PDA

View Full Version : Tanzanian Licence conversion!

Speedjeans
6th Feb 2001, 18:02
Well dudes as I was not having too much luck in the UK getting a job with my CPL/IR 330hrs and all the bits that go with it I decided to got to Tanzania and see what the deal was!
So last year I arrived and was met by a friend who walked me through the steps of converting my UK CPL to a TZ CPL...
However to cut a long story short I had to return to the UK and I came back out last week having already sat and passed the conversion exams and the TRE on a C206 and yesterday they issued me the licence. Which now opens up a whole load of opertuinitys??? sorry can't spell!
ie. Kenya, Botswana, Uganda as now all I have to do is an air law exam for each country and bingo.
The only problem then is the work permits, but I think you can always get round that.
When I took the exams in Dar es salaam I had 3 papers in one, air law, East African met and a very small bit of radio aids.
So if any of you dudes fancy a bit of bush flying and if I can give some limited advice to anyone then just reply to the topic, and please do not reply to my email address as thats in the UK and is a pain in the ass.

Good luck all and keep your powder dry!

Cheers
SJ's

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

[This message has been edited by Speedjeans (edited 06 February 2001).]

siggi-Iceland
7th Feb 2001, 21:45
Congrats, I am doing the same thing accross the border, in Kenya. It is nice to know I am not the only aviator doing this. It aint easy but one day it may pay off. Keep us up to date on your progress and continue the good work.

gna
11th Feb 2001, 20:54
hi,
me to, i'm a lowtimer (300 tt), and thinking of taking a plane to africa soon, to see what's going on there. do you know how long it takes (+ costs) to covert f.a.a. licences into tanzanian or kenyian; or maybe if it's possible to fly the african skys with the us licenses without having to covert? i'm willing to fly for food and lodging, any chances overthere?

Superfly
11th Feb 2001, 21:03
Well done to both of you, you certainly have what it takes to do the job ! I was wondering what was the way to get a job out there in Africa, how do you make contact ? Have you just been there and looked for an opportunity ? Africa flying is an option I would consider too but I don't know where to start ? Do you have any tips and hints ? Happy landings, Superfly

siggi-Iceland
12th Feb 2001, 00:49
Speedjeans, I have one question. How long did it take you to go through the convertion process, In kenya it can take up to 8 months. I was lucky and had one shot and one kill on the exam, first time pass. I think that going through the Kenya School Of Flying convertion course did the trick. Lots of good people there. The convertion exam was surprisingly difficult. I had done the ATP theory in scandinavia during the summer, so I was fresh on the subjects.

BIG MISTER
12th Feb 2001, 06:23
Interestings stuff lads - what are you going to be flying after all this hard work ?

Anything thats burns A1 ?

I'm all ears...

Speedjeans
12th Feb 2001, 11:14
Well gna, superfly, it's like this I came to Tz last Sept went to the TCAA and they had a look at my log book and licence, they then told me that I had only to sit Air law, East Africian met and a bit of radio aids which cost $65 to sit, and then a TRE $65. However when I have spoken to plilots with FAA or OZ licences then they have taken some more exams which consist of a single paper with 100 questions with gas turbine and nave question etc.
The TCAA sometimes when they feel they want to be funny will also say you need a 1000hrs to convert, however this tends to be a work permit requirement and I got my licence issued with 330hrs....
There are jobs out here and what you need to do is come out and ask around at all the major city airports.
It's hard and you will be told no go away but if you show an interest etc of if you are type rated on a Van or twotter then the are plenty of jobs here and in Kenya but talk to Siggi about Kenya.
It's great flying with jobs in safari companies or the mining industry so just get your ass over here book into a back packers hotel for $5 a night and visit the TCAA and see ahat they have to say. You can get your licence converted in 3-4 weeks if you work hard and not go out on the piss every night which you can do in Dar and pull birds! Do all that when you ahve got a licence in your hand and I'll take you out and have a few wets with you.
If you want anymore info the leave a post on prune and not on my email ta.

Good luck dudes and hope to see you over here.
Cheers
SJ's

------------------

WX Man
14th Feb 2001, 17:44
Thanks for that advice! Can you tell us a bit more about the work permit situation?

EDDNR
15th Feb 2001, 16:32
do not reply to my email address as thats in the UK and is a pain in the ass

Why not try www.twigger.co.uk (http://www.twigger.co.uk) or www.mail2web.com (http://www.mail2web.com) or set your Hotmail or whatever to check your UK POP mailbox. Very easy to keep in touch.

Sorry for OT but helpful reply!

Rod

Speedjeans
15th Feb 2001, 23:30
You can contact me on [email protected] to make it easy for me, thanks
SJ's
Oh yer work permits are a pain in the ass they can take either a week ot two or months, but just leave that one up to your boss.

------------------