PDA

View Full Version : Ostomy Bag

Irishboy
14th Apr 2003, 17:46
Hi All,

I am 26 and 6 months ago I had an operation to remove my large bowel. As a result I now have to wear an ostomy bag. I assume this rules out any hope of me passing a Class 1 or 2 medical. Can anybody shed any light on this for me.

Thanks

Mark 1
14th Apr 2003, 19:23
I can't see any specific reference in JAR medical, but the following may be relevant.

3 Chronic inflammatory bowel disease (regional ileitis, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis) is
disqualifying. Recertification (Class 1 and 2) and initial certification (Class 2) may be considered by the
AMS if there is full remission and minimal, if any, medication is being taken. Regular follow up is
required and multi-pilot (Class 1 ‘OML’) or safety pilot (Class 2 ‘OSL’) restriction may be appropriate.
4 Abdominal surgery is disqualifying for a minimum of three months. The AMS may consider earlier
recertification if recovery is complete, the applicant is asymptomatic and there is a minimal risk of
secondary complication or recurrence.

Max Angle
19th Apr 2003, 00:34
Suggest you talk to the CAA Medical guys about this, they are very helpfull and judging by the experience of a friend who lost his medical for a while they are very keen to get people airbourne again if they can.

Good luck.

Irishboy
19th Apr 2003, 18:35
Thanks for your replies lads.

Semicolon
29th Apr 2003, 02:55
I am RAF, not civvy, so you may wish to check with the CAA about your particular case. 7 years ago I had an ileostomy following bowel disease. I was initially grounded and told I would never fly again. However, following surgery I regained a medical cat which has allowed me to fly for the last 6 years. I am in the process of regaining an almost full flying category. The only caveat which I will never regain is being able to fly ejection-seat aircraft. If you are civvy, this is hardly a problem, altho for me it means that my days of posing in a g-suit are over! I know that following my case a BA training capt who had been grounded regained a med cat which allowed him to fly RHS. Do not give up on flying simply because of the pouch, use it as a plus point. Just think of all those long sectors you can do without leaving the flight deck!!!

flapsforty
29th Apr 2003, 05:39
Semicolon, please allow me to express my admiration for your attitude in not giving up on the flying. Ileostomy no joke.
You must be made of very hardy stuff in the mind department.

I noticed your username after I had read your post.
:= Fantastic. :=
Your sense of humour put a HUGE smile on my face!! :ok:

Respect.

Jumbo Liar
29th Apr 2003, 16:08
Obviously cannot actually identify the individual concerned, but on this subject you may be interested to know that a senior member of an airline medical department has a permanent ostomy bag. He has an unrestricted class 1, an ATPL, and instructor and examiner status.

Just ask yourselves, why SHOULD an ostomy bag be disqualifying ? After all, it is simply a reservoir for semi-solid waste, which is often accompanied by gas. That's actually a pretty good description of the normal colon ! One is internal, one is external, so what ? The gases in BOTH obey Boyles law in flight !!

It's actually the REASON for the ostomy which might be disqualifying. eg poorly controlled inflammatory bowel disease, or perhaps metastatic bowel cancer.

Hope this gives a little reason for optimism.

Semicolon
30th Apr 2003, 03:57
Jumbo Liar is entirely correct. If you are still on medication (steroids, for example) you may have difficulties in gaining/regaining a med cat. If, however, the surgery has eradicated the problem then you may be ok. Note that medically you can still be deemed to have a disease which is in remission (the most obvious are colitis and Croehns for which the med branch say there is no cure) but the longer you go without symptoms the better chance you have as long as you do not require to be on any medication. If you have an ileostomy, try the Dansac pouch, ref 341. They have been tested by RAF Aviation medics. They can survive an explosive decompression from 8000' to 45000' in 8 seconds without a problem. Good luck.

CaptainFillosan
1st May 2003, 05:09
I have no doubt that this subject is of interest to a number of people. That it is on PPRuNe is of special interest. There is no need to hide the problem and there is no need for the CAA to treat is as another medical issue, which fortuantely they don't.

It is good to hear that those with a bag can continue their career.

I hope too, that the CAA will get to grips with some other 'problems' and give life and hope back to some highly qualified aviators.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jumbo

I think it must have been me who had the long day. Thanks for drawing my attention to my very bad grammar. Now edited - sorry![/b] Hope it makes better sense now. :O

Jumbo Liar
1st May 2003, 05:46
Is it just me ? Have I not realised just how long and
hard a day I have had ?

What was that last message trying to say ?

Anyone understand it better than I can ?

Hwel
2nd May 2003, 15:30
I had a chunk of bowel out due to crohns in 2000. had a couple of months off work then back to full flying, no restrictions. I have an annual chat with my AME as part of my normal medical. The caa were fab , as were my employers. However there was the suggestion that if i did not already have a class 1 then i would have really struggled to get one. So renewals yes initials probably not. Best to chat to the feds.:ok:

Irishboy
5th Jun 2003, 01:05
Hi Lads,

thanks for all the replies, you have been very helpful.

Semicolon - it is an ileostomy I have also, due to colitis. Nice username, made me laugh a lot also!