PDA

View Full Version : interview attire

landedoutagain
6th Feb 2001, 04:03
any thoughts on what best to wear to interviews? my judgement says suit for all, but have heard that some interviewers are happy or even prefer slightly less formal. one allegedly would be happy for candidates to be scruffy as it showed they are hard up and have worked at becoming pilots.
any suggestions appreciated

BN2A
6th Feb 2001, 04:11
Ripped T-shirt
Ripped Jeans
Odd socks
Muddy trainers

or:-

Suit
Shirt
Tie

Mmmmmmmm......
Let me think about that one......
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

socrates
6th Feb 2001, 15:31
Skinhead + nose stud + leathers(ripped)copy of the big issue hanging out the jean jacket(really hard up); even better if you get the voice weighed off: 'Big Issssuuuueeeeeeee.'
Take the dog, always good for the sympathy vote and if you've got kids, leave them in the foyer, proves further hardship, ie , no baby sitter.

Want me to go on or do you get the picture...

Speedbird 2946
6th Feb 2001, 15:38
Okay seriously,

UNLESS you are interviewing at Easyland, where things are a little less formal, WEAR A SUIT! I think white shirts are good, clean and crisp but you dont have to. Pale blue is calming. Get someone's opinion for a brand new tie that complements your shirt AND suit combination.

Shoes, black, clean and well polished.

Hair, neat tidy Perhpas get back sides and neck shave done three days before.

Watch should be discrete and same for other jewellery but if you are a lad DON'T wear ear rings to an interview.

GOOD LUCK!

cortilla
6th Feb 2001, 15:43
a bit of a personal note, however admitedly none in airlines, only at regular interviews. WHITE SHIRTS ARE A BIG NONO. you only wear them at a funeral. Otherwise the interviewer sees you as a completely boring sod (unless you do an amazing interview) and lets face the interviewer is constantly asking himself "do I really want to sit next to this bloke for 8 hours at a stretch" :)

[This message has been edited by cortilla (edited 06 February 2001).]

M13
6th Feb 2001, 15:51
M13 says that,

In my experience formal formal formal.

This includes having V shiny shoes dark suit, light (not bright) shirt, and a tie thats not too loud. Tidy hair and a special effort on the mornings shave.

After all, all the airlines are looking for demonstration of high personal standards and the way you dress will go some way to portraying this.

I would even go to the extent of ensuring that you make sure your tie doesn't have the colours of the opposition on it.

Or is that going too far????

M13

GJB
6th Feb 2001, 17:01
Stand out from the rest of those suits/collar/tie types. Dress like Captain Sensible and you are sure to be remembered.

scroggs
6th Feb 2001, 17:39
It's neither a wedding nor a funeral; don't overdo the formality unless you're applying for the Saudi Royal Flight, or your local funeral parlour! A plain suit, or a fairly sober jacket and smart trousers, a plainish shirt (no, it doesn't matter if it's white - how petty!), and whatever tie you like, within reason. If you feel a Wallace and Grommit tie suits your mood, then wear it. No-one's going to take offence - humourous ties are fashionable these days, and you may well find your interviewer wearing something similar.
Above all, it's got to be comfortable, clean and well-presented. Don't go overboard, remember you're there to sell yourself, not your dress sense. There are more important things at stake than the colour of your shirt!

Edited for post-flight incompetent spelling!

[This message has been edited by scroggs (edited 06 February 2001).]

RVR800
6th Feb 2001, 19:40
Dont DONT DONT

Wear Fluffy White Socks and black shoes
(with tassles) and black trousers that
show the socks.

They dont like it...

6th Feb 2001, 21:33
Wear a comedy tie and they will show you the door. Interviewers are looking for maturity not eccentricity.
Seriously, it happened to one of my mates at Cranwell for wearing a Mickey Mouse tie, beware.

Speedbird 2946
6th Feb 2001, 22:49
Cortilla,

Please don't be so hasty to give such incorrect advice. Wannabes often REALLY need help on this forum and telling them tosh isn't fair.

I have a friend also who was rejected for wearing a Bugs Bunny tie... and hey, white shirts worked for me!

