PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a CPL/IR for £20k?

Pilot Pete
4th Feb 2001, 16:36
You can't. But it got your attention didn't it? Due to the huge response to my posting 'who wants to know?', well, two bored sleepless ppruners here it is, my story of how I went from zero hours to the rhs of a 757 with JMC.

A ten year career as a computer operator with British Gas and the offer of voluntary redundancy due to privatisation cutbacks got me thinking about my future career. I’d had it good up ‘til then, nearly £40k a year for very little, a nice 1 bed flat on the outskirts of London and the freedom to do whatever I wanted.

The money was a factor. £20k to leave, but I knew that due to yearly increments in a nationalised industry my salary had escalated to twice the market rate for the job. Compulsory redundancy on much less favourable terms would follow, so I took the leap and thought I would survive and have £20k in the bank.

It was May 1996 and I had been using the professional resettlement services afforded to BG employees and came up with the great idea of I.T. recruitment. I could do that. Ok it was mainly commission but I knew about I.T. didn’t I?

What a change of scenery. Instead of the 3 x 12hr shifts per week I was expected to do five days.......urghhh! On top of that I had to commute on the train into London Bridge. My God. After several years with the TA where I had learnt to become an Arrest & Restraint Instructor, PTI and Recce Platoon Commander, my patience was severely tested by this bunch of animals from Middle England. I wanted to ‘lamp’ every one of the buggers within a couple of weeks!

During this change of scenery I had met Suzie, an Independent Financial Advisor who was going to show me how to ‘consolidate’ with my new found millions!

The recruitment agency was just a fine place to work...................if you had no ethics. I was expected to tell the biggest no-hoper and the highest-flyer (no pun intended) that I had the perfect job for him/her, and to tell the biggest employers that I had the perfect candidates! It just wasn’t me. Now the guy sitting opposite me on the desk was inspirational. Well sort of. Let me paint the picture.

Tim-Nice-But-Dim. That was him. Bloody hilarious without knowing it! Can you believe that he didn’t want to do this job for life either? No, he had much grander plans. He wanted to be a commercial pilot!!

He pulled from the drawer a glossy brochure from a training school at Cranfield............”let’s have a look I asked”.

That was it. I hadn’t had the boyhood dream or anything like that, but as I read further into the leaflet it was like a shining light leading the way.....no sh*t, that’s the best way I can describe it. It hit me like a bolt of lightning. This is what I wanted to do, this is what I was cut out to do, and this is what I could do for the remaining 30yrs of my working life and enjoy it.

The enquiries started and within the month I had left, after discussing it in depth with Suzie; I needed her support for the ‘year or so’ of training that my £20k would fund. Well only £5k short according to the brochure!

Trial lesson at Biggin Hill in August 1996 with said company. All they appeared interested in was my cash, and £6k of it at that for a PPL! They even sold me a bloody logbook on the day to ‘log’ my first flight! Took a look at Redhill where I found the most helpful of instructors hanging around who gave me 2 hrs of his time to take me through all the options and routes to a CPL/IR, first stage being a PPL for £2300 including NVQ! I did my PPL at Redhill.

First flight October 1996 after all the background information had been checked etc. Then came the bad weather.

Suzie had moved into my 1 bedroom flat and let her 2 bed out to bolster her wage from the House of Fraser. Then came the news that almost changed everything. We were expecting a baby. I’d have to go back into I.T. and earn a wage, it was over before it had even started.

After many heated discussions we decided that our relationship would be all the better if I stuck at what I really wanted to do. February 1997 and 5 hours in the logbook................it was like starting again, and I’d been at the airfield 5 days a week 9-5 and weekends if I could get an instructor. March saw the weather change and I polished off the rest of the hours by the end of April. What a feeling. I was a pilot.

May and June saw the IMC course through. All was in place for the birth of Harry on 13th July. My hour building was booked for 30th in Florida for 1 month at Naples Air Center................what could I do? Put it off? Suzie went to her parents just before I went to the US and she had maternity leave for several weeks. Now really was the ‘least worse’ time to go.

100hrs of flying to every airfield in Florida saw the hour building completed along with the 300nm x-country qualifier by the end of August and back I came to nappies and bottles and groundschool at London Guildhall.

