PDA

View Full Version : The Hong Kong Yourism Board - Stuff-Up of the Century!!

TIMMEEEE
10th Apr 2003, 11:12
Was just at the movies and saw a current advert courtesy of the Hong Kong Tourism Board.
After showing the great sights of Hong Kong there came the caption:

"Hong Kong - It Will Take Your Breath Away" !

Please correct me if mistaken but isnt one of the SARS Virus symptoms shortness and labouring of breath??

Someone shoot these dumb barstads!

boofta
10th Apr 2003, 17:30
It gets worse. Another current slogan the Hong Kong Tourism
Board is using is "CITY OF LIFE"

FNQTech
11th Apr 2003, 10:21
I always thought Air NZ's "Nobody Does It Better" campaign put on air shortly before Erebus was pretty bad timing, but this one challenges that.

Captain Gidday
17th Apr 2003, 10:31
Oh, but can you imagine how stupid Air New Zealand are going to look if they are unfortunate enough to have an 'unhealthy event' with an aircraft painted with 'AIRLINE TO MIDDLE EARTH' in 5 metre high letters!
Still it is hard to beat the official slogan for this year's Singapore Arts Festival "SINGAPORE ARTS FESTIVAL 2003 ~ BE BITTEN BY THE ARTS BUG"! [Arts being almost an anagram of SARS, just by the way]. Check it out (http://www.nac.gov.sg/fullnews.asp?psno=235)

"Many of the Festival's audiences have been bitten by the Arts bug over the years. Consequently, the reputation of the Festival has been enhanced through their spreading the word about what the Festival has to offer. The exhilaration of the Singapore Arts Festival experience is indeed catching and to communicate this, this year's Festival has adopted the marketing tagline of "Be bitten by the Arts bug".

Experience it for yourself: Be bitten by the Arts bug and be smitten by the Singapore Arts Festival this June!"

ausdoc
17th Apr 2003, 10:36
I don't know if it's there any more, but there used to be a big reflective sign that said "RAAF DARWIN - THE AIRHEAD OF THE NORTH"

Kaptin M
17th Apr 2003, 17:27
The "Y"ourism Board must be reading PPRuNe as well, TIMMEEEE :cool:
This morning, CNN also commented on your observation, and stated that the H.K. Tourism Board would be pulling their ad, in light of SARS.

How about suggesting this one to Cathay, in line with the H.K.T.B.....H.K.TB.??!!! foot-in-mouther:
"When was the last time you flu with us?"

onya
18th Apr 2003, 15:16
"When was the last time you flu with us?"

LMAO:p :p :ok:

TIMMEEEE
20th Apr 2003, 06:37
Thanks Kap M - I ended up correcting my inability to type and thanks for pointing out that CNN came across this gem.
Unfortunately this thread wasnt quite as well received in the Fragrant Harbour page and was removed due to lack of response and duplication as I recall.

Tragic as SARS is for all those affected we still have to be able to laugh at ourselves also.

Tim. :E