PDA

View Full Version : CAA/JAA and the airlines

matt747
5th Feb 2001, 15:54
I have just read the thread on the CAA's new policy on converting IR licenses from abroad and it seems to me that people will still train abroad as it is cheaper. Which brings me to the question as to whether or not it is likely that in the future British airlines will accept foreign ATPL as well as JAA/CAA licenses or is it the case that a European airlines must employ pilots with European lisences?

Just a thought,

Matt

taildragger2
5th Feb 2001, 16:24
Hi Matt
It used to be the case that you could move abroard, gain an ATPL or CPL, go to your country of choice and convert the licence by sitting any extra exams etc to conform to that countrys requirements, this was often a cheaper route to the FD and this can still be done for many licences. However with JAR FCL requirements to fly for an airline of the member states you must have a full european licence and there really is no cheaper way around this as even if you hold other licences from around the globe you still must comply with JAR FCL licence requirements and this means sitting all JAR groundschool etc etc. As far as I'm aware there is no way around this now and it is of similar cost converting to JAR as it is to sit JAR first time around. If anyone else knows different then of course I will stand corrected!.............Tailwinds........TD2