SB

India Nine-Nine
6th Feb 2001, 23:29
For a comprehensive section on interview attire, and a must for any interview preparation:

Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions
by Martin John Yate
ISBN 0-7494-2656-x

Check it!

By the way, white shirts are a definite 'yes, yes'!

~ convey 'honesty, intelligence, and stability'.

Visual
7th Feb 2001, 14:48
...remember to take one of those sticky roller things with you so that your nice Boss suit isn't covererd in fluff when you meet the Captain...

ROTATION
7th Feb 2001, 15:17
Jeeeezus, this is turning into an episode of The Clothes Show!

Come on girls, show some common sense:

Dark suit, dry cleaned
Tie, sober
Shirt, ironed, and not your 'new years eve' hawiian number.
Socks, dark.
Shoes, black and polished.

They won't be scoring you on your fashion sense. Just make sure you look neat and presentable.

Lucifer
7th Feb 2001, 15:41
Bl00dy hell: a suit: NEVER go in anything else to an interview. Just plain, smart, and CLEAN AND PRESSED.

Roadtrip
7th Feb 2001, 22:12
On my interview, first day at the sim eval, 5 of us were wearing smart conservative dark wool suits, crisp white shirts, with red or blue silk ties. One guys shows up in a wrinkled light-blue dress shirt, cotton slacks and a light-brown sport coat - and his luggage was NOT lost. Guess who didn't get hired??

Think about how most airlines uniform their pilots. Conservative, dark colors, white shirts, etc. Consider the money you spend for a nice interview suit to be an investment. It's all chump change when you consider the money you're going to make over a lifetime career as a airline pilot.

Being smartly and conservatively dressed won't necessarily get you the job, but being inappropriately or shoddily dressed has a good chance of knocking you out of the competition -- especially when everyone is of generally equal ability and experience. How you dress, look, and act says a lot about you before you even open your mouth. Nuff said.

QNH 1013
7th Feb 2001, 23:53
LOA, It is important to remember that the main purpose of the interview is to see if you "fit in" with the company and to check that the wonderful things you wrote on your CV were in fact done by you. Your qualifications and application are what got you to the interview stage.
I have interviewed literally hundreds of engineers and scientists for posts in a large research establishment and although scientists don't wear suits to work, they are standard dress for an interview. Think of an interview as a business meeting - that will give you an idea of the standards expected. Plus, you are out to create a good impression (I hope). Over the years I have seen several candidates who thought they were so brilliant that they should be hired in spite of a deliberate choice to come scruffy to an interview. I have never seen one of these candidates chosen.

Tips:
* Try to avoid anything that might "jar" with any member of the panel. Since you don't know their views and biases in advance you have to be conservative. Funny haircuts, visible tatoos, punctured ears, etc are out. Remember that the people interviewing you will be more senior and therefore probably older than you. The latest trend in not where you want to be.
* Check your appearance carefully before going in for the interview. Use the mirror in the gents. (Ladies don't need this advice, they always seem to get it right for interviews.)
* Carry a small reel of sellotape in your pocket. This is the quickest and easiest way to get fluff, hairs, etc off a dark suit in a hurry.
* Arrive in plenty of time and don't rush. Sweat pouring off your brow doesn't give the impression of someone in control of their life.
* Interviewers often ask questions at interview that either have no correct answer, or are so difficult that it is unlikely that anyone will be able to come up with a correct answer. These aren't asked to be sadistic. They are asked to separate the candidates who don't give up, when faced with difficulties. Never give up.
* Interviews often end with an opportunity for you to ask questions. If there is nothing you really want to know at that stage, it helps to have a sensible question prepared. Otherwise, the interview can end on a rather flat note.
* Re-read your CV the night before. Anything on your CV is fair game for interviewers questions. Candidates who don't seem to know what they put on their CV don't come over well.

Your original question was about clothing. Try and see it from the interviewers point of view.... If you can't make an effort for an interview, what are you likely to be like six months after you have been hired?

Finally, remember that the day of a successful interview is the best paid day of your life. The hours you spend preparing for the interview are vital.

