PDA

View Full Version : BA Cep question

jetset737
4th Feb 2001, 00:10
Just wondering how much BA like to see somebody applying for the CEP with a couple of flying hrs. built up and is it a major advantage over somebody with no flying experience

left outer, right inner
4th Feb 2001, 00:41
Hi there 737!

The way I see it, and the way I have been told in my debrief last year, was "do not teach yourself to fly, cos we'll do that". However, I think that a few hours in your log book WILL count, for this reason.......one of the hardest jobs in the interview to do is convince them that flying commercially and for BA is THE thing that you want/need/have to do with your life.

If you have no hours then it will be very difficult to convince them.."how do you know you want to fly if you have no hours logged?"..very difficult to answer. There are of course other things that need to be stated to answer this question, but basically a few hours could make all the difference (I will let you know in about 3 months if I get through lol!!!!!)

It is true obviuosly that they will teach us to fly, but they need to be convinced that we are making the correct choice in career, but also they need to be convinced of it too.

Therefore, the "why do you want to be a pilot" question is a crucial one (as of course they all are but..)

We are all applying against a set standard, and not against each other. For this reason, comparisons should not be made between individuals because we are all different and there are so many variables in the equation.

Flying hours WILL help, but the whole package needs to be there!

I hope this helps...this is my view point on the topic

Good luck if you are applying now, and all the best for the future.

(btw I have my aptitudes on mon 5th feb so heres hoping :-) )

LORI

airforcenone
4th Feb 2001, 01:52
I joined as a CEP in 1998 (started training in 96) with 100hrs PPL, UAS and RAF Flying Scholarship. The company's unofficial line was that this was about the realistic maximum, however it probably depends on the individual. Personally, I would say that a few hours under the belt probably looks pretty good, maybe even going solo. However, don't over do it. Work on the principle that the best flying is when someone else is paying!!

flying doc
4th Feb 2001, 03:08
If you have the drive..genuinely, you don't need lots of flying hours. I know people personally who have got in with a whole variety of TT, from zero to 1 hour in C172, to PPL to Flying Schol to even a guy with 200 hours. The latter was an extreme, and most probably a one off, but if you do some flying you will be able to decide if you like it, can do it, and want to do it the rest of your life. airforceone makes an excellent point - he had the 'ideal' kind of max hours but it varies from applicant to applicant. BA will train you, in the way THEY want you to fly, so don't go overboard. I personally wouldn't get any additional ratings (except maybe Night at a push) on a CAA or JAA PPL but I am sure opinions will differ so dont just go on that. It's all coming your way for nothing if you get in.

The VERY best of luck to you!!!

FD :)

jetset737
4th Feb 2001, 03:11
Out lefter right inner,
Will you e-mail me on everything that happens at your appitude tests.

left outer, right inner
4th Feb 2001, 03:35
Yup!