PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA to CASA

huey
16th Apr 2003, 13:01
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone has any experience of trying to get work in Australia after converting from a FAA CPL(H) to a CASA one.
The reason I ask is allegedly in the fixed wing world the conversion from an American ATPL to Aussie is not always accepted by some of the airlines, apparantly they only will acknowlege the ATPL once you have done the 7 CASA subjects.Does this also apply to the CPL R/W world.

Many Thanks

HUEY

gulliBell
16th Apr 2003, 18:51
I'm assuming you've got the Australian work permit covered? Like being married to an Australian citizen? Or are you an expat returning home? I wouldn't worry too much about converting licences unless you were legally able to work in Australia before arriving, as employers are most unlikely to sponser a foreigner to work here. Much like for Aussie's trying to find work in the US. You should find what you're looking for here http://www.casa.gov.au/avreg/fcl_lic/overbr.htm

M/V
17th Apr 2003, 12:58
Huey,

It used to be that if you returned to Australia with an FAA ticket, providing you worked `commercially' on that licence in the USA for 200 hrs or more before returning to Australia, all you had to do was an air law exam and pass a flight test.
The `200 hr' proviso came in to effect after, during the 1970's, a lot of blokes whent over to do FAA licences as at the time getting an Aussie ticket could take all year to complete( two sittings a year, fail one subject and it could easily take you 12 months to get the theory subjects out of the way) The 200 hrs was meant to deter people going over to the USA to obtain their license (probably initiated by local flight schools missing out on business)

Contact your local CASA rep and get it from them direct.
Good Luck
M/V
p.s if you are a non-resident, for a `small' spotters fee I will locate you a bride

huey
17th Apr 2003, 14:54
Hi M/V,

Yeah the bride sounds good,just my wife isn't too keen on the idea.

This information is actually for a mate.He is an Aussie in the early stages of doing his CPL(H).He will be moving to the States early next year on a green card(through his missus) he was wondering whether to leave it all till he gets to the states or do it here then converting to the FAA one.
His biggest concern is if he does the FAA one first, will prospective employers over here(when he returns in a few years)view it badly.

Nick

M/V
17th Apr 2003, 16:39
If I were your mate, it would be worth completing his CPL before departing for the States. If he has a ways to go, at least get his PPL out of the way. He should easily be able to work towards his FAA CPL Helo based on his private aussie ticket. I whent over there some years ago armed with a PPL Helo and then got my FAA licence.
The events of Sept 11 may have changed how foreign students (green card or not) are handled as regs. may have changed. If he wants to get hold of the regs., contact a reputable flight school or get a copy of the latest FAR's from sportys.com.