PDA

View Full Version : A cracking book!

Mister Geezer
7th Feb 2001, 20:57
Hi folks!

I bought a new book, which finally arrived today in the post!

'The Jet Engine'
ISBN 0 902121 2 35

It is written by Rolls Royce.

I would seriously recommend this book to any wannabe, lots of useful knowledge for anyone prior to getting into the books for the CPLs and ATPLs. Lots of superb info and lots or easy to understand diagrams!!! etc

Not too heavy but very very interesting!

I got my copy from Transair but I could not find any info from Amazon.

MG!

------------------
It's a limited RAS as you approach my dark area.......

7th Feb 2001, 21:08
Kama Sutra, now there's a cracking book. Number 72 fairly tricky through.

Mister Geezer
7th Feb 2001, 21:32
Still looking for that one in the Transair catalogue!!!!! :) :)

------------------
It's a limited RAS as you approach my dark area.......

left outer, right inner
7th Feb 2001, 21:46
AAAGGGHHHH!

I know who you are young sir...suits you ooohhh!!!!

Have fun the other day at sunny old Cranebank? The wait is bad heh! Guess we will know soon enough (I reckon I failed...maybe)

Speak soon about the results ok, LORI

Rusty Cessna
8th Feb 2001, 15:02
Bought it, loved it, got me an A is Physics project.

Total thumbs up, thanks to the GO pilot that introduced me to it!

Rusty
:) :) :)

Blindside
8th Feb 2001, 17:51
Can anyone give some advice as to the best books to purchase prior to PPL training?

Trevor Thom? Jeremy Pratt? Others?

I am aiming to improve my knowledge before starting a course and to utilise the dark winters evenings.

Cheers

AYLGR
8th Feb 2001, 21:35
When I did my CPL techs, the CAA screwed up and booked my Jet Engines exam for the (wrong) earlier session the following week. Rushed out, bought the book, read it over the weekend and got 90% in the exam. I think many of the CAA questions are sourced from this book.

Bob

GRpr
8th Feb 2001, 22:00
Blindside, I would recommend a general book on the theory of flight to start with, as a gentle introduction, and then Trevor Thom volume 4. As to the former, I have no hesitation in recommending 'Flight without Formulae' by A C Kermode. I picked up my copy for 10p at a summer fair. It was the first edition, printed in 1940, when quite a lot of folk suddenely became interested in aeroplanes!!! I was staggered to find, on a trip to Transair, that it is still in print! It is easy to understand, and a great read - quite superb. By the end, you'll know a lot more about flight theory than most PPLs. I guess it will cost you more than 10p, and, sorry to say - since it has been revised - that it probably won't have the plates in the middle of "The Pilot's Cockpit" (Short Empire Flying Boat), "Upside Down Flight" (The Hawker Hurricane), "An Airship" (The Graf Zeppelin), and "It's the Same the Whole World Over" !!!(an Me109 with Handley Page automatic wing tip slots, variable camber flaps, elevators with horn balance, .....).

Blindside
9th Feb 2001, 13:58
GRpr

Thankyou.

Superfly
9th Feb 2001, 18:17
Hi everyone, Does anyone know a good book about JAA performance ? Many thanks > I'm struggling with my "official books"