PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!!!! The Concorde soon to be grounded for ever.

Eastwest Loco
10th Apr 2003, 20:33
Poop cack fart and possibly even piddle!!

The one airliner (apart from the boeing 707) that the Loco Bloke wanted to fly on before he dies is about to be grounded.

Falling load factors (down to 20% on some services) and downturn in world passenger numbers have pushed Air France and British Airways to call a halt to the SSC services.

What a bloody tradgedy - and what a magnificent beastie.

I can boast having 2 very good passengers and mates upgraded to SSC ex JFK - and the BA checkin lady said and i quote "Jetset Travel Devonport and British Airways have organised an upgrade to the Concorde for you two gentlemen if that is alright with you."

What do you guys and girls reckon your reaction would be??? How professional was that?

After buying out my partners in the Agency - that was my goal - to one day ride Concorde - have to find a new one now.

Any PPruners had the privelege of the "sporting performance?"

buugger - buugger -buugger!!!

Best all

EWL

Edited to get the buugger back in - not a swear word in Oz - but there ya go!!

QNIM
11th Apr 2003, 05:21
Loco Im with you, seems one goal never to be realised, I haven't even seen it in the flesh. A great loss to aviation. Cheers Q :mad:

Three Bars
11th Apr 2003, 05:48
An awesome machine to watch. Saw one takeoff at Washington-Dulles airport - potery in motion.

Also flew from Honolulu to Sydney once in a B707, when we knew the Concorde was due to follow us on the same track about half an hour later. I will never forget looking out the window and watching the Concorde pass us like we were standing still!

I often wonder what the world of aviation would be like now, if Boeing (instead of French/Poms) had developed the first viable SST.

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
11th Apr 2003, 06:10
EWL ..\

Mate, bite the bullet, get a loan or something!!! Get a discount flt to LHR, CDG or something and go fly on it!! It's only money and you can take your time to pay it back!!

GO AND FLY IT MATE, IF THAT'S ONE OF YOUR DREAMS - DON'T LET IT VANISH.

And then, so you won't be left without purpose in life, the next dream can be to pay it off!!

Seriously, GO DO IT!!

Kanga767
11th Apr 2003, 07:14
I too am saddened by the announcment.

Perhaps we could all organise to have say a 'last day cover' to fly on the final flight as a memento?

Albatross
11th Apr 2003, 08:16
Three Bars, I thought the US Govt. at the time got tired of Boeing screwing them out of large sums of money for sod all progress with the SST and stopped funding. Oops, nearly forgot, poor little Boeing never gets a cent from the govt.... :D

It's still flying through summer so people should pull finger and get a ticket.

Eastwest Loco
11th Apr 2003, 19:08
QNIM

I did see one when I was at Melbourne High School - was walking to get a lift back home with my mother who taught at Toorak Central School and the one that was on a promoional tour came cruising by.

As it passed the nose, which had been in the droop positon was realligned, and they must have hit the reheat on the Olympus' as the attitude of the aeroplane changed markedly and it just leapt out of sight - what a magnificent thing it is.

I am very sad that my grandkids will only be able to read about the girls and see video footage of them, no doubt tainted by the tragic accident caused by the marginal structural integrity of an obviously poorly maintained Continental fleet member.

Col. Walter - I am seriously considering exactly what you say!!!

Best all - and God bless the best of the best - Concorde.

EWL

Buster Hyman
11th Apr 2003, 20:20
Some of the guys I used to work with, remember it coming in to Tulla a few years ago. If anyone else remembers the old articulated aerobridge on D4 (Intl finger), then you'll know what it was for, R1 on the Concorde.

EWL. I too am one who will always lament not having flown her. My only sighting of her was when they were grounded after the AF accident, whilst on approach into LHR.

I agree with the Colonel, if you can, DO IT! You'll keep the memories forever. My Dad remembers watching the Comet fly overhead on approach into MEB (I lived under it's flight path for 27 years!) and my Mum remembers a Spitty shooting down a Heinkel & doing a barrel roll over LPL during the war. Both events I would have loved to have seen, the latter with some reservation of course, but my folks will always remember them. But hurry, those seats are selling fast!