Suzie had to go back to work when the maternity leave was up so we needed a childminder. “how f*ck*ng much?” “£100 per week and that’s cheap?” Jesus. And then you have to find one who is suitable. We saw dozens and settled on a grandmother who was in it for the love of it and not for the money. She was just perfect.

The routine started. 14 weeks at Guildhall, oh God no, not back on the London Bridge route again! September to Christmas saw us swapping the chore of driving Harry to the childminder, leaving the car and walking back to the station to go up town. Study in the evenings and weekends, play at families and remain happy in our one bedroom flat.

Christmas was spent at Suzie’s parents with me staying on the extra week to study in peace before the Nav sittings in January. I put so much work in, 14 hours a day head in books. And Suzie, back at home playing the working single mother. God bless her. And Harry? throwing up a lot at the worst possible times – in the car on route the childminder.

Tech course was booked at Guildhall for March, so when my results came through for the Navs I was more than happy with 8/9 first time. I gambled on not doing any climatology for met theory and got 69%. ****. I elected to resit the met after the Techs.

April saw me do the Night Rating at Leeds/ Bradford which was fairly straight forward.

Being quite technical I enjoyed the tech course, only six subjects helped somewhat too! Life was continuing but becoming more and more abnormal. Harry was throwing up more and more often and we just couldn’t get a nights sleep to save our lives. He’d have his milk and an hour or so later bring the whole lot back up and get so distressed. Suzie caught me one night holding him up and asking him after hours of no sleep “what the f*cks the matter with you?” I felt terrible. We’d taken him to see the doctor several times and spent fortunes on different types of milk on their advice due to a perceived allergy.

The tech course finished and I had a week to prepare for the exams. Back up to Staffordshire for some quiet study to cement that knowledge. This was broken 2 days before the exam by a frantic phone call telling me to come home now as Harry had been admitted into hospital. Suzie had been on her way to the childminder, rushing as usual in the morning and Harry had just started vomiting and didn’t stop until he was almost unconscious. The GP’s was just round the corner and that’s where she headed. He was sent straight to hospital.

By the time I arrived he had already been moved on to St George’s in Tooting SW London. Here I was with no car, on public transport trying to get there as quick as I could. 8 hours from Brum to Tooting. Suzie was in a state when I got there. They didn’t know what was up with him but the ultrasound had showed up an abnormality. 2 weeks later his childminder ended up in the same hospital diagnosed with cancer. She never came out. God bless her.

5 weeks later I was still sleeping on the hospital floor due to no facilities being available for parents, but now we were in King’s College, Camberwell. The poor lad had had every test known to man and was been fed through his jugular vein. He had lost so much weight. My techs? Who cares at that point. I phoned the CAA and cancelled ufn.

It turned out Harry had a pancreatic cyst which had never been operated on in the UK before. We had him Christened the day before his pioneering op and shed many tears over the next couple of days in intensive care. As babies do, he recovered very quickly from the operation and has gone on to make a wonderful recovery. My techs? I cancelled the May sitting and sat them in June along with the resit. Getting them all in one go felt like a triumph over adversity.

At this point money was getting pretty low and it was decision time again. BCPL and instruct or BCPL/Upgrade. The sales literature got the better of me and we decided it would be best to get the licence as quick as possible. If we could have afforded a PC I might have found pprune earlier and got some opinions!

OATS was chosen after looking at all the 509 schools for both BCPL and then the Upgrade. Redundancy had gone, shares were all sold, 16v Calibra went for an old Passat Estate and the BCPL/upgrade and LOFT would need £15k remortgage and £8k career development loan.

I rented a room for £50 a week in Kidlington and travelled up and down each weekend on the ‘Tube’, cycling to the airfield each day to save money on the bus fare! I ate pasta and rice and became a hermit. BCPL took from mid August to early October 1998. The GFT was in my opinion the hardest flight test of all. I was so pleased to pass it.