Good Luck !

Buffy Summers
8th Feb 2001, 01:48
Lets see, what are airlines looking for in their pilots? These qualities are things which should be reflected by what you wear.
so
think Conservative.
This means a quiet suit, shirt and tie.
Also,
you are going for a job as a pilot
so look like one

A dark suit, white shirt, quiet tie, black leather polished shoes. Hair, nails, immaculate. Lots of deodorant, don't overdo the aftershave.

Try everything on well in advance of your interview to make sure it all fits well, and is comfortable. Ask your girlfriend/mum/sister if you look like a pilot.

I have been at interviews where people turn up in the most ridiculous things. Mind you, I can always spot the ex-military guys, always seem to wear blazers and the squadron tie and have a hankie in their top pocket.

Also, bear in mind that if you are there for a while, perhaps doing group exercises or whatever, that you may be told you can take your jackets off. So make sure you look smart without your jacket on as well.

If you want to be a bit individual then you can choose a fairly modern looking suit, as long as its still fairly sober.

As for going slighly less formal, I would recommend not, because if you do and no one else does, or this company expects you to look smarter then you have already lost that first impression.

Its better to be slightly overdressed. You could always take your jacket off if it turned out to be an informal thing.

Badger1
8th Feb 2001, 14:17
Well said Rotation. Anyone know what this years' "new black" is ???

BTB
8th Feb 2001, 14:17
If you are having a try for easyland, a tie is a bit of a no-no, also remember early on you will be playing silly beggars with monster sticklebricks and could get a wee bit juicy in the confined areas, so I would suggest loose, smart comfortable casual. The kind of non-crease stuff you see in US Dept stores is ideal, with short sleeves a good option. You will be given your actual sit-down interview after about 6 hours of other stuff, so bear that in mind! Having said all that, I wore smart trousers, short sleeve shirt, tie, black leather jacket and a brown indiana jones hat and got in! If it comes down to what you are wearing, do you really want to work for them in the first place?

foghorn
8th Feb 2001, 16:33
According to my personal fashion advisor/girlfriend this is the 'in' smart dress:

- Mid-to-light grey single breasted three piece suit.
- Blue / white and blue / white and pink shirt (not bright pink!) Must be either plain or have small stripes or checks. Double cuff with cuff-links.
- Matching tie, plain with small motifs, silk or silk/linen rough-textured.
- Black lace-up shoes.

I guess she read it in cosmo or something :) :) :)
Matches most if not all of the 'smartness' criteria.

I don't have any experience of aviation interviews, but I have regularly been on both sides of interviews in my current industry: IT Consultancy (i.e. very customer-facing). Any candidate who has arrived at an interview looking less-than-smart immediately gets marked down by me. All other things being equal, they would not get the job. Thoughts of 'what impression would this person give to customers' and 'will this person make the effort in future when he/she can't even be bothered to make the effort for an interview' would instantly spring to mind. There really is no excuse for not making the effort.

As I said I do not know anything about aviation interviews, but I would suggest that EZY are a bit of a special case as Stelios has made informality a part of company culture.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 08 February 2001).]

steven
8th Feb 2001, 18:10
I think persinally that you would get a very good reaction if you turned up in a bright red thong. Preferably with a getto blaster blurting out Kylie Monogue tracks.
TIP. When you shake the captains hand standing there with little to hide your self respect make sure you spit in your hand before.
Also try to avoid telling the captain about your strange tropical sexually transmitted diseases and how you would like to give Penelopy the stewardess a good seeing to.

Roadtrip
8th Feb 2001, 20:19
BTB -
"If it comes down to what you are wearing, do you really want to work for them in the first place?"

Well, if it's a major US airline like mine that employs great pilots, has industry leading pay, a fully funded retirement + 2 other retirement plans, flys first rate equipment to good places, . . . . well the answer is "YES," I'll wear what is "expected." It just so happens that it's what I would have worn to any interview, both out of personal pride and to respect to those who are taking up their time to give me a shot at the job.

I'm glad there are people out there that have the attitude that they're too good to worry about such details. I think how happy they must be not to have my job.

