PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Flap30
5th Feb 2001, 22:15
The Situation......

You are 20, work in a boring bank job, and almost finsihed your PPL.
You have always wanted to fly, and there is no doubt in your mind that this is what you want as a career.....
You have a university place if you want it, but you would prefer to just get on with flying right now. Would you:

A - Do want feels right and just go for it. Join a flying school and work really hard for your dream.

B - Play safe and go to Uni. Have a good laugh, and not worry about life for a bit.

C - Keep trying for sponsorship.

.......and I'd like to ask the audience please!!

Cheers

Autofly
5th Feb 2001, 22:36
A, B & C!!!!

Flap 30, there's no reason why you can't do all three. If you go to uni why not join the uni air squadran! While your there keep your eyes peeled here using the free internet access and apply for the sponsorship schemes. The hardest thing you'll find is keeping the flying up as, well if your like me, as a student you won't have much cash. Some people may not aggree, but if you've got a degree the airlines may look a little more favourable upon you dispite the fact I can't recall one who asks for a degree to get on. In addition you'll find if you can get a job afterwards it'll pay for the flying. Its working for me. Yeah, i've still got all my student loans and it could be argued that it was throw-away money but i've got a good job if it all ends in tears and it pays for it in the mean time.

Everyone on this forum has a different story to tell but I wouldn't recommend throwing all you've got at the industry until you've weathered a few years applying for the sponsorship schemes. You never know!

Good luck

AF

huntsman
6th Feb 2001, 00:48
take the full medical and see how that goes.
do the uni course at some stage as it gives you an out if something like the medical stops your flying career early.
good luck

great expectations
6th Feb 2001, 17:57
My advice is definitely take up the university place and keep trying for sponsorship. This way you give yourself the best opportunity to succeed: you have an university education and you can persevere with BA. If you are successful with BA you can always leave uni. I wanted to rush ahead to flight school too - but boy am I glad that ive had a taster of uni. It prepares you better for airline interviews and gives you confidence. All the best with your decision!

6th Feb 2001, 23:26
Keep trying for sponsorship as this not only saves you a lot of money but often guarantees a career on complation. However there is no reason that you can't try for sponsorship whilst studying for your ATPL, fortunately as a 20 year old you have time on your side,
decision over to you.

OnTheBug
6th Feb 2001, 23:57
Go for all 3! My advice is to do what has already been mentioned. Get yourself down to Gatwick first for the Class 1, expensive but grin and bear it as its better to know now if something is wrong. Then go to Uni preferably one with an air squadron. Have the best 3 years whilst applying to all the sponsorships. If still no sponsorship then at least you can get a well paid job which will pay back any overdrafts etc and allow you to continue to fly. Go for it!

All the best,
OTB

landedoutagain
7th Feb 2001, 00:09
i was in this position at 17! had a place for aero eng. and got the chance to fly. i flew and am fortunate to now have FATPL/IR, mcc and 1200 hours - took four years but only cost 18 grand.
however, i would recommend going to uni and flying while there - i have some friends who did this and got their BA places while there! lucky sods...!

expedite_climb
7th Feb 2001, 04:23
Did A and B, Had a great time and glad I didnt miss out on uni. Now i'm in my dream job......

good luck...

Bovey
7th Feb 2001, 04:37
Flap 30,

I agree with Autofly, do them all. If you really want to fly, you will. You have every avenue open to you. Go with your instinct.

Good luck I know you will get there.

Bovey

GJB
7th Feb 2001, 16:56
Yes - A,B&C. That's what I did.