View Full Version : Ministry of Defence Police Bungling

Scud-U-Like
17th Apr 2003, 18:32
Several weeks ago, I heard that responsibility for internal perimeter security at RAF Fairford, which is currently home to 14 B52 bombers and their ordnance, has been removed from the MoD Police, because they (allegedly, whilst napping) allowed protesters to enter the base and cause criminal damage. Apparently, perimeter security has now been handed over to the RAF Police, with an augmentation force of RAF Cosford trainees. Since this changeover, there have been no further incursions onto the base.

I read today that a committee of MPs have lambasted security procedures at the Royal Mint. By some accident of history, security at the Mint is provided by (guess who) the MoD Police.

This police force costs the MoD £152 million per year. Frankly, we do not appear to be getting much bang for our buck. Can anyone explain to whom, in practice, the MoD police are accountable and what, if any, consequences are likely to result from their apparent laxity?

The Gorilla
17th Apr 2003, 18:40
The important letters here are MOD

Therefore they are accountable to NO ONE

:uhoh:

rivetjoint
17th Apr 2003, 19:33
The Mod Plod at Fairford are actually Mod Plod Agency on hire to the USAF. I don't know how much input the base commander has in their operation though.