PDA

View Full Version : BAE Web Site

Shamrock 321
6th Feb 2001, 22:27
At last I got the link to the BAE Flight Training site...
Check out www.baesystems.es (http://www.baesystems.es)

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Feb 2001, 01:27
Thanks for that - saved me the trouble!

Cheers

Shamrock 321
7th Feb 2001, 03:50
Hey WWW,

Any commission for plugging the site? !!

We probably owe you more in consultancy fees anyway!

togaroo
7th Feb 2001, 16:23
Great to see some info on the web - some feedback

1 When you print to get a hard copy you end up with the background as well - can this be separated or is the text and the background not layered/ - not a web expert.

2 Also the white flash at the bottom of the background image is white and the white text becomes a little hard to read

Otherwise great!
It would be good if it could be expanded to include a chat page and other information pages for potential cadets - hint! or will that be passed on to future cadets (volunteer?)

cheers lads

------------------
Its life Jim, but not as we know it!!

Shamrock 321
8th Feb 2001, 00:37
hey togaroo,

In Internet Explorer you can prevent the background image being printed by selecting Internet Options from the Tools menu (IE 4+). On the advanced tab there is a node called "Printing" towards the end of the list. Simply clear the checkbox and the background should not be printed.. (I hope..) I haven't tried it myself, let me know if it works...

Other option is to save the page as plain text (*.txt) and print the .txt file. You will however lose all the text formatting on the page.

Good Luck

togaroo
8th Feb 2001, 13:09
Shamrock,

In the internet options, I had the background printing box unchecked so it shouldnt have printed, but printing from ie4 on our network is weird, as some sites will print fine and others will cause ie4 to shut down?? The joys of computing I guess. As for a plain unformatted copy, I do usually copy (select all) the text and paste unformatted into a word doc to get a print out if it proves to be a hassle.

One other thing that some one told me about scanned images of logos - to make them much more sharper save them as .gif files instead of .jpg, as the .jpg compresses the image in a funny way whereas the .gif format does not give this type of distortion to the hard lines of text / logos.

Sorry, not trying to tell you how to do your job, but I thought that was a handy tip to have picked up on.

One last thing - the A320 image looks great but it does tkae some time to load up as background.

See you guys soon!

Shamrock 321
8th Feb 2001, 20:03
Hey togaroo,
Don't worry, I have no connection with the BAe web site, I simply got the URL and posted here for everyone.
As for the gif/jpg thing, you are dead right. GIF uses lossless compression which does not distort the original images where JPG uses lossy compression and works on the fact that your eye can only detect a certain level of variation within colours.
As for the A320, I agree it does take a bit of time to download but you could always turn off background images!!! Wouldn't the web be fun then !

togaroo
9th Feb 2001, 12:37
Hey - thats cool, I'm just glad that there is now a website!

Hasta Luego!

Capt Wannabe
19th Feb 2001, 17:46
Have a look at http://www.hughconnolly.co.uk for more photos etc.

------------------
CW

wxjedi
20th Feb 2001, 07:50
Must be a smart guy where does he get the time to do the website and the JARS!
Its a better page than BAEs