PDA

View Full Version : Which US School to Complete PPL?

Learner Flyer
7th Feb 2001, 14:27
Pressure of work and the recent UK weather has forced me to look outside the country to complete my PPL in a reasonable time. I need to be able to dedicate a complete week to flying, with guaranteed weather! I’ve got all the JAR exams passed, together with the RT. I now need about 10 hours to complete, allowing for revision and familiarisation with the US procedures. I have taken a couple of lessons there, mainly for fun during business trips. East or West coast US is fine by me, as would be anywhere else with a CAA/JAR examiner and good WX.

Checking the current threads and archives I’m aware of the problems discussing individual schools in the forum, but would like some up to date input. Please email me directly with your recent experiences of the good, bad and ugly.

Any general advice or other options that can go straight into the thread welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Grass Stripper
7th Feb 2001, 16:16
Hi LF,

Check your email!

Cheers
:) :)GrST :) :)

Grandad Flyer
8th Feb 2001, 01:55
Feel free to e-mail me, I've flown a fair bit in the US including doing licences and ratings there.

sd
8th Feb 2001, 04:03
On reflection I have decided to edit this post. My anger over a certain, now well known and notorious 'school' is not worth being banned from this extremely useful site for!
email me if you intend heading North East of Orlando!

[This message has been edited by sd (edited 08 February 2001).]

GPS Approach
8th Feb 2001, 15:58
Learner Flyer,

If you wanted guaranteed WX, then its got to be California, Florida is prone to Thunderstorms.

Also the flying is a lot more challenging in California, lots of terrain to negotiate and a lot more busier airspace.

I did my flying at Anglo American Aviation in San Diego. E-Mail me if you want more info or check their website at www.flyaaa.com (http://www.flyaaa.com)

Before the California bashers start, I've also done a lot of flying out of Florida from a well known school near Daytona. I didn't have any problems there, but feel free to E-Mail me with questions about them as well.

Good luck with the flying wherever you decide to go.

Regards

GPS Approach.

------------------
Aargh, that was the taxiway we landed on!

Learner Flyer
8th Feb 2001, 16:30
Thanks for all the info so far - please keep it flowing.

LF :)

Mariner9
8th Feb 2001, 20:00
While doing my ppl-in-21 days slog in Fla, a guy arrived in virtually the same position as you, namely 10 hours to go, QXC, & Skills test. Should have been plenty of time to complete in the 1 week he'd booked.

Thanks to crappy scheduling, he was left to do both his QXC & skills test on the day he flew back to the UK. Unfortunately, due to early morning fog delaying things he had to leave without doing his skills test. Didn't get any refund either. Mail me if you want more details.