PDA

View Full Version : 2 x PC's sharing 1 Monitor

Sikpupi
13th Apr 2003, 07:22
Hi

Is it possible to run 2 Pcs sharing 1 x Monitor?? I have an old Win 95 machine which is running fine. I have a new machine with WIn Xp. I would rather keep both running parallel as some of the Win 95 stuff is not compatable coming up to Win XP. Also....i could let the kids use the Win 95 and I can keep my studd on the new machine.

Is it also possible to use the one keyboard and Mouse????

Thanks

Lost_luggage34
13th Apr 2003, 08:13
It is certainly possible with the use of a switch box.

It will switch keyboard, mouse and video. They are not the cheapest devices around - circa GBP 60 for a two port box, slightly more for a 4 port box.

There are also more expensive types which allow switching via an on-screen menu - typically used at server sites to switch between a rack or two of servers via one screen, keyboard & mouse. Saves space and simplifies the configuration.

Only make I am aware of is OmniCube (I am allowed to quote that?), which is what I use. I'm sure there must be other vendors.

BayAreaLondoner
13th Apr 2003, 15:08
I have a 2-port KVM switch made by Belkin. It is nice in that switching is accomplished through two swift taps of the Ctrl key (configurable).
As I recall, it was around $60.

amanoffewwords
13th Apr 2003, 16:26
In my experience it's not the device itself that is expensive, but the cables you need to attach your PCs/keyboard/mouse.

Hence I went for one called 'myhopper' - it's available from www.maplin.co.uk at a cost of 50gbp (incl VAT) + delivery. If you use the search facility on their site it will take you straight there.

it doesn't need to be within reach as you can switch machines from the keyboard. Needless to say it works perfectly well on my set up otherwise I wouldn't be going on about it so long. Last point: it has also got a certain quality feel about it by way of a good old-fashioned metal casing and general solid feel to it - I like that.

On the other hand Belkin is good because their equipment tends to come with a lifetime warranty (for manufacturing defects) so in that sense it is better but you have to pay for it.

The choice, as always, is yours...

hth

Ronbmy
13th Apr 2003, 20:36
Sikpupi

as amanoffewwords states, the Myhopper unit is a good one and the Maplin price is a £30 off special for next 20 days.

The old Win95 machine - is it PS/2 connectors?

If it isn't then you will need adaptors for the mouse & keyboard.

If you just want to switch the monitor use a manual switch.

If you need adaptors/cables pm me. The Maplin prices are a major rip off.

SLF 999
14th Apr 2003, 17:19
Another option here is to install a product called Virtual Machine, (sorry dont know the URL but sure a search would find it easlily), which will let you run XP and Win 95 concurrently on the same box.
Dont know if its an option that you had thought about but thought Id mention it

Mac the Knife
18th Apr 2003, 01:48
Ronbmy: "..If you just want to switch the monitor use a manual switch..."

Doesn't work - tried it. Problem is something called impedance matching which means that if you use a simple switchbox you get 'orrible ghosting and blurring. You really do have to get a proper KVM switch.

My "NovaView KNV102" by "Rextron" sounds exactly like BayArea's thing and works OK. Only problem is that if the Linux box is using the monitor when Windows boots then Windows can't find any recognisable monitor and defaults to SVGA which then has to be corrected each time.

As for the Virtual Machine story this apparently works OK if you have a fast machine and lots of memory. But M$ have just bought into VMWare and M$ doesn't like people mixing OSes in case one of them isn't by M$. Expect M$ will kill or cripple VMWare fairly soon, so get it while you can.

PPRuNe Towers
18th Apr 2003, 03:23
Useful warning in Mac's final paragraph. The Redmond moster has just bought out the company providing the Windows virtual machine we use at the Towers.

Danny and I find it vital for checking how changes on the site renders on PC browsers rather than our Macs. We're not holding our breath in anticipation of further support or development.

Regards
Rob