PDA

View Full Version : Internet options?

tony draper
18th Apr 2003, 17:33
I recently installed a new modem, 56k dial up, I usualy log on to the internet and just leave it connected all day, but for some reason it keeps closing the connection if there is no keyboard or mouse activity for a few minutes, so when I return and type or use the mouse it has to redial.
I know there is a setting for this somewhere(close connection if no activity for(blah blah). but I cannot find it now.
Can anybody point me to the location of this setting?.
Thanks in advance
:confused:

spekesoftly
18th Apr 2003, 18:40
Depends on your O/S, but for Windows XP:-

Control Panel/Network Connections/Dial-Up/General/Properties/Options/ Idle time before hanging up

Some ISPs also impose their own 'Idle Time' disconnect (circa 10-20mins)

sprocket
18th Apr 2003, 18:46
Go to Internet Options ..

- connections tab
- "settings" button
- "properties" button
- "configure" button
- "connection" tab
- The disconnect option should be there under "call preferences"

... er, yer welcome, in advance.

:8

tony draper
18th Apr 2003, 19:39
Sorry, should have posted the OS, it is win 98, thank you Sprocket , done that, it was set for 5 mins, must have reset to defalts when I was pratting about with the new modem.
Thanks again peeps.
;)

terryJones
18th Apr 2003, 21:54
drapes

Prob solved then, good. The point 'spekesoftly' made was valid here, my isp dissed the conection after about 15 mins of doing nothing. I found the best way out of it was to set the Email to check for mail every 10 mins. This kept it alive.

TJ

Keygrip
18th Apr 2003, 21:57
Sneaky barsteward!!

Any other good "work around" tips?

Mac the Knife
20th Apr 2003, 03:07
"..set the Email to check for mail every 10 mins.."

Good dodge. But if ISPs closing connections after a timeout is your problem goto http://www.pclightning.com/ and download Peili Chen's nifty Keep It Alive free program.

Neat, cute, efficient and configurable - works like a charm.

BRL
20th Apr 2003, 19:58
.....or simply go broadband....... :p :}

spekesoftly
21st Apr 2003, 08:26
Nice if you can get it! :(

terryJones
21st Apr 2003, 19:56
Broadband.....
We only just got past the stage where you turn the handle before you make a phone call:(
We don't even get cable within a mile of here.

Mac the Knife
I already got about a thousand apps running in the background already.....:confused:

Danny
21st Apr 2003, 20:35
One problem you may find if you are not on broadband and you keep your connection live all the time is that your ISP will block you out after a set number of hours every month. Whilst most ISP's will boot you off after 2 hours you can still exceed their limits. I suggest you read their terms and conditions as there is usally a clause in there where they can boot you forever if you are considered to be abusing their system.

Anytime never actually means that. It means anytime you actually need to be online. One of the ISP's I used had a limit of 160 hours a month and any attempt to log on after that limit had been reached would prove fruitless.

Thankfully I get broadband early next month and so I hope that will be the end of the endless problems I have had over the years from tw@t ISP's who try to promote limitless internet access when in fact they all have arbitary limits which really give you a bad hair day when you can't log on anymore.