PDA

View Full Version : MCC or more multi hours?

Ivan Ivanovich
4th Apr 2001, 14:12
I've read through the archives and taken in the merits and opinions of MCC, but if you wanted to boost your chances of a first job, would you spend the money on more multi hours or on the MCC? (assuming you couldn't afford both!)

I have 40 multi hours with only the IRT and multi rating test as P1. More would certainly help, but MCC is often stated as a minimum requirement. Que Faire?

Would 20 hours of multi crewing in a jet sim be more attractive to an airline than say 20 hours of P1 multi?

Thanks in advance.

bottle2throttle
5th Apr 2001, 02:57
If I were you, I would definatly go for the MCC without a doubt!

To get a job as F/O with an airline, a large part of selection is making sure you have a tick in every box, and from what I've heard the MCC course is definatly one of them.

I think it's a minimum requirement for direct entry into most airlines now.

Interested to here other peoples thoughts on this.

Ivan Ivanovich
5th Apr 2001, 23:28
Thanks for the reply; I think you're probably right. After all,the MCC is a definite requirement and not all airline training programs are accredited with this approval.

I agree, it would be interesting to know what the general opinion is; I still recall all those comments about getting multi time above all else.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Ivan Ivanovich (edited 05 April 2001).]

Super Stall
6th Apr 2001, 02:17
MCC without a doubt. For the money another 15 to 20 multi hours are not going to be noticed on your CV but an MCC will stand out, and besides, do a decent course and you'll learn a lot about airline ops/sop's etc.

skylord757
6th Apr 2001, 03:44
MCC is a must, try and do it at a good school which has a jet simulator (Oxford).
Airlines did state they require 100 hours multi but not often anymore. I know people which got jobs with less than 25 hours. GOOD LUCK anyway

Ivan Ivanovich
6th Apr 2001, 11:12
Okay, I'm convinced. Thanks for the replies.

Ivan

springbok449
7th Apr 2001, 01:30
Good choice Ivan, as mentioned above an MCC is a minimum requirement these days and unfortunately some airlines use it as an easy way of selecting people. I think it has also become a requirement in order to have a commercial license issued these days however I maybe wrong.

'I' in the sky
7th Apr 2001, 22:38
Iwas in the same position with 60 multi hours and went for the MCC. Three months later it's made no difference whatsoever.
Also I've heard of people mithout an MCC course being given job offers on the condition they then get the MCC.

Personally I'm wishing I'd bought the block of multi time.

Mr Magoo
8th Apr 2001, 14:01
Just to chuck in my contribution, I'm planning NOT to do an MCC straight off the back of my IR and my thinking goes like this:

1. A lot of airlines include an MCC as part of the type rating so why do one out of your own pocket only to have to do theirs anyway?

2. On my CV I'll state that I DON'T have an MCC but, if I was offered a job, I'd go and do one and start with that company a week later.

3. I'd rather keep the £3K in my bank as long as possible.

4. If there's no joy on the job front I'd still have enough dosh to do an AFIC rating.

Hope this is of use.

Magoo

Ivan Ivanovich
8th Apr 2001, 21:51
Thanks for the latest replies. I don't think having a MCC is going to land me a job, however I do think it will help my CV or App get into the right pile as apposed to the bin. How I, or anyone else progresses from there is perhaps down to what else is on the CV or form.

I've been instructing for over a year and have 800 hours, but only 40 multi. I certainly recommend, Mr Magoo, an AFIC before a MCC cert, but I do agree, many if not most airlines have training courses which are MCC approved - so why pay the extra money?

At the end of the day, it's another factor which will help to place the CV in the right pile.

It's a tricky one, but at least there's no test to take and it should help with any eventual sim ride an airline offers.

Good luck.

springbok449
8th Apr 2001, 22:07
Ivan, I would still go for the MCC course in your situation as you already have an instructors rating, unless you join a big airline I don't think that they will include an MCC in the type rating because of the extra costs. I know it is a tricky one but when I was in contact with a certain UK airline the first question the recruitment department asked me is if I had an MCC.
Good Luck.

wysiwyg
8th Apr 2001, 22:21
I did a sim ride for a job a little while back which involved 2 candidates flying as a crew doing a sector each as PF and PNF. I was paired up with an ex-army heli pilot who was exempted MCC due to his military rotary wing multi crew time. His view was that this exemption was a bonus as it saved him money. My view was that the lack of disciplined quality training that the MCC would have given him was the reason that he was way off the pace at flying the jet sim. Expecting your future employer to tick the MCC box might save you money but it could just as easily cost you the job in the first place.

regards
wizzy

Wheels Welded
9th Apr 2001, 01:02
I've been flying multi-crew for a well known Scottish BA Franchise without an MCC for a few months now.

DHC6 is a two crew turboprop carrying 19 pax. It is certified as a single crew aircraft but required by the CAA to be flown two crew. No MCC required, just 'in-house' training. After 500 hours on type I will be exempt an MCC altogether saving myself £3-£4000. Believe that EMB-110 falls into the same category.

Have you considered that option as a first F/O job? No MCC, loads of multi-turbine hours, no wasted cash. Just have to do your homework and find the operators!

Ivan Ivanovich
9th Apr 2001, 11:44
I think we all need to maximize our opportunities when looking for airline jobs, particularly the first one. If a job flying Twin Otters, where there is no MCC requirement, comes my way, then of course I'll take it! But at the same time I need to make sure that I'm in as strong a position as possible to compete for jobs with operators of larger aircraft.

My original query of whether MCC or more multi time is preferable seems to be favouring the MCC and it does have it's advantages, particularly with any sim ride I may be offered. In an ideal World, I guess I'd do both, but wouldn't we all?

Thanks for all the replies. My only decision now is where to do it.

Good luck

Ivan