PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town

FormerFlyer
17th Apr 2003, 05:52
First trip there in the planning for Dec 03 for about a week. Using up the BA Miles on a 2for1 offer with my AMEX card means the boyf comes free too!

So what do you recommend there? Where to stay - in the CBD, at the V&A Waterfront or out of town? What's best to do & where are the better beaches?

I look forward to your recommendations...and reporting back on them in 8 months or so from now!

cheers ;)

FF

PAXboy
18th Apr 2003, 03:42
Hi FF,

CPT = Good Choice. :ok:
I spent several weeks there in January and February this year visiting friends. I have known Cape Town since 1966 (I was VERY young. That's why I'm PaxBOY and not PaxGeriatric). :p

The downtown area is very good and easy access etc. But the city is not big and if you stay out of the centre, it is quick and easy to get into the city.

I'll look up some info for you and get back next week with some detail.

As to beaches - the trendy ones are the various Clifton beaches but they are on the Atlantic and colder than beaches in False Bay, around 'the corner' of Cape Point. The 'family' beach is Camps Bay and very lovely, particularly popular as the Sundowner Beach. Folks take a cool bag of wine/beer to watch the sun set. Also on The Atlantic. If you want the naturist beach, then it is Sandy Bay. A little out of the way and on the Atlantic but very lovely.

A hire car is needed for most of the time, public transport is not reccomended but many mini-tours are available. Particularly useful for the wine lands visits, as then you do not have to drive from one tasting to another!

One might choose to be in town for a few days without a car and then roaming around. How long are you planning to be in CPT and the Cape in general?