PDA

View Full Version : What are the QF load factors like?

Time Bomb Ted
14th Apr 2003, 13:51
Does anyone know what the QF load factors on the SYD- LAX route are like. I probably know what they are like to Asia, but I was wondering what something like SARS will do to the Americas.

TBT

Eastwest Loco
14th Apr 2003, 21:40
Hi Teddles

Despite it being Easter and school hols on the North Island, there is little or no problem getting whatever class you want on whatever airline you choose at the moment.

Thankfully the Loco Bloke's agency is mostly corporate and they HAVE to travel and we have been flat maggot for the last month.

The VFR market is haeomoraging badly though and KA and CX are pulling flights right left and centre despite some denials of this.

Singapore is being very responsible with regular updates emailed in regarding the situation where HKG seems to be in denial.

I was told by a corporate client from Beijing that the chinese Government are being extremely open with the people and tourists alike.

From what I can glean, and for obvious reasons I have tried to keep up to speed this is the "Life of Brian" bug - it's not the Plague, it's just a very naughty flu. Media has a little blame to wear here for the hysteria.

Sure it is more virulent than previous flu bugs,but I would like to see a breakdown of the ages and physical states of those lost.

I will swear and declare that I, Mrs Loco and the kids copped this bug or its forerunner 3 years ago in LA.

Best regards

EWL

Longhauler
15th Apr 2003, 18:22
Between LAX and AKL, QF load factors are around 80-90%

I also believe they are quite good still between SYD/MEL and LAX.

Eastwest Loco
15th Apr 2003, 18:55
Agreed Longhauler.

The Pacific basin and inbound American market is still particularly strong, with high yield stuff ex the US helping the profitability as we are still considered "safe".

NZ axeing their NZ14/15 non-stop SYD LAX operation shortly can only help QF/UAl oad factors and yield on that run too.

Fiji -the Cooks - Vanuatu - Samoa - even Noumea are recieving unusual levels of interest as well.

Poor old Bali is staggering back thankfully but deeper into asia (KUL and BKK/HKT being exceptions but with some trepidation) is pure poison to holiday travel.

The stronger Aussie buck is helping drive a bit of interest back into the US.

Basically, numbers are as I would have liked.

I just want to figure out where the dead chinaman is under our cars. What a 2 and a half years we have collectively had.

I just hope nothing else is dragged out to throw at us.

Best all

EWL

Longhauler
16th Apr 2003, 09:58
EWL,

I think we all owe a lot to the resilience of air travellers (particularly international) as, regardless of media reports, the common sense of the greater population prevails and people are not bringing the capitalist world to a halt (not quite but you get my drift)by not travelling.

LH

TIMMEEEE
17th Apr 2003, 07:04
Just did a SYD-LAX return flight.

Load factors were around the 80% mark with first class full both ways and business class around the 75% mark.
Cannot speak for the Asia-Europe flights though.

Keg
17th Apr 2003, 07:53
Decent to full on the trips across the Tasman I've done in recent times and similar on my domestic flights. I keep getting my HKG stuff taken of me so obviously that is crap.

Japan a couple of weeks back was only half full on the way up but close to chockers on the way back with full in J class.

EPIRB
17th Apr 2003, 14:44
Keg, was that inbound tourists from Japan?

invertedlandings
17th Apr 2003, 14:59
Gday EPIRB,
Did NRT-CNS last week, load factor around 80%, mainly inbound (all except 2 got off in CNS)- 90% were Japanese, J class was about 3/4 full.
Domestic has been around 80% also

Eastwest Loco
17th Apr 2003, 17:24
Well, the VFR Agents may be bleeding, but this was an $80,000 week for my little 3.5 person operation and we were just plain running. Helps pay back a touch of the massive costs involved in ownership change at least.

I have a few on the doubtful list at the moment, but the updates we are receing particularly from Singapore are accurate (from what I can gather) and totally to the point.

September 11 and Bali have developed a "how dare you" culture, and after the initial shocks, the basic Aussie has said sod it!! We are going.

I am yet to see the massive restructure threatened by QF on its overseas routes, apart from a little basic housework they needed an excuse to do before SARS arrived.

Luck is indeed a fortune!!!

Best all

EWL

Don Esson
21st Apr 2003, 21:54
If reasonably high load factors can't be sustained during school holiday period/Easter, then the doctor needs to be called. Put things into perspective: one, Australia/NZ are seen by North Americans as 'safe havens' as compared with Asia and Europe, and two. cancellations of services should push up seat factors on remaining services. This latter curiosity gives punters the wrong view of life.

What are the yields like? There's no point in running high seat factors if the punters are paying next to peanuts. Profit is the name of the game, not high loads that are giveaways, frequent flier redemptions and upgrades. Don't be misled by what you see and conclude that everything's roses. It just ain't!