The Upgrade course was immensely enjoyable, 80hrs to do a twin/IR was a doddle, but the test was still a nerve wracking experience. Everything depended on it. I had no money left if I’d got a partial or fail, and I mean no money. When I sailed straight through the Chalo hold after 5 minutes airborne I thought I’d buggered it up, and to recover from that took some hard work. The main thing is I didn’t bugger up putting it right, and as I headed toward Daventry I was swearing at myself inside trying to ‘kick myself up the arse’ and put it out of my mind. It worked. I have not flown an ILS or NDB as well as I did that day since. As the examiner took it on the roll at Coventry we climbed away and I couldn’t believe it that he gave me a full pass. Yippee! They tell you that, then give you 1 hour worth of debrief where I think he just talked straight through me. I just couldn’t concentrate with excitement. I wanted to get that CV out and await the anxious calls of all those Chief Pilots calling me to interview!!!

We were all on a high and between the end of Jan 1999 and into Feb I completed LOFT and got my shiny blue licence issued.

I soon came back down to earth with a bump when all I got with my 50 odd cv’s were 3 applications and nothing else. Oh dear. Now what? Suzie and I set a cut-off of two months before I had to get more hours. Instructing was the only option. What about the money? Old credit card from the BG days came to the rescue.

Decided to go to Teesside as I could get free accommodation not too far away. Throughout the month of May 1999 I completed the course whilst looking after Harry, various relatives taking him throughout the days when I was training. Each night I would come back, feed him, clean him put him to bed and prepare my following days briefings/ lessons.

I was 2 hours from completing the rating using an AFI/QFI upgrader for practice lessons when the CFI asked him if he would be interested in flying a C310 doing the ‘Flying Eye’ for Glasgow for a company called Edinburgh Air Charter. The CFI knew the Chief Pilot very well and was often approached for potential pilots. I was dead envious that this 1000+hr instructor was being offered this on a plate and the job would lead onto full IFR charter work in time. I was amazed when he turned it down because it was in Scotland! The CFI then asked if I would be interested. Damn right I would be. When, Where, and Who do I speak to? Drove up for an interview a couple of days later and went for an impromptu check ride and nearly fell off the sofa when the CP offered me the job!

Started in June 1999, originally just to do the ‘Eye’ to free up the line pilots for the charter work, but as my training progressed the CP (and owner of the company) realised that my instrument flying wasn’t as bad as he would have expected for 280hrs (they’d never taken anyone with less than 700hrs before) and continued the training onto the C402 and C404. Three weeks later there was I going single crew into Heathrow with 9 pax in a 404. Jesus Christ! It was fabulous.

Two months later my world nearly fell apart when the CP and his co-pilot were tragically killed along with several Airtours crew in the Glasgow accident in the 404. I was shocked. Deeply shocked. We all were. I’d just had 2 days off and gone back down to London to see Suzie and Harry and walked back into the office to be met with the news that the 404 had gone down. I couldn’t quite believe it. I’d flown it only a few days before.

There was I, 300 odd hours, 2 months experience, one of only two people in the office facing a growing hoard of the nations media. It wasn’t pleasant.

The accident was devastating. Could I continue my short career being so close to this tragedy? Suzie couldn’t handle it. She was down in London trying to work, look after our child, sell a flat and deal with this, oh and of course she was now pregnant with our second. We didn’t operate for a couple of months and this gave us all time to deal with our thoughts. A lot of talking and reasoning went on and we all decided we wanted to continue our work and build the company back up.

I shall never forget those who died that day, one of whom gave me my first break in aviation. R.I.P.

The work started again and I went back onto just 310’s for a while and took things at a lot slower pace, building the confidence back up before going back onto the 400’s. The hours built steadily, we sold the flat and Suzie and Harry joined me in Scotland. We spent a very happy year in Dunblane, Edward arriving early in October 1999 whilst I was on an ‘islands’ trip. I rushed back, drove up the motorway to the hospital and missed the action by 15 minutes! Will I never be on time?. We got married in August 2000 and moved on to rent in Dunfermline.

The honeymoon week saw me post off a cv to JMC as I’d heard they were recruiting and asking a minimum of 700hrs. I now had nearly 900 of which 700 odd was multi/IFR. I called and mailed, called and mailed and called and mailed over 4 months trying to get an interview. I was on the verge of giving up as I’d heard that the recruitment was to end before Christmas when a last ditch attempt with a CV emailed to the ‘man who counts’ on a Friday night with a follow up call on the Monday lead to a call back and request for interview. I was over the moon. I’d completed MCC at Multiflight in November and went on an interview coaching course for pilots. It did the trick. Passed the interview and arranged for the sim assessment for the New Year. Spent nearly £900 on a couple of hours practice at Gecat and had a crack at the check-ride. It took 6 days to get the result. I honestly did not know what the result would be. You just can’t tell. A pass. Medical to go, no probs, job offer two days later. I’m there. I’ve done it. Type and line training to go and I’m there.....the rhs of a 757. Life felt so good on Friday 25th January 2001 when that phone rang, and it still does. If you see me in training you won’t be able to miss me, I’m the one with the beaming smile from ear to ear........................

Pilot Pete.

ps. Was it worth it all? You bet it was.

Good Luck Wannabees.

[This message has been edited by Pilot Pete (edited 04 February 2001).]

hasell
4th Feb 2001, 17:06
It's a wet sunday can't go flying (still at PPL stage), so I've stayed in and logged onto PPRUNE.
I've just finshed reading your 'epic' tale. Excellent inspirational stuff. Many congratulations on landing the job of your dreams ...and ours :-)

BIG MISTER
4th Feb 2001, 17:16
What a story - well done indeed Sir !

Ive just been down to Redhill. Anyone got a fishing rod ?

Gatwicks not much better. A JMC was on finals just as we came off junction 9 M23.
Looked like he / she was having fun with the wind sheer that had just been reported.

MY TURN SOON PLEASE ! ! ! !

Any more stories - we need to turn on as many lights at the end of the tunnel as possible !

KEEP EM COMING ;0)

Autofly
4th Feb 2001, 20:31
An inspiration to us all. One hell of a story and the classic if you want something you go and get it. Congrats on it all Pilot Pete

AF

kennyboy
4th Feb 2001, 21:07
What an inspiring tale pete.You certainly demonstrate that to achieve a courageous goal in life you need to burn all bridges of retreat and dont give up until you achieve that goal.
I myself am in a similar position to what you were.I left a well paid job to commence my cpl/ir training having also sold a small buisness to fund the training.
I am due to go to the US to commence my PPL but I am having doubts about whether I will attain a position once qualified.Your tale tells me basically to stop fannying around like an old mare and just get on with it and don,t quit at no point.
Well done mate .

Flying Spider
4th Feb 2001, 23:44
Fantastic story - truly inspirational! You are made of the right stuff!!

Enjoy the 75!

November Whiskey
5th Feb 2001, 00:23
Pilot Pete,

Congratulations on the RHS and what a wonderful story!

I'm still doing my PPL and want to progress through the modular route. Only today I was reading all the FTO's literature and ended up getting hacked off at the thought of that dough needed. If only I'd got those qualifications I could have applied for an airline sponsorship!!!

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you on what it's realy like flying with the big boys.

In the meantime, I'm flying with JMC to Tenerife on 18/5/01 flight JMC033K. If you're up front I'd love a jumpseat for landing and to have a chat if it's not too much trouble?

Cheers and all the best to you and the family!

N.W.

------------------
To go-around, not to go-around, that is the question.......

[This message has been edited by November Whiskey (edited 04 February 2001).]

EGPFlyer
5th Feb 2001, 02:14
If you are ever back in Glasgow drop me a line and i'll gladly buy you a pint. You have earned it for all of the times you have flew over head and made me think 'hmmm...flying..i could get into that!'
Thanks PP...you will be missed in Glasgow

[This message has been edited by EGPFlyer (edited 05 February 2001).]

JimNich
5th Feb 2001, 02:29
PP,

Glad I read your post sir. I was fretting about how I can fund my JAR CPL (with two baby boys and another due in June) and was fast running out of steam (with the added hurdles of approaching forty and the wife quite rightly running out of tolerance).

Although I will never be able to fly for the likes of JMC (age) I now have a little more enthusiasm and will to forge ahead.

Thankyou

Jim Nicholas

Stay Puft
5th Feb 2001, 03:17
Pilot Pete,

You tell a very moving and compelling story which is an inspiration to us all.

I wish you, Suzie, Harry and Edward the very best of luck for what the rest of your rewarding and exciting career.

Kind Regards,

SP

Delta Wun-Wun
5th Feb 2001, 03:59
Pete thanks very much for the story.I hope Harry is fully recovered now.You certainly deserve your new post and I wish you the best of luck.Suzie your wife sounds one hell of a lady to put up with every thing whilst you were training.I wish you and your family all the best for 2001. :) :) :)

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

scroggs
5th Feb 2001, 18:22
PP. Bloody excellent - well done, and thanks for sharing it here!

careerchange
5th Feb 2001, 19:52
Pilot Pete,

What a fantastic story. Only real life can be that dramatic. I got tears in my eyes while reading. Just after wiping them away I now have to thank you for sharing your story. It's very inspirational and I must save it for the future. I will most certainly go for it myself.

I wish you and your extraordinary wife the very best. Ohhh, I wish for a girl like that! :-)

Bovey
6th Feb 2001, 01:13
PP,

You have risked all and gained everything...your story tells me what I have to do.

Congratulations on achieving your dream, you deserve it.

Bovey

Life will be a beach with ice cream!

The flying gunman
6th Feb 2001, 03:05
Well done pete,
Out of interest how old are you?
I admire your qualities you deserve it all,hope i can keep up a tenth of your commitment

------------------
He who smiles when the sh** hits the fan has found someone else to blame!

eject
6th Feb 2001, 04:18
just read jimnich's posting and always intrigued to hear what other "oldies"!!?? are thinking. I'm forty and planning to go to the US in 3 or 4 months time to start on the trek towards developing from a 25hrs PPL student to 700 hrs ATPL. I believe the folks who say it can be a little more difficult for those of us who have a few more miles on the clock. However, it is obvious from reading these pages, that the right attitude and sufficient determination, can pay dividends. If there's anyone out there who can give some tips/info on the US side of the equation as well as any general comment of a constructive nature, ideally based on 1st hand experience, I'd be glad to hear from you.

no sponsor
6th Feb 2001, 21:35
What a moving, emotional, rollercoaster of a journey you have had. Congratualtions and well done are not enough.

You are an inspirational to all self-improver wannabes.

JMC have a gem.

FlyingRower
6th Feb 2001, 22:03
Pilot Pete

As everybody else has already said this is great..just what is needed when plodding through the distance learning material !!

Out of interest (from another British Gas employee !) how where you when you started out on this trek ??

Great stuff !

------------------

TwoDeadDogs
6th Feb 2001, 23:52
Hi there
Top marks,Pete.A great story.Your wife and assorted childminding relatives should be elevated to sainthood.Prospective jockeys should be made to learn this by heart.
regards
TDD

old-timer
7th Feb 2001, 01:04
TOP MAN.......

I SALUTE YOU.....

Bovey
7th Feb 2001, 02:55
I know PP and he is 33 now nearly 34 and started training when he was 29.

He was working for BG in Mitcham up until May 1996.

I know he is training this week but will be able to post an update on his return.

To all those wannabes. Don't ever give up, to get in the RHS of a 757 takes everything...

Do Not Quit

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must - but do not quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Do not give up, though the pace seems slow -
You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you are hardest hit
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Bovey

Zeitgebers
7th Feb 2001, 04:08
To answer the post :
I was in South Africa a couple of years ago and rented a cherokee from an airfield in George on the garden route. CFI was english and said he could do a CPL for £ 15k. That was at 7 to the quid. Check out the rate now ! Also possibility of work flying A1 burning equipment in Africa. I don't have any other info but its food for thought.

GreasedItOn!
7th Feb 2001, 05:53
Great post PP, and congrats on getting there!
Reading that gets the motivation going and the determination to strive for that elusive jet job :)
Thanks for sharing your story !

Hopefully this thread can be continued with others posting there success stories...

Deeko01
7th Feb 2001, 06:25
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the help when you were with EAC, hopefuly I will bump into you when you are sitting in a EAC or RVR twin being moved to GLA for extra crew, or if you are operating out of GLA let me know and we will go for a pint.

Luv to the family! :-)

P.S. did you copyright the story as you can bring it out on a book!!!, thanks for the inspiration mate and good luck with JMC !!

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Feb 2001, 15:17
Well. Nice story, congrats.

I´ll update my own story in a few months time when I have actually passed the B733 course and am online (not counting chickens etc.).

However in brief terms I did the whole thing - zero to RHS jet - for 16.5 thousand pounds.

Here´s how.

Join the Air Cadets and get sent solo in a motor glider at age 16. Be keener than mustard and get asked to stay on as a staff cadet. Stay keen as mustard and get asked to become a volunteer instructor with them.

At the same time get sponsored by the Air Force and also get a flying scholarship. Use the money from the former to upgrade the latter into a PPL. MAintain the PPL by flying as a volunteer flying instructor at the weekends with the Air Cadets.

Got to Uni now and join the UAS and again be as keen as mustard and get lots of very very high quality hours in. At the end of Uni get a boring graduate job for two years, live at home, and save 16 thousand pounds.

Whilst doing second year of boring graduate job start studying the ATPL exams via distance learning. Use holidays from job to take exams and as soon as you pass them quit.

Quit instructing as a volunteer for the air cadets and go do a BCPL and IMC course costing you 6k. Persuade the CAA to count your volunteer Air Cadet Instructing towards the issue of a civvy AFI rating at about 300 quid cost for the test.

You´ve now been out of work for 8 weeks and have spent just shy of 9k on exams and a BCPL IMC AFI. Immediately walk into an instructing job back at home which you have been lining up for the last 3 years. Do that for a year get to 1000hrs and then do an Instrument and Multi Engine rating costing 6 grand plus 1 grand for accom and ratings issue.

Next get a job with a large Flying College and earn a proper salary and lifestyle (somewhere near the Med if possible ;)

Do that for a year and then start applying for airline jobs - after all, you are teaching their baby pilots how to fly!

Get airline job. You´ve spent 16.5k (I kept ALL the bills from day one) and have earned from instructing about 30k gross. Take out living expenses and beer money and you´ve come out about even. No debt, 1500 odd hrs and an airline job. Payback was 2 years and was only out of work for 8 weeks.

Met some great people and made some lifelong friends. Obviously a major thanks goes to Liz for getting me started for nothing.

It can be done.

Tight Slot
7th Feb 2001, 15:52
PP, did you get my full in depth e-mail on life in the north west? Just wonndering if you have had a change of heart, and gone to LGW (darn sarf), where they drink fizzy lager.

PS - can you get your latest post in hard back???

funkster
8th Feb 2001, 18:34

If you don't mind me asking: you said in your last post that you got a instructor job to work up to 1000hrs, how easy is it to get this sort of job? Are there many around, did you apply or did you get it through some one you knew.
Also you then went on to say that you got a instructing job with a large flying college, presumably BAe in Jerez, again did you reply to an advert? What qualifications/hrs did they require? Or did you find out about the vacancy through a contact? How difficult is this sort of job to get? ie what are my chances once qualified?

Answers to these questions will be very appreciated as I am currently researching what exactly to do after PPL!

RVR800
8th Feb 2001, 18:39
Hats off..

Respect..

and to your wife..

You BOTH have an honorary multi-crew cooperation course DISTINCTION

Now that IS cooperation

[This message has been edited by RVR800 (edited 08 February 2001).]

steven
8th Feb 2001, 18:40
Great stuff mate.
It guys like you that lead the way in inspiring us lot. It just proves that When the going gets tough you can't just look for excuses you have to look for every possible way of achieving your dream.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Feb 2001, 20:34
Instructor jobs are fairly easy to come by.

kopbhoy2
8th Feb 2001, 21:05
Pilot Pete - inspirational stuff! When you retire after a long and successful career you should go into the world of literature!! :)

Watch out Clive Hughes ;)

Congratulations, and good luck!

Pilot Pete
9th Feb 2001, 21:58
Well, what can I say? You're encouraging replies have been an inspiration to me. I never thought I would start a 'burning topic' unless I really fouled up!!!!

I'm in the North Terminal at Gatwick having just finished my first week doing S.E.P.'s (Standard Emergency Procedures) which seems to have been a gentle start to the course.

To answer your various questions:

EGPFlyer : not sure if we've ever met or not but a pint sounds just dandy if I'm in Glasgow again.

The flying gunman : I was 29 nearly 30 when I started my PPL in late 1996. CPL/IR issued when nearly 32.

FlyingRower : I joined BG South Eastern as it was then in Katherine Street Croydon working on the 3rd floor in the Computer Room. The whole department moved to a purpose built site in Mitcham later that same year.

Tight Slot : Yes I did get the email, many thanks. I haven't had time to sit down and really read/ reply to it yet.

Many thanks to everyone else who has replied with such kind words. I am glad the posting has been encouraging to some of you. Keep up the hard work and best of luck to you all.

Still waiting to find out when and where the type rating course is going to be.

Regards

PP

Pilot Pete
11th Feb 2001, 01:04
Just thought I would let you in on a little secret that Bovey has been keeping from us......................................

SHE'S MY WIFE!

Another success for pprune, and isn't it amazing how devious the female of our species can be!!!

JimNich
11th Feb 2001, 01:36
Eject,

Sorry I haven't replied but have been tied up with other things of late (I really do wish the wife would stop doing that).

Anyway, this is PPs thread and there are plenty of other "oldies V the rest" threads around, I will e-mail you soon with the problem as I see it (more from experiences of good friends than my own).

Once again , Pilot Pete, thankyou for your story.

Bovey, TOP poem!

FL245
13th Feb 2001, 18:58
Pilot Pete,

I do belive your story is missing out some interesting points !

Remember going into LHR in the C310 when we had the radio failure as we were told to report established on the ILS for 27R !!! What a day ! I still laugh at that !

Well mate we have BOTH made it, I have just got the type on my licence today.

Hi Suzie !

See you when you need a hand in moving house !

Left On The Greens !

foghorn
14th Feb 2001, 13:43
Congratulations to PP, FL245 and WWW

Reading this thread produces a maelstrom of emotions: intense admiration and extreme jealousy!

Hopefully it won't be too long before we see some of the other regulars on Wannabes talking about their new airline jobs, and maybe, at some point, myself as well :)

Pilot Pete
23rd Feb 2001, 03:36
FL245

back to the old 'handle' again I see. Yes it was pretty funny wasn't it! Do you remember the Nazi on the ground who gave us so much s**t for it, and we were paying her fees!!!!!

Well done to you on the type rating, enjoy those short sectors and loadsa landings.

You should tell your story mate........I bet the punters would love the bit where Suzie got you out 'jogging' with the baby!!!!!!!

See ya soon and you owe me dinner........anything but MY Singapore Noodles recipe!!!!!!!

PP

Delta Wun-Wun
23rd Feb 2001, 21:13
I hope you will keep us posted on how the training is going.I wonder if anyone else would like to tell their story...Does help when you get p****d off and wonder where to turn next....Good look

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

gimpboy
24th Feb 2001, 08:55
Pilot pete.......

As many other have said.......

What a truly fantastic account of how it really happens for most people. SIR - I salute you and would love to meet you one day. Also a note for your amazing wife - If ever I had a reason to doubt marriage - this is not it.

May this post be a lesson to all wannabes, myself included, as to just how much commitment is involved in realising our dream.

I can honestly say that this post has touched me deeply and help me focus on the goal ahead. I thank you.

As you can tell I am fairly new to PPRUNE, but already I am seeing the benefits. One question however.....

I trust the self improver route is all but closed off now???? - My route is to save dosh as an IT contracter..... however is there any cheaper routes than a full or modular 509 course??? - and would this affect my chances of getting a job at the end of it???

Love to hear your comments pete and everyone with an interest.

P.S. - good luck with JMC.

Pilot Pete
25th Feb 2001, 05:00
Gimpboy

Not sure on the self improver route now......best you start a thread about it yourself, after having searched the archives as it seems to p*ss a few people off if we have repeat posts.

I was under the impression that you could still do it, it is just that it's done in modules now of approved training, probably pretty close in cost to the route I took going on a BCPL Upgrade. You will come out with similar hours(read 'not many' into that) and will then have to give your all in the same way to get a start.

Best of luck,

Oh, and you contractors always earnt more than us permanent boys so I expect to see you qualified pretty soon!

PP

Jim lovell
14th Apr 2001, 05:47
what was he flying?