PDA

View Full Version : Bill Pike Out/NAS Proceeding W/O controversy

Captain Custard
11th Apr 2003, 11:14
I'm a bit slow with the papers these days, and have only just read the oz of Mar 28 which describes Bill Pike's deaprture from the helm of AOPA.

All I can say is good riddance. Under the stewardship of back-to-back Qantas Captains and other well-heeled experts, AOPA has descended from being one of the premier representative bodies to a pack of rabble-rousing, hardover malcontents. They and their leaders have had a dominating hand in:

+ the destruction of the AAIC,
+ the rewrite of the Regs (which they only have themselves to blame: they were the ones that started it all),
+ the decimation of G/A at the GAAP airports,
+ the introduction of the most unbelievably ridiculous airspace system the world has ever known, with only two categories: "D" and "S".
+ a huge reduction in AOPA member numbers.

Hopefully, AOPA will now steer a path where they engage others in the industry and government with practical, logical and commonsense dialog instead of carrying on like raving lunatics. Still, I will miss the missives of the Bill brigade in the AOPA rag!

In the same article, the Minister says that "airspace reform is proceeding without the controversy that dogged it in the past". You don't say! Now I wonder why that would be? Perhaps because most of us have been gagged? Only those who are owed a big favour get a say?? Or do you have to own a Citation?

fartsock
11th Apr 2003, 11:37
Custard,

These two are not indicative of QF capts (thank christ)

They are regarded by the QF pilot body with almost universal contempt.

I, like many others refused to renew my AOPA membership whilst either of them were involved.

BLO MOI
11th Apr 2003, 12:20
couldnt agree more fartsock

Dog One
11th Apr 2003, 21:10
Thanks to the Bill and Bill way of doing business, I like many others, did not renew after 30+ years of membership.

Woomera
11th Apr 2003, 21:16
Gentlemen

Might I direct your attention to the D & G General Aviation Forum, where there is a fairly vigourous debate hapening on this subject.

May I suggest that if you want to change things or preserve the status quo then it it up to you.

There are 15 candidates for 9 or 11 positions depending on whom you are talking to,

Win lose or draw there is now a real election on, with some chance of change.

Cast your vote, it is the only one you have, if you don't then you can't complain about the result.

Capt Fathom
11th Apr 2003, 22:13
It's got nothing to do with Bill & Bill. It's just the way aviation is going in Australia. Many people have tried to turn it around without success. The government just don't realise the damage they are doing and just won't listen!
Frustrates the hell out out of me, and every other enthusiast no doubt!

Captain Custard
11th Apr 2003, 22:53
Fathom,

I have to disagree. Before the rampaging started at AOPA by the president who ousted Peter Patroni, the industry was united against the then DCA/CAA. That was ALL the industry. Then, in one fell swoop, and since perpetuated by the fanatical presidents since, the industry was torn apart and the single issue fanatics took over. He hated anone who had a different opinion and made it his mission to either screw them or marginalise them by way of money-driven lobbying of the gullible pollies.

Could you imagine, with the way the aviation world has changed, what could have been achieved had we all been united, had we all been level-headed, conscious of and considerate of each other's needs/desires? A damn-site more than what has happened. The scandalous way CASA has been torn/twisted/bagged and decimated by the aformentioned gent, aided and abetted by strident support frrom his recent pres mates at AOPA is nothing sort of a scandal, not to mention the thousands and thousands of taxpayers and industry-funded manhours wasted on wacko reforms of this, that and the other, mostly to no avail (and quite rightly so!!). CASA should NEVER have had a board, and was only given one to give him another crack at the job.

So yes, I do blame Bil and Bill: they had the chance to stop the nonsense and get everything back on a level keel, but they didn't.

Unfortunately, we have all had to suffer greatly as a consequence.

LooseConnection
11th Apr 2003, 23:35
Just like to add my 2c worth guys.

Not having fortunately to have had to exist in GA for many years, it has always frustrated the "crap" put of me that Oz Aviation seems to want exist in the 19th Century.

The boffins that seem to rise to the surface seem hell bent on holding logic back.

DON"T THEY REALISE THAT THE REST OF THE WORLD IS NOW IN THE 21st CENTURY :D