PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Twinpins

ColeFace
9th Apr 2003, 23:49
The same photo of the Twinpin also made the papers here in Canada and I was wondering about that aircraft. then I came across this forum.

I shall tell you what I know of the machines listed on the oldprops site.

The restorable one there were articles about in the aviation mags a few yrs back and it apparently flew in from Alaska to Terrace B.C. where it sat collecting parking fees. It was then flown out to an abandoned strip in the mountains near Terace and sat derelict being shot up with high powered rifles and stripped till this outfit in Quesnel B.C. got it.

The other two airframes might be from the Yukon as an outfit called Terr Air (Territorial Airways) had 2 in the 70s. One was forced down on the South Canol hi-way and was last I knew a green house in Watson Lake B.C. The other was also derelict among 8 ft alder trees at the end of the Ross River Yukon airport. This one I picked the data plate off and if I can find it I'll check the constrictor no to see it it matches the one in Quesnel.

NorthCoast Air Serv out of Prince Rupert B.C. also ran one but I think it was sold and flown away. I mention NCAS as they were the ones that had a Bristow Freighter sink a remote hi mountain lake . Always wondered it it was still there. Anyone know??

pigboat
14th Apr 2003, 11:19
ColeFace dunno about the Bristol Freighter in the lake. Actually, this is the first time I've heard of it. There's a guy who posts here, Chuck Ellsworth - lives in Nanaimo - who would probably have some info on it.
There seems to be not a few aircraft in various lakes. There's a Canso in Nitchequon, another one in Ashuanipi, and a B-17 up there in the same area, and that's just around here. There was a B-25 at Matamek, just east of here, and a B-24 in the trees north of Blanc Sablon. That one is still there, as far as I know. There was another Canso that went in between Goose Bay and Sona Lake. The F/O inadvertently activated both emegency fuel shutoffs in cruise and they put it into a loon-**** lake about 75 miles west of Goose. That happened in 1957 and it stayed there until 1986 or so, when it was airlifted out and sent to the Atlantic Museum in Halifax for restoration and static display.