8th Feb 2001, 22:14
Piercings in ears, noses and eyebrows, show maturity, bravery, style and fearlessness. I highly recommend it.

Princess PP
8th Feb 2001, 23:08
Roadtrip... (sorry to break the thread)

May I ask which airline it is that you fly for? I know a chap who flys for Continental, and a lady who flys for United, both of whom have urged me to apply to their respective employers. However, I have been uncertain as to whether they would actually consider a LOW hours foreign (but young!) pilot for training/sponsorship etc.

Your comments on airlines in the US would be gratefully received.

PPP

Jetdriver
8th Feb 2001, 23:17
In a profession where important attributes include :

Reasoned decision making abilty,
Maturity,
Good appearance,
Good judgement,
and common sense.

If you really have to question the standard of dress required at an interview, I wonder if you are really quite ready yet !

Perhaps you could ask your spouse, partner or your Mum for some advice !

Roadtrip
9th Feb 2001, 02:43
Princess PP - Drop me an email and I will respond without cluttering this thread.

RT

BTB
9th Feb 2001, 15:04
WOW - I`m glad I work in a country where flying aptitude, experience and personality matter more than fitting to the template - and I work for one of the best payers in the country, have an excellent pension plan, fly brand new a/c and don`t have to be terrified of saying anything non-PC all the time. Best of luck, roadtrip, but I think our priorities are different over here.

Badger1
9th Feb 2001, 17:35
Roadtrip and BTB...come on guys, most of us hopefuls would give our right arms to be where either of you are today. Sure every company is going to have culture variations and I personally would dress in a Wimpy burger man outfit if it'd get me to the right seat. As far as advice to the originator of this thread goes, surely a smart suit and tie combo, not too loud, and neat and presentable is good enough for any interview, then it's upto him to do the rest.

B.

Latte tester
9th Feb 2001, 19:31
If you have to ask what to wear to the interview, maybe you should ask yourself if you are capable of handling a jet!!!!!!!

Roadtrip
9th Feb 2001, 19:48
Spot-on Badger. You've broken the code. If the company you want to work for is conservative, be conservative. If it's Southwest (or Virgin?) maybe something more interesting is in order. BTB and I really basically agree, but I didn't realize that in the UK, that fitting into the company culture in an interview isn't that important. If you ever find yourself shanghai'd to the colonies, I wouldn't recommend that approach. Good luck, and keep you interview suit at the ready.

Baggy
14th Feb 2001, 19:17
This year I will be mostly wearing pigtails.

p.s Badger1 - the new black is surely red on this valentines day!

B.

landedoutagain
14th Feb 2001, 23:45
thanks for all the suggestions, as it happens i was always going to wear my (only) suit, i wasa just curious as to what others thought! and the interview seemed to go pretty well, should find out in the next couple of days if i get a sim ride... fingers crossed!

expedite_climb
15th Feb 2001, 01:49
Offer to buy them a beer, that always does the trick....

Bi-planejane
17th Feb 2001, 05:35
The main point of the interview is what you say so your choice of clothing should not be a distraction to you as you should be concentrating on your answers and not wriggling with that brand new shirt or sweating because all the other candidates wore something different. Things get blown out of all proportion in the stress of an interview.
I advocate certainly suit smart leather shoes and a favourite shirt and tie. There's something quite comforting about wearing something that makes you feel good at a time of high stress and it really DOESN'T matter what colour the shirt or tie is as it's quite a pleasant reflection of your personality at interview. Pilots have been recruited with dark blue / green shirts and ties. The caveat of course is that it's not offensive in anyway of course. Playing to the gallery by wearing military or club ties can backfire too, so play neutral on this one I suggest. Anyway wear what you feel comfortable in, including the Easy / SW ones. If it's not "you" to wear sweatshirts and jeans, don't do it. It's only going to grate on you through the day. Plenty of pilots get through Easy etc wearing suits.
Flight crew wear uniforms
Excellent posts here among the daft ones, but an additional one on personal hygiene....don't kill them with your garlic / rancid beer breath from your night before eats and drinks, and please spare us the soaked armpits on a hot day.