PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Disk Query

jethro15
10th Apr 2003, 22:00
If I purchase a pre-formatted floppy disk and I want to use it on Windows NT, do I have to re-formet the disk on NT to make the disk comparable with the NT operating system.

Tinstaafl
10th Apr 2003, 22:25
No. NT can read/write DOS formatted disks.

jethro15
14th Apr 2003, 19:58
Thanks for that, it's what I understood.

However. the situation we have here (Large NT Network) is that after an unpredictable time span of using disks with no problems, we suddenly, without warning get a message stating 'Incorrect Volume', and it is impossible to open any files on the affected disk no matter what program they were written in.

The Network guys here just tell us that the disks should have been re-formatted before use to make them compatable with NT.

Seems to me that the problem lies with the NT Network, not the disks, but my hardware knowledge is limited.

Any further thoughts??

25F
14th Apr 2003, 23:12
What brand of disks are you using? Does this happen on more than one machine? Floppies are not that reliable and neither are the drives. It's very unlikely to be anything to do with the operating system. My tips would be: always buy branded disks (same goes for blank CDs). It's not worth saving a few pennies if it will cost you in the long run. Always reformat a floppy before using it. Again, it's not worth "saving" a minute or two. Never use a floppy as the sole repository of important data. And keep them away from magnets, sunlight, extremes of temperature, humidity, etc.

Oh, and the network guys are telling porkies.

jethro15
15th Apr 2003, 00:03
Cheers 25F

All disks are branded, and the problem exists accross the network, not confined to particular machines. All normal precautions are followed when using disks (As back-up only).

I reckon your last line says it all

jethro15

PPRuNeUser0171
19th Apr 2003, 07:31
The Network guys here just tell us that the disks should have been re-formatted before use to make them compatable with NT.

Excuse ME?!

Now this really p**ses me off, I work with NT (and 2000, Netware, blah, blah) networks every single day and I REALLY HATE IT when so called techies come out with b*ll**** like that.

The upshot of formatting a disk on NT is that it will have a slightly different boot sector. You can see this if you take a pre-formatted disk and leave it in the floppy drive when you turn the PC on.
The PC will give you an error message of 'Non system disk'.

Format that disk on a Windows NT box and leave it in the drive - This time the error message is 'NTLDR cannot be found'.

At the end of the day the disk is still in a FAT 12 format.

The problem could be several things, Floppy disks have a high failure rate, Leaving them on the PC will kill them (magnetic fields), a slight knock or thump can kill them.
The failure rate for floppies is 1 in 10.

25f's post covers the rest of it very nicely, The only thing I'll add is that if you have access to a windows 2000 machine invest in a pen drive. (http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/USB_Pocket_Drives.html)

This sexy devices can take up to 252MB of data in something that's the size of a pen and weigh next to nothing.
I've been using one for a year and have binned all my floppies!

Gary.

mainfrog2
24th Apr 2003, 02:20
I've never had to use that many floppy disks but I'm surprised at the failure rate.

I bought a pen drive which has only 16mb but it's cheap and enough for what I want, they are brilliant. I can't think of a use for floppies any more.