PDA

View Full Version : just another silly question

kleine
8th Feb 2001, 19:20
here I come again with another studid question:
can somebody tell me what GCSE and A-levels are. I live in Germany and have the abitur and I don't have the slightest idea how to compare them as I am in the process of applying for BA.

Thanks again and many happy landings!
Kleine

Mariner9
8th Feb 2001, 19:34
I've no idea what an arbitur is either.

GCSE's are taken when you're about 16, and A levels when you're about 18. (Assuming you're of reasonable intelligence & not a lazy sod.)

Hope that helps!

Why BA...what's wrong with Lufthansa?

RVR800
8th Feb 2001, 19:35
GCSEs mostly taken at 16 used to be called
ORDINARY levels passes are A thru C
The benchmark standard is 5 grade C or above
for many jobs - but this is a minimum

ADVANCED Levels mostly taken at 18 (grades A thru E) are what all the good UNIVERSITIES require for admission in the UK e.g Cambridge
People take at least 3 for admission to such places and typically get high grades i.e. AAA

Its possible = but not desirable to bipass the above in the UK, as employers refer back to this as a key performance indicator

How this relates to Germany I dont know

capt_kangeroo
8th Feb 2001, 19:48
Hi, thanks for posting this question.

I need to find a distance learning and am deciding between Bristol Groundschool and Coventry's AFT. There's a £1000 difference in price so any comments or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Island Hopper
9th Feb 2001, 15:55
kleine,
As far as I'm aware, the abitur is comparable to the a-level

kleine
9th Feb 2001, 22:33
Lufthansa f*cked me with the stupid excuse that I am too young (20 years) and do not have enough life experience.

The thing is that I may be young, but I have way more experience in life that he may think! (lived in USA,travelled a lot).
Oh, yeah, and he was not that woman friendly.
Hope that's better with BA :-)