PDA

View Full Version : Uk Government palns to allow company doctors to sign you off sick

Wig Wag
19th Apr 2003, 21:06
Have a look at the following:

http://www.cabinet-office.gov.uk/news/2002/020110_delivery.asp

As part of plans to cut GP appointments the Government is looking at allowing company's to 'manage' sickness absenteeism by authorising company doctors to sign you off sick.

Well, that could really put the cat amongst the pidgeons couldn't it?

I honestly don't know any airline pilot who hasn't taken a sickie now and then due to reasons other than pure illness. Fatigue is probably the most common reason. Call in fatigued too often and most airlines would want to know more about you. Imagine if you had to declare to another company employee every reason for being off sick. Presumably the management would require the company doctor to 'help them out' in times of staff shortages?

My last airline had a company doctor. The airline would always encourage you to see him if you had a problem. However, they couldn't force you to see him. Matters relating to flying fitness could be authorised by any AME thus allowing privacy.

There is a piece on Ceefax Page 120 today which states that Doctors have yet to vote on the issue. I think the pilot community in Britain should keep a close eye on this one.