PDA

View Full Version : My BIG sponsorship post.

ROTATION
5th Feb 2001, 20:31
In time honoured Pprune tradition, some of those who are successful in the transition from wannabe to gonnabe post their experiences/advice up here. I know I’ve benefited and been motivated by this sort of post in the past so I’ve spent the morning at work (the boss is off today!) compiling this in the hope of doing the same for others. This is aimed at people going for ab-initio/PPL level sponsorships more than the self-funders but some may nonetheless be relevant. I’ve been doing the rounds of the aptitude tests for 2 and a half years now, since the year before graduating from uni. So what follows is some info and advice based on my own experiences of these tests and interviews.

For any aptitude test, find out as much as possible about what’s in them and practise till you’re sick of it. This site is a fantastic resource for aptitude test info so use the search function to get the info you need, then get practising. Books published by Kogan Pages are useful for practising the maths (and other areas) and there’s a book called ‘How To Win At Aptitude Tests’ that I got from Smith’s which I found useful for the logical reasoning/pattern recognition tests a la Morrisby and British Midland aptitude tests. There’s also a handy little Excel macro going around for mental arithmetic practise which I’m happy to mail to people if they don’t have it already. I’ve taken the BA aptitude tests twice and failed their infamous verbal reasoning twice so I’ve no info on the BA interview. I’ve also tried the Cabair aptitudes (Air2000 etc), very tough GCSE level maths. Although I prepared well, I concentrated on the mental arithmetic rather than re-learning how to solve simultaneous/quadratic equations etc, so I failed. I also failed my first stab at the Midland aptitudes. So not a good start so far.
Demoralised with the sponsorship process and expense I decided to take the first step towards going it alone and completed my PPL/night in Florida. With renewed enthusiasm I then did the rounds again – BA, BM, AFT, Air2k, BEA and Airtours. Finally I started passing some aptitude tests (except BA verbal reasoning – never did work that one out). They ARE more passable the second time around! Having failed the first time, found relevant practise material and PRACTICED, I found myself passing tests I’d failed previously. Knowing what to expect helps you psychologically to get into the right mindset for the tests, giving you valuable extra seconds. So don’t be too disheartened if you fail them first time. Get used to knockbacks on the road to sponsorship, as there will be many! If at first you don’t succeed……..…you’ll know what to expect next time and probably do better.
Yes, these tests are expensive. What with petrol, B+B and other sundries, I reckon I've spent around Ł1000 on them over the years, but if you're not in it you can't win it and unfortunately the airline ain't gonna pay for it if they can get away with charging you for it. A good result in a professionally executed aptitude test however can be worthwhile in other ways such as persuading a bank manager to lend you cash. What I don't agree with however is charging wannabes extortionate amounts of money for five quid (tops) worth of photocopied paper, getting current cadets to mark them, and clearly making a fair profit on the whole exercise. No names mentioned.

So if you pass an aptitude test, you’ll get an interview. The interview stages are tough and obviously you need to know the ins and outs of the company you’re going for: chief pilot, fleet, business strategy etc, etc as well as answers to the traditional interview questions: what are your strengths and weaknesses? etc. See: www.tsa.co.uk (http://www.tsa.co.uk) (click the INTERNET link, then on 99 questions), it’s not all relevant but it is good food for thought.
If you’ve done any flying, you may well be expected to answer some technical questions so get out Mr. Thoms’ aeroplane technical book and get revising. Whether you’ve ever flown or not, brush up on your aviation current affairs and history. You may well be tested. Anyone can learn about the company and answer these questions and you will be expected to do so but more importantly I feel it’s most important to ‘get on’ with your interviewers. The interviews I’ve had involved someone from the HR dept. firing the traditional interview questions plus one or two training captains firing the why do you want to fly questions. Mainly though, they’ll be finding out if you’re the kind of person they want to sit next to for hours at a time during the training stage and once you’re on line. So have your answers to ALL the awkward questions prepared. Do the thinking before the interview, not in it, so that during your short spell in the interview, rather than umming, arring and getting hot under the collar over the answer to a question you should have prepared for, you can concentrate on being relaxing, chatty and unflappable with the panel. Hard under the circumstances but try to keep the blood pressure as low as possible. Don’t bull**** the answers to any questions you don’t know the answer to - that will not go down well. In short, be very prepared, be relaxed and be yourself. That’s all you can do. If you answer all their questions and they like you on the day then you’re in. If not then be patient, the next sponsorship opportunity will hopefully only be a few months away and the more aptitude tests and interviews you do, the better you get at them.

