times.

Norton AV is acting as an email proxy - It recevies the emails, scans them and sends them on, Or it's supposed to.

What you need to do is to change outlook express so that the email goes to your ISP and not to the AV software.

To do this:

Launch outlook express
Click on tools -> accounts -> Mail

click on your account (there may be more than one in the list)

Click on properties

Click on servers

Change the outgoing mails server from localhost (may be down as 127.0.0.1) to the email server your ISP tells you to use.

Click on OK and test!

If this doesn't work or your not sure let me know.

Gary.

FJJP
20th Apr 2003, 15:57
Alternatively, if you're using Norton Systemworks...

Open Systemworks

Select Options

Select E-mail

Untick the "Scan outgoing e-mail"

Click ok

PPRuNe Pop
20th Apr 2003, 16:20
Why is it that Norton is such a pain in the computer! It screws up systems time after time.

Won't have even the name in mine - let alone it's progs. :yuk:

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2003, 19:39
It worked!!!!! :) :) :) FJJP, I did it your way (less buttons to press), and now I can send emails again. Many many thanks. Isn't PPRuNe wonderful?

However, that is only part of the problem...though the major part. I still want to stop it disconnecting. What happens is, I have two email addresses, right. So it sends emails, then disconnects. I connect again and it checks for messages on one, then disconnects. I do that again for the second one and it disconnects again. Then I connect again and head for PPRuNe and happily stay there for far too long. :) Now, as I'm sure you can understand, this is livable with, but a complete nuisance. And it never used to do it!!!! And the "Hang up when finished" box is definitely not ticked.

Any ideas, you wonderful computer expert people who inhabit this forum (I'm serious; I really do appreciate it).

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Apr 2003, 21:25
Whirlybird,

To stop it disconnecting:

Launch outlook express
Click on tools -> accounts -> Mail

click on your account (there may be more than one in the list)

Click on properties

Click on connection

REMOVE the tick from always connect to this account using.

Do that for all of the email accounts listed and that will fix the disconnect problem.

Unless of course you don't want to do it that way.... :{ :D

Whirlybird
21st Apr 2003, 00:24
Gary,

I'll do it any way that works! Ohh....yes...I chose someone else's way over yours before didn't I, sorry!!!!! :) Anyway, two minutes, and it worked!!!!! Wonderful! And I think you now have a regular reader of this amazing wonderful forum. Thank you.

PPRuNeUser0171
21st Apr 2003, 00:31
No worries Whirlybird, I'll let you off... THIS TIME! :D

It's nice to be able to contribute to pprune in a useful manner, especially as I am not a pilot!!

Gary.

Whirlybird
21st Apr 2003, 02:27
Gary,

Pilots on PRuNe are two a penny, but computer experts...I was getting desperate! I'll ask on here first next time I have a problem. Thanks again!

PPRuNeUser0171
21st Apr 2003, 02:45
LOL! glad to help!!

I'm always lurking around this forumn so if I can be of any more help just post a question!

Gary.

FJJP
21st Apr 2003, 19:51
Re disconnecting..... As well as the instruction from williamsg, you need to do the following:

Select tools

Options

Connections

Untick the "Hang up after sending and receiving" box.

....And yes, Pprune is wonderful - been a great help to me in the past. Glad to be able to help others...

FJJP :ok:

Danny
21st Apr 2003, 20:42
Whirly, there is rarely a reason why you should have to disconnect from one ISP to check mail on another mailbox. Whilst I am not a PC user (Mac is the way) I check mail in at least 5 different accounts on other domains from one email program. You should have some option so that Outlook Express can check the email in all your accounts at the same time.

Glad that you find PPRune useful for more mundane things. :ok:

Whirlybird
22nd Apr 2003, 01:33
Danny,

I know I shouldn't, and I never had to before. But my laptop seemed to have suddenly developed a mind of its own!!!! Anyway, having followed Gary's instructions, it's all working fine again, with both ISPs happily working in harmony and checking each others' emails.

So I'll remember PPRuNe is good for computing problems as well as flying issues...and be on here even more often than I was already.:ok: