PDA

View Full Version : Professor Fels you legend

wot_tha
12th Apr 2003, 14:34
With the recent events of the proposed merger of two well known airlines. Good to see yet again Professor Allan Fels true to form and standing up to the big boys in buisness to keep a little competition in the industry. I bet there is no one hated more in the boardrooms of some big industry, namely one massive airline company here in oz. He is like a niggly little prickle, no matter how hard you try, you cant get it out of your foot. However he has the effect of being a very large thorn in the side of big buisness keeping them honest. He will be a huge loss to the ACCC when he leaves but I bet the big boys are counting down the days to his retirement. Good onya Professor, your a legend.

Whiskery
12th Apr 2003, 15:26
Just like Singapore Airlines buying into Ansett - that "deal" was NEVER going to get to first base. :ok:

*Lancer*
12th Apr 2003, 16:34
Well let's hope for Air New Zealand's sake that they can stand alone without the investment of Qantas...

The lesser of two evils, would have seen Air NZ operate successfully in partnership with Qantas for the indefinate future.

TIMMEEEE
13th Apr 2003, 09:03
Wot_tha, it kind of makes me laugh a bit the way you make it look like a one-man stand against "the big boys" as you like to call them.

Mr Fels is just another public servant doing his job and the decision he makes is done after a team collects alot of info and then conducts numerous meetings and research.
Fels also has strict guidelines about how to conduct his business and just what is termed as non-competitive or not.
In this case he did his job (same with the NZ counterparts).
If that makes him a legend Wot_Tha then I reackon you need to check its definition.

Don Bradman, Alan Border, Sam Kekovich..........they are legends!!!

Apart from this the final decision has not been handed down and will be done so in approximately 60 days (+/-).

Qantas and Air NZ were well aware that this would be the decision and that some sacrifices will have to be made.
Mention of this is currently on this site.
Dont be surprised to see Freedom Air change hands or some such sweetener for VB to ply the Tasman.

Fels a legend...............................NOT! :E

Whiskery
13th Apr 2003, 10:23
Good post TIMMEEEE and you are correct. However you did omit a couple of legends.................

Stan Magro, Billy Picken, Tony Shaw, Nathan Buckley..................................................... ................;) :D :ok:

Raider1
14th Apr 2003, 20:04
Whickery what a strange post.
Had that deal gone through Australasia would now have had a much stronger commercial airline industry. And oh yes there would not have been 16,000 plus Australians unemployed :sad:

FullScale
15th Apr 2003, 08:09
Daicos..............................:ok:

VeeBee
15th Apr 2003, 08:58
I sometimes wonder just how big a market must be in order for a truly competitive situation to exist. By that I mean reasonable stability for those providing the service and competitive prices for the customers. I used to think that the U.S represented such a model but look at it now. I doubt that the Trans Tasman market is big enough to sustain dog eat dog competition without a continuous string of start ups and failures. The members of the "watchdogs" on either side of the Tasman have no real idea what the future will hold with or without the deal. If they did, they wouldnt be wasting their time on government Quangos guessing about the future, they would out there making a fortune.

bitter balance
15th Apr 2003, 10:08
The ACCC weakened a very fragile market with their decision. If that makes Prof Fels a legend, well great.

invertedlandings
15th Apr 2003, 10:55
Personally I think the post by wot tha is a windup- Professor Fels has had nothing but a personal vendetta against Qf since coming into the position just look at his pursuit of alledged QF dumping capacity on domestic routes to combat VB- went absolutely nowhere. Objective?? I don't think so. Legend?? Definitely not in the Australian sense- certainly not a Bradman et al. You would have thought that 2500 job redundencies from QF this year ( and 16000 in the region in the last 18 months) would have made the regulatory authorities( read:government) wake- up and doing something to protect our industry (see: US Government). By the way wot tha, are you related to Mr Fels?? Or is your last name Godfrey??

Longhauler
15th Apr 2003, 18:11
I recall reading somewhere that Mr Fels is not qualified as a Professor - the title is honorary. I cannot find anything to back this up right now so I stand to be corrected. But if it is true then PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE call him Mr. I imagine that to academically achieve the title of Professor is not an easy task so lets not insult all those that are truly worthy of the title.

Secondly, in the name of recognition, here are the people who, along with their teams, have most likely done all the hard yards to arrive at any decision that Mr Fels proclaims in front of the camera:

Chief Executive Officer (Cbr)
Brian Cassidy
(02) 6243 1124

Mergers and Asset Sales (Cbr, Syd & Mel)
General Manager
Mark Pearson
(02) 6243 1276

Adjudication (Cbr)
General Manager
Tim Grimwade
(02) 6243 1226

General Counsel
Robert Alexander
(02) 6243 1283

Corporate Management (Cbr & Mel)
General Manager
Helen Lu
(02) 6243 1009

Legal Group
Bruce Brown
(02) 6243 1273
Regulatory Affairs Division (Mel)
Executive General Manager
Joe Dimasi
(03) 9290 1814

Electricity Group (Cbr & Melb)
General Manager (Acting)
Sebastian Roberts
(03) 9290 1867

Gas Group (Cbr & Syd)
General Manager (Acting)
Russell Phillips
(02) 6243 1259

Transport and Prices Oversight (Mel)
General Manager
Margaret Arblaster
(03) 9290 1862

Telecommunications Group (Mel)
General Manager
Michael Cosgrave
(03) 9290 1914

Compliance Division (Cbr)
Executive General Manager
David Smith
(02) 6243 1234

Enforcement and Coordination(Cbr)
General Manager
Lee Hollis
(02) 6243 1382

Compliance Strategies Branch (Cbr)
General Manager
Robert Antich
(02) 6243 1297

Small Business
Director
Nigel Ridgeway
(02) 6243 1223

Media Liaison (Cbr)
Lin Enright
(02) 6243 1108

General publication queries (Cbr)
Robert Booth
(02) 6243 1143

LH

lambeth1
16th Apr 2003, 05:33
looks like the kiwi's will have to go it alone this time and they won't have the op to pull someone down with them.finally the free loaders will have to go it alone in the big bad world.

Kwaj mate
16th Apr 2003, 08:12
lambeth1 - you're an idiot :suspect:

Torres
16th Apr 2003, 09:15
Longhauler, I don't think you are correct. There are no academic qualification for the title "professor", contrary to the title "doctor" which requires a doctorial degree.

And considering Prof Fels is shortly to take up an academic professorial appointment, one would assume he has distinctive and appropriate academic qualifications.

Regardless which way you look at it, cross equity participation in any form between QF and TE must be anti competitive, at least in the short term. Prof Fels draft report opposing QF equity in TE was inevitable. The draft report merely sets the scene for further negotiation. which may ultimately result in acceptance by both Australian and New Zealand consumer protection authorities to approve the merger.

Longhauler
16th Apr 2003, 09:52
Torres,

Tou·ché

Longhauler.

P.S. I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding the decision however Mr (sorry couldn't resist it) Fels stated on "Sunday" that he would consider any concessions that would prohibit QF/ANZ from re-entering the budget market if they offloaded Freedom Air. Is that not grossly anti-competitive?

LH

bitter balance
16th Apr 2003, 10:23
Torres, there is no surprise that the ACCC found the QF/ANZ deal to be anti-competitive. The surprise is the nature of the draft report. The report nearly unanimously denied every argument put forward by QF and ANZ that the deal was in the public interest. I believe QF were always expecting some horse-trading however this draft slammed the door pretty hard. Does the ACCC know more about the aviation industry than most?

G.Khan
16th Apr 2003, 14:25
I think you will find that Whiskery doesn't actually like SIA very much.;)

[And I think, had SIA bought a substantial chunk if AN, there would have been a lot of lay-offs as it was considered at the time to be overstaffed or, so I hear from friends in SQ, - personally I haven't a clue].

Torres
16th Apr 2003, 14:52
Bitter Balance. You are correct, however some of the "justification" and arguements put by the airlines in the media were rather "plastic."

The harder the door appears to be slammed shut now in the draft decision, the more concessions the primary players are going to concede, before the proposed cross equity arrangement is finally approved. Stand by for some crocodile tears in Sydney and Auckland!

I'm sure the ACCC knows no more about commercial aspects of aviation than any other Government entity. That is not their task. Their mandate is to protect the populance against predatory or monopolistic practices - and be honest, both QF and TE have some fairly monopolistic routes!

I'm sure the QF/TE agreement will be approved in due course. But when it is, trans Tasman services will not be monopolistic, rather the route will be opened to other players, both domestic Australia and New Zealand and international operators.

My observations and opinions only. I don't hold any candles for or against QF, TE or the ACCC.

lambeth1
16th Apr 2003, 16:48
kwaj mate: your a fool who should go back to the land of the long white collered rort

Whiskery
17th Apr 2003, 18:38
Fullscale - my apologies, Peter Daicos was indeed another player deserved of legend status.

GK - liking or disliking SQ had no bearing on the fact that Ansett was never going to be purchsed fully or in part by them.
History has shown, SQ was never interested in AN. When TESNA pulled out, SQ could have moved in on AN for a bargain basement price. Nothing happened - nothing was EVER going to happen !

Read all my past posts on the subject. I predicted from the very start to finish - SQ would never put one Singapore cent towards the purchase of AN and they never did.

Case closed.:{ :{ :{

corsairx
17th Apr 2003, 21:43
C'mon fella's... Surely there's an aussie legend in something besides sport!!

Gnadenburg
17th Apr 2003, 22:08
Gday Whiskery,

Rubbish. SQ wanted an investment in AN. Very publically the deal was agreed to on the steps of parliament, with Cheong and Howard shaking hands. AirNZ vetoed and the rest is history.

With the maintenance debacles and union baggage , SQ knew it could not be saved in the end.

Moving on to Collingwood. Peter Moore worthy of legendary status. He was years ahead of his time. The mobile ruckman. Since you fair weather supporters are so quick to forget your Brownlow medallists, what about Lenny Thompson? His daughter an AN F/A.

*Lancer*
17th Apr 2003, 23:31
LH and Torres,

Fels was the Director of the Monash Grad School of Mgt a while ago, however, the title is now honorary.

from the net: "Professor Fels' appointment is made under the provisions of Monash University Statute 3.4.4 which provides for the Council to appoint Honorary Professors for periods of up to five years."

I guess it's up to the individual whether to insist using it as their personal title...

G.Khan
18th Apr 2003, 06:51
Where on earth do you get your version of history from? Maybe you should be the one reading the archives as you will then see that as well as Gnadenburg several others made the same point, that SIA were interested in AN as a going concern, the money was available, the deal had government approval and it was your pals from ANZ, (or their holding company), that screwed it all up and exercised their 'golden vote' option allowing them first go at buying the remaining 50% of AN.

SQ were never interested in buying anyone elses bankrupt bits and pieces and said so, as soon as ANZ exercised their option and long before liquidation occurred.

Your 'prophecy' only proved correct because ANZ chose to scotch the deal SIA had already agreed to and not through any deep and meaningful insight on your part. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

Three Bars
18th Apr 2003, 08:48
Good to see Fels protecting us all from the evil empire of QF.

Now to the latest news - aussie banks make 7.8 BILLION dollars in one year on FEES!!! Can't wait to see the shining white steed of the ACCC ride into battle against the banks.

It's always interesting to compare the business ethics of banks and airlines.

Banks - provide customers with fewer branches and services and charge fees for everything. Customers feel POWERLESS to stop the erosion of services. When one bank raises its fees, the others all follow suit and all of the banks make billions of dollars in profits.

Airlines - are expected to provide higher and higher levels of service and facilities. Customers EXPECT airlines to continually increase service levels while lowering fares. Airlines undercut each other to increase market share while lowering their profits in airfare wars. Airlines reduce margins to the bare minimum in a "If I go broke after you - I win" approach.

Maybe airlines should take a banking approach:

1. Centralise all flights from a few locations - if you want our service, you'll come to us!

2. Make maximum use of electronic bookings and reduce personalised service. Slash Australian jobs to maximise corporate profits.

3. Make up a schedule of fees to cover the provision of EVERY service on a flight:
a) blanket - $5
b) headset - $10
c) meals - breakfast $10, lunch $20, dinner $40
d) flight attendant call button - $20
e) incabin baggage stowage - $10 per bag
f) lost baggage query - $50
g) CPT's PA announcement - $10
h) use of barf bag - $1
i) disposal of used barf bag - $100
j) inflight entertainment - $25 per movie
k) use of toilet - $25 per visit

4. Ensure all airlines apply similar fee structures and increase them regularly.

5. MAKE MEGA DOLLARS while being self-regulating.

Come on, Mr Fels, if you are a legend and want to look after the punters, let's see you take on these guys!

Whiskery
18th Apr 2003, 10:27
On the subject of SQ purchasing AN

CASE CLOSED

:{ :{ :{

On the subject of aussie legends other than sportsmen

Bob Menzies, Alan Bond, Slim Dusty, AC / DC, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Ernie Bridge...........and the list goes on!:ok:

Giovanni Cento Nove
18th Apr 2003, 15:54
Alan Bond - English

Nicole Kidman - American

Mel Gibson - American

World famous throughout Australia!

amos2
18th Apr 2003, 16:21
Alfred E Neuman!? ;)

BarryMonday
18th Apr 2003, 20:45
Ah yes Whiskery that's a familiar technique, roll a grenade through the door and then f%^k off, certainly saves you having to try and support your hypothesis with any kind of facts, real ones that is, not the BS you posted earlier!

Gnadenburg
18th Apr 2003, 21:05
Whiskery

Bob Menzies?

The only leader in history to allow another nation to explode nuclear bombs on his nation's soil. A pig of a man(pig iron Bob) selling this country out to the Japanese pre and post war.

If he had the stature of a great leader he would have led this country in wartime, but thankfully he was deposed of his Prime Ministership before the critical hours. This preventing his pro English stance that would have stranded our troops in far away British military fiascos (replays of Gallipoli ) whilst the Japanese on our doorstep.

What's a boy from Collingwood doing in admiration for Australia's social elite anway? Bob a Carlton supporter too.

Virgin pilot and Collingwood supporter. A scruffy working class background I would have thought.

Kaptin M
18th Apr 2003, 22:55
Enduring Aussie legends

VEGEMITE - this one has to head the list.

The wine cask - well actually the "bladder" that is an integral part of the cardboard wine "casks" that can be found everywhere.

The Gold Coast - Australia's favourite resort. It's got 'em thronging from Vic., W.A. and Kiwi Land...not to mention Japan.
In fact, I would guesstimate that MOST Japanese have been/are going to visit the Gold Coast. Maybe THAT'S the reason all the street sign in Surfers are in Japanese!!

Koala bears and 'Roos...not to mention wombats, and the ornithorhynchus'.

FJ's and dinki dye Aussie poies - floaters with a liberal dose of Rosella Tomata Sauce.

The great Aussie LIFESTYLE.
Something that scores of Aussie pilots have decided to return to, (with Virgin Blue) instead of banking 3 - 5 times the salary VB pays, and that they were previously on overseas.

Blue Hills, by Gwen Meredith

Greenbottle.

Dubbo, Wooloongabba, Gonoo Gonoo, The Black Stump, Ocker.
All uniquely Oz names!

Yeah Whiskery, Bob Menzies was one, so was Lang Hancock, Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, Bert Hinkler, Charles Ulm, etc, etc, etc.
All transients (like Jim Spark, J.O'B, and Mrs J.)

Whiskery
19th Apr 2003, 09:25
Gnadenburg - I shall remind you of your cruel words (re: admiration for Australia's social elite) when Eddie Maguire is elected Prime Minister of this country !;)

Sly'n Smiley
19th Apr 2003, 09:56
Back in the old days, you had to slay a Minitor or steal a Golden Fleece or somthing really cool to be a legend. Now it's.. " Ha, moi cuzzin Nickos, heees a fukin' legin' man. His WRX can go 2 huntret kilomerers an hour.."

TIMMEEEE
21st Apr 2003, 05:21
Whiskery - was that the one and same Eddie Maguire I sat next to recently on a SYD-MEL flight in first class?
After he sat down and fidgeted I said gidday, he snorted, grunted, never looked at me and didnt say a word.
To boot he even tried to hog my side of the armrest.

Nice guy! (And it wasnt my usual foul stench, charm, wit or incredible boyish charm that pi$$ed him off!).

Whiskery
21st Apr 2003, 07:21
No. The real Eddie Maguire would have been travelling on Virgin.:D (He's from a working class background!)

Douglas Mcdonnell
21st Apr 2003, 07:58
I read somewhere that Fells was a one time soap opera actor. Appearing in early episodes of the Sullivans and Cop Shop!!