PDA

View Full Version : PPL exercises

Evo
13th Apr 2003, 16:20
I've just been lent a copy of the RAF Flying Instructor's handbook for the Jet Provost T3/T4, dated July 1960, and to my surprise the exercises are almost identical to the current (JAR-FCL) PPL(A) syllabus. The introduction says that "the recommended sequence of the air exercises is the result of experience", which suggests the RAF syllabus dates back before 1960. Anyone know when it all started in its current form?

The only major differences between the RAF handbook and my copy of Trevor Thom's book 1 are that Ex 18 is Aerobatics, rather than Nav (which is moved to Ex 21) and there are Ex 20 (Night) Ex 22 (Formation flying) and Ex 23 (High Level familiarization). Ex 11 (Spinning) starts with

"Although it is not unusual for the student to be somewhat nervous during the first spins, there may be some doubt as to his suitability for further training if he continues to be apprehensive" :)

Finally, anyone know where I could pick up a copy/reprint/something similar? It's an excellent booklet. The cover has "A.P. 3225D" on it and it's from the Air Ministry.

Airbedane
13th Apr 2003, 16:42
I have two RAF instruction manuals from the WW2 era covering basic and advanced instruction. The basic course is similar to today. Except that when teaching straight and level, it recommends that speed should be stabilised before height. The reason given is that speed is more important when navigating or when dropping bombs, both of which are true.

I get old books and manuals (these included) from Brian Cocks, Bookseller. He's based at Helpston, nr Wittering and visits Old Warden at all the Sunday shows. You'll find his advert in Aeroplane, or give him a call on: 01733 252791

A

Genghis the Engineer
13th Apr 2003, 20:09
I couldn't give a reference, but I'm pretty certain that I've read somewhere that the basic syllabus for fixed wing training was developed by Central Flying School roundabout the end of the first world war, and with slight refinements has been pretty much universal ever since.

G

Evo
13th Apr 2003, 23:10
Thanks chaps. Ex 4 (effects of controls) starts with "since this will be the student's first lesson in the air" - did the 1960s RAF wannabe really have his 'trial lesson' in a jet provost!?! Makes the current ab initio world seem very tame

Airbedane
14th Apr 2003, 02:06
Yes, they (we..!?) did.

There was no such thing as a trial lesson in the RAF in those days. The OASC (Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre) aptitude tests were supposed carry out an initial appraisal. Beyond that, there was no such thing as a bad student, only bad instructors - and that was the official line! Further, training started on the JP.

Things changed rapidly, and soon, although trial lessons were never held, initial flying training was carried out on light piston - Chipmunk and then Bulldog - as a cheaper means of initial airbourn selection. That's where I came in, Chipmunk, JP3, JP5, Gnat etc.

Have you called Brian yet?

A