PDA

View Full Version : Eva Air

middlepath
13th Apr 2003, 16:31
Sad to read news of airlines being badly effected by virus from china. Cx seems to take extreme measure by grounding all pax flights, how is EVAs plans ? again lay off pilots?

ilovelonghaul
14th Apr 2003, 05:06
There hasn't been any news on layoffs with EVA. They laid off a lot of guys after Sep 11th which was a shame. CAL however does not take the same approach. CAL does not lay off pilots in situations such as this.

There are a few rumoura around Taipei that EVA may lay off pilots but time will tell. Good to see the war over because that would certainly have done something for lay offs I guess.

Taipei hasnt really been hit hard by SARS. It certainly isnt a time to be out of work so hang on to your jobs in S/E Asia chaps.

All the best

middlepath
14th Apr 2003, 05:45
loveloghaul.
Thanks for your posting, you have always
been valuable source of information in that region. You have correctly pointed out eva, by now they may have changed their policy from previous lesson.

ilovelonghaul
14th Apr 2003, 12:39
lets hope so. EVA id a good company and it would be a shame to see guys miss out again.

RFN
17th Apr 2003, 09:33
I hate to say it, but CAL has just cancelled their next pilot intake (Airbus) for May due to the SARS issue. No advice as to when re-hiring will take place.

ilovelonghaul
17th Apr 2003, 13:55
RFN,

Yes you are correct. But CAL has not layed off any pilots is the point. SARS certainly has given all the Asian carriers a big jolt. Good to see the war also has not effected EVA or CAL for that matter with laying off pilots.

As for the next Airbus course, well it will happen but the Airbus guys with us at CAL are already doing way less stick hours than us on the 744. So technically they didn't really have a huge need for 340/330 drivers as yet.

But that will change soon I'm sure.

All the best

middlepath
23rd Apr 2003, 04:45
its quite impressive EVA and CAL both are not effected by present uncertainties where as both cathay and singapore are in panic. Looks like every dog has its day.

etops777
23rd Apr 2003, 05:46
middlepath,
you are incorrect as to EVA and CAL, both carriers have cut many flights in their network, maybe not as many as CX or SQ, but certainly have reduced their schedule.

CAL have been using more of 737 and a300 on their route while b744 are idling in TPE.

I am one of the ex-CAL pilot and i know what's going on there.

middlepath
23rd Apr 2003, 15:37
etops777

I am unaware of the situation, are they making pilots redundant yet?
cheers.

middlepath
26th Apr 2003, 00:28
Ilovelonghaul&etops777

What is typical flight time in average per month on -400 @ presnt. Just to compare after sars.
cheers.

middlepath
14th May 2003, 21:40
it appears eva is not bad at all. The biger ones SQ&CX have asked to take leave without pay and pay cuts, where as eva has not taken such measures yet.

ilovelonghaul
16th May 2003, 13:31
CAL 747 pilots appx 75 hours per month. CAL has now asked pilots to take unpaid leave, and if not that many guys do they will assign people for it or even lay off guys.

Desk Driver
16th May 2003, 15:36
I had a meeting with EVA last week in TPE and they "claim" that SARS had not been to bad but now cases are turning up in Taiwan they've cracked down and are claiming to be 100% SARS Free. Or, in other words cough, sneeze or sweat at check in or the gate then you aint getting on.

On another point the War had virtually no affect on figures!

I certainly got the impression that they were confident about the future.......But then again thats their job

kym
22nd May 2003, 22:16
what are eva air's min requirements?????:ok:

Desk Driver
22nd May 2003, 23:06
HOWEVER! now that the FCO has advised Deffered Travel and SARS is on the increase in Taiwan things may change.

BUT.

The public may not realise that BR are a Taiwanese airline and as the Bulk of traffic is to/from BKK they migh just get away with it.

In these trobuled timess God Bless Cargo!

I bet they're glad they bought Combi's

middlepath
26th May 2003, 14:35
this SARS does not seem to improve, that relly make me worry more than any time. I hope no redundants are made. oh my oh my! what a profession i chose.