PDA

View Full Version : I know its dull...but statistics....

Little Fly Girl
8th Feb 2001, 17:52
Please help me....with my coursework!
I am about to spend the next 4 weeks of my life sweating and straining to complete my maths statistics coursework... :rolleyes:

I think that the time would pass more quickly if my work was aviation related, makes it a tad more 'fun' (if that is at all possible!) :)

So, what I'm after is some aviation-related stats or ideas for stats to search for etc.....pleeeaaasssseeee!!!!

Hope you can help, many thanks!

(and sorry for polluting this fine website with rubbish.... just thought it was a good place to start!)

LFG

togaroo
8th Feb 2001, 18:38
Grab a heap of old copies of fligth International, Airline Business or Air Transport world - a university business school will usually hold these pubs. In here are published statistics on different airline info. December edition of Air Transport World had a listing of the top 100 airlines, profits, size etc..

good luck!

------------------
Its life Jim, but not as we know it!!

RVR800
8th Feb 2001, 18:52
Try the following site - there is lots of data on pilot licences and ratings if you dig
into personnel licensing ..

http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/homepage.asp

BreakRight
8th Feb 2001, 20:07
LFG,

There used to be a thread running (in Aircrew Notices) called 'are pilots mostly first born children?' which had loads of responses stating where amongst their siblings pilots were, might be worth it, something diffirent.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/000851.html

------------------
You came in that thing! You`re braver than I thought.

[This message has been edited by BreakRight (edited 08 February 2001).]

Rote 8
8th Feb 2001, 20:16
You could do some research into forecast growth of aviation in the next few years, possibly a comparison with retirements of exisiting aircrew over the same period and a look at the number of pilots currently training. There is some statistical information on the forecast growth of air traffic on the aviation website of the DETR - Department of the Environment and the Regions. Im sure there is bags of relevant information available out there. Perhaps when you have finished you could post your findings back here, that way we could wave it in front of our bank managers and justify our Professional Development Loans :)

Rusty Cessna
8th Feb 2001, 20:31
Fly Girl!!

It seems we have something in commom, I am about to start this also, I was going to analyse Salaries in the aviation industry, but hopefully there are some better things to do!!

Thanks in advance, oh, and is this MEI/OCR AS Maths??

Rusty

Lucifer
8th Feb 2001, 22:29
For that project, I really would keep it simple if I were you. Even if aviation seems more interesting, you can, and I have got myself in terrible messes trying to do stats projects on things I thought were fun when I was back at school. Do the simplest thing that you can think of, which you can apply a lot of tests to (use all of those distributions etc)

BlueLine
8th Feb 2001, 23:04
Why do more pilots have girls than boys. It appeared true in the military (high G and too much beer) not sure if its true in the civil world.

I am of couse referring to children.

[This message has been edited by BlueLine (edited 08 February 2001).]

PIC
9th Feb 2001, 00:11
Hi Fly Girl,

Hope you are well. I was in your shoes this time last year and boy am I glad I am over it! Anyway, the main thing is not to stress about it too much. Once you start working on it, you'll actually begin to enjoy it (or was it just me?).

I decided to collect data on wing-spans and lengths of 50 different airliners which are in service today, in order to investigate any correlation which may lie between these two variables. The business-case that I used to justify the need for the project was that since air travel continues to increase, the data processed from the investigation can be used my airports to predict future operating capacity needed in order to accomodate the increase movements of air traffic on the ground. Some examples that you could discuss are determining the dimensions of aircraft stands, aprons, taxiway, runways etc. Mentioning the upcoming (and ugly) A380 may further strengthen your case for the need of this investigation.

If my memory serves me right, I (somehow) managed to achieve 14/15 for this coursework using the above specified data and business case. If I (a 'THICKO')can do it, then you could to even better!

If you need further assistance, drop me an e-mail and I'll help you as much as I can.

I am sure youl'll be fine...Good Luck!

LUCK = OPPORTUNITY + PREPARATION

PIC.

Little Fly Girl
9th Feb 2001, 02:34
:) WHAT STARS YOU ALL ARE!! :)

Thanks so much for your help. I didn't expect to get a any response to this post, just thought I'd try anyway.....glad I haven't had any abuse from people telling me to get a life!! ;)

Coursework is a pain in the a**e, but I will find it far more interesting now!
Will keep you all posted as to how I get on...

Hi Rusty, doing MEI course, but it's the old (ie last year's!) exam, so not sure if it's the same coursework as you...(?) I'm in my second year, just doing AS maths and stopping....I'm not that mad! ;)

Anyway, many many many thanks again,

One very very happy LFG :)

Little Fly Girl
9th Feb 2001, 04:44
me again....

I've tried to open the post previously mentioned 'Are pilots mostly first born children?' of 30 June 2000... but all I am faced with (after my lengthly efforts!!) is a blank page...
Anyone got any ideas as to how I can find this post?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

Jimmy Mack
9th Feb 2001, 15:54
One of the (ahem...few) things the CAA are good at is collecting statistics. If you look at their web site there's all sorts of info about pilot licencing by age band/type of licence.

The analysis work has already been done for you!

http://www.caa.co.uk

Look under:
Safety Regulation
Personnel Licencing & Medical
Flight Crew Licencing
Information
Statistics

Good Luck.

(Yes guys I know I am sad knowing this is there!)

:)

BreakRight
9th Feb 2001, 19:32
LFG,

I dont seem to have a problem clicking on the hypertext in my post, if it still doesnt work try running a search for the thread, if that still doesnt work let me know and I will E-Mail you the page.

------------------
You came in that thing! You`re braver than I thought.

Rusty Cessna
9th Feb 2001, 20:19
Fly Girl!

Im actually quiet insane and continuing for the second year, but by what I can see this is the same coursework, good luck, give me an e-mail to see how ya get on, we might be able to help each other.

PIC,

That Idea is similar to one I had, and so If you dont mind I might vary it and use a basis of it, could I give you an e-mail to chat about the details??

Thanks very much all.

Rusty

Lu Zuckerman
9th Feb 2001, 23:14
To: Little Fly Girl

Here is a subject you might find interesting. Look into the manipulation of statistical data and the calculation of failure probability in the certification of commercial aircraft.

------------------
The Cat