SO GO TO IT!

As for me, I’m working hard in an office till June, then I’m off to Jerez for just over a year to train. Then one fine day, in about two years time, I shall be in the right hand seat of a turboprop with a big grin on my face. Oh that day shall be a good one, the light at the end of the tunnel.

So hopefully I’ve convinced people that sponsorship can be got if you stick at it. If you have any specific questions I’d be glad to try and answer them so feel free to mail me!

I wish you all the best of luck with a very frustrating but ultimately worthwhile process!

[This message has been edited by ROTATION (edited 05 February 2001).]

Autofly
5th Feb 2001, 22:41
Congrats Rotation and a dam fine post.

Autofly

BN2A
6th Feb 2001, 04:25
Rotation,
Sponsored by Airtours?
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2001, 13:32
Well done Rotation and thanks for sharing the experience. Its a hard slog but youŽve more or less made it now.

IŽm sure youŽll enjoy Jerez - IŽll buy you a beer when I visit.

Cheers,

M13
6th Feb 2001, 16:08
ROTATION

Reading your post I was amazed at how similar it was for me with the initial knock-backs and the difficulty with the BA thing. I've also been trying for 2/3 years and have finally got a sponsorship, with you in june! I've spent god knows how much doing the aptitudes and flying to Dublin etc etc.

But to every wannabee that reads this, both myself and rotation are testiment to the fact that it is possible and if you want it enough you will achieve your dream.

Also enjoy all the phases of testing with all the airlines even if the result is negative because you still gain so much from the experience.

M13 :) :) :)

scroggs
6th Feb 2001, 17:49
Rotation,
thanks for the post and well done on your hard-won success! Information like this is very welcome to the many here who're still on the application treadmill - I hope you're all suitably encouraged by this tale. I hope we get many more like this.....

togaroo
7th Feb 2001, 19:40
to all wannabes...

Can only re-iterate what MI3 and cuban has said - keep trying and taking the knocks as each time you will learn a little something that will make you that little bit more determined and better at aptitudes.

Then just maybe next time it will be your turn to have a crack at the final interview and wait for that letter / phone call that says 'we want you'. I'm still waiting for it to sink in!!

My advice is to know as much as you can about the company you applying to, if you are going for an interview, one little detail that someone else doesnt know might just push you in the right direction, but above all be yourself and be honest.

I can only say that I feel very fortunate to be joining the lads in Jerez in June.

Hasta Luego!!

------------------
Its life Jim, but not as we know it!!

7th Feb 2001, 21:14
Very well done, lets try and keep this post close to the top so your valuable experiences can be shared by many more.

WGW
7th Feb 2001, 21:56
As another 'BIG' poster, figured Rotation deserved a trip back to the top of the list for his trouble. All credit to him for doing it the hard way - I'm still trying to do it the easy way. Watch this space for a BA CEP Final Board posting in the near future. Warm and fuzzy or dripping with vitriol? Time will tell (and not much time now either). Congrats once again Rotation. Hope to be soon joining the club myself.

WGW

WGW
7th Feb 2001, 22:22
As for BA aptitudes verbal reasoning tests, my only advice would be this (and it's not great I know):

If you're not sure if it's true or false, tick the 'Can't say' box.

Looking at it logically, around 1/3 of the answers will be 'Can't say', and you're allowed to get a few wrong, so even if you tick that box for half of them and get the rest pretty much right, you'll probably pass. Worked for me (evidently).

:)

WGW