View Full Version : RN FW streaming - what's the story?

Rusty Cessna
20th Apr 2003, 02:54
Hiya everyone,

My apologies if this is a repeat, but I couldn't find anything to answer my question. Basically I am trying to find out what the current standing is on RN Fixed Wing recruitment, post grading. I know that I will probably find out soon after joining BRNC (not long now), but I would like to get the heads up before I go.

From my understanding the plan was to train increased numbers of aircrew for conversion onto the RAF Harriers, and certain tranches to then be sent to the US for training on the JSF.

I have recently heard reports however that now no new aircrew are being streamed FW, and are now being directed in the general direction of Merlin, and that current FW crews are to be sent to the US.

Can anyone in the know give me some breif common knowledge info on what the plan is for new aircrew. I'm not worried about being streamed rotary by the way, FW or RW either way I'll be as chuffed as a chuffed thing!

Many thanks for any info.
Rusty.

Chuffer Chadley
20th Apr 2003, 04:02
Rusty

Having left the RN aviation world a wee little while ago, I can't give you the very very latest gen. However, it is certainly true that streaming doesn't take place until after EFT (not grading!)- so you won't be streamed until you have been in the RN for a good two years or more.

I would suggest that exactly what the policy will be regards this prickly issue will have changed around a dozen times between now and then... so my advice: relax, and don't worry about it!

Good luck at BRNC.

CC

AllTrimDoubt
20th Apr 2003, 04:03
Subject to successful completion of your JEFTS course to the requisite standard, you will be considered for FW if you have demonstrated the right aptitude, capacity, determination, personal skills etc.

No secrets, just hard work!

Good Luck...and enjoy it!

Rusty Cessna
20th Apr 2003, 04:09
Many thanks,

i'm not exactly up tight about the issue, just trying to gen up on everything that isn't clear before I go.

Thanks for putting me right about the time of streaming. I was lead to beleive streaming was done after grading, I didn't ealise it was after EFT, so thanks for that, much apreciated!

Can't wait!

Cheers,
Rusty.

Thud Ridge
21st Apr 2003, 02:52
If you do get streamed RW at EFT then you can still be sent to BFJT at Linton after BFT at RAF Shawbury.

Even if you go frontline RW there is the hawk course at RNAS Yeovilton and if you pass that after your first/second/third tour then you will be sent to Valley to do the course there.

All FW guys going through linton at the moment will go GR7/9, though a few may be sent to the US to do F18s (lucky ******s).

This is the situation at the moment. As with all thing naval, it will change every week for a different policy.

TR

AllTrimDoubt
21st Apr 2003, 19:52
Sorry Cessna...

Forgot to mention the 309 option from the Fleet that TR refers to. The ex-Shawbury route has only recently opened for those who were "almost" there at the end of EFT and who subsequently did well and set the pace during rotary.

Not much sign on policy change...we still need quality in both RW and FW.

Cheers

Rusty Cessna
21st Apr 2003, 20:24
Many thanks for the replies.

it is pleasing to know of the existance of the "309 option". And it is also a comfort to know that my original beleif that there is flexibility in the fleet is still (within reason) about.

The streaming process is something I am actually really looking forward to, whatever I have the privelege to end up on. Just out of curiosity do aircrew have a chance to specify a preference to type?

Anyway, I am sure I will hear some way or another of the inevitable plans for future aircrew whilst I am at BRNC. Only a few weeks left until I join now, so I better go and read some more rules of the road!

Regards,
Rusty.

AllTrimDoubt
22nd Apr 2003, 01:56
With regards to streaming within the FAA, clearly your preference for FW will be considered by those making the decisions at EFT stage (although my previous post regarding other factors is still the major player!). If you do end up following the rotary route then your performance during Basic and Advanced @ Shawbury will lend some weight as to your eventual streaming. Of prime consideration of course are the inevitable "needs of the Service"! And then of course personal preference...