PDA

View Full Version : Faa Licence Converstion & Work

Aileron Roll
9th Apr 2003, 14:15
I am a New Zealand pilot currently working in Asia, and my wife has just been posted to the USA, looks like a work permit for me will be no problem.

Would really appreciate any info on licence converstion and the local job scene. My background 3500 hours mostly GA and Instructing.

Would really appreciate any info.

nomoneynowek
10th Apr 2003, 11:36
Hey Aileron Roll!

Just entered to post the exact same thread!

Am