Eastwest Loco
11th Apr 2003, 20:47
Buster

I have taken this on board as a goal. If I can do it I bloody well will.

I have a little Scots mate at BA MEL I will call on Monday, and try to set it up.

We had the highest growth for BA sales in VIV/TAS last year and hopefully that will count for something.

I really wish to ride the rocket before she rests.

Best

EWL

Buster Hyman
11th Apr 2003, 21:09
Hmmm... the mind boggles at the possibilities here...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/306941/M/

:sad: :{

Blue Sky Baron
12th Apr 2003, 06:00
EWL,

When you find out the cost, email me.

Flying on Concorde was always something I wanted to do and felt that someday I may just fulfill that dream. Seems the plan to do it 'sometime' is now limited.

Anyone know a friendly bank manager?

BSB

TheNightOwl
12th Apr 2003, 08:25
".......know a friendly bank manager?" Does such a creature really exist, BSB, or is it something dreamed of after a good bottle of red?
Good to see you back,

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :D

Pinky the pilot
12th Apr 2003, 08:27
Eastwest Loco; I too would appreciate an e-mail re the cost when you find out.
I agree with the sentiments expressed by all. Cruising at Mach 2..........
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Airbornespanner
12th Apr 2003, 15:09
Never fear gentlemen, just read an article in the paper that the great wooly jumper Mr. Branson has made an offer to buy the BA Concord fleet !!!!!!! he has made a generous offer of one english pound for the fleet. What an offer :ok: Better get your CV's off.

Kanga767
12th Apr 2003, 15:29
Dang!

Another set of Virgin decals I'll have to make...... I just finished the SQ portside ones.....

K

Whiskery
12th Apr 2003, 15:38
Three years ago two of our (Air Atlanta) American pilots were rushed back to LHR for a charter flight. New York to London Heathrow one way fare cost the Company USD3500 for each pilot.

I am not sure what the fare structure was, but it seemed at the time, a little bit expensive!:eek:

CI300
12th Apr 2003, 17:59
Well, this is a most suitable topic for my century post !!
I was sent an info package about a staff deal on BA about 6 months ago. From memory it was nz$2200 to fly New York / London on concorde. The deal was one way, I cant remember if it included a flight back on an 'ordinary aircraft'. It might take me a few days to drag it up. But it suddenly seems like it might be worth it. I will post the details if I can.
I still regret not taking one of our last 742 flights into Kai tak...

Fred Basset
13th Apr 2003, 19:00
EWL, will be interesting to see whether you can purchase a ticket from British Airways in Australia, or whether you have to ring USA.

You are a little luckier than some at least you should be get yourself an affordable airfare, to get to either JFK or LHR.

I am wondering whether you can start the non Concorde flight in another US British Airways gateway city.

I am sure you will give us an update on how you get on.

Good luck.

Eastwest Loco
13th Apr 2003, 19:10
Thanks Fred

Have just bought out my partners in my Travel Agency so things are a little tight at the moment.

We topped VIC/TAS for BA growth last financial year so that may help, and i used to work with my BA Sales Manager a million years ago at TAA Wynyard/Burnie so I am sure Kenny will do his best.

I would just so love to ride the girl before she is part of our history.

Best

EWL

LikLik Draggerbalus
4th May 2003, 06:36
Must say I will miss the Poison Dart as it flies over my house each day at 1100 .....can set your watch by it. Like the 8.30 Trident if anybody remembers that.! Those Olympus Engines sure do make a mighty sound.

Eastwest Loco
4th May 2003, 17:59
Loco bloke makes mental note.

Will try my damndest to get a ride on he rocket before she is no more.

EWL

LikLik Draggerbalus
5th May 2003, 06:52
BIK 116.80
Very poetic old son. You are not Ernest Gann reincarnated are you.??
I had the pleasure of, once only, flying the Dart with the bride, down to LIS...Yes Lisbon. We shot past the place at Mach 2.02
had to turn around and give the Cabin Crew time to clear up.
The Only way to travel. I shall die happy.....well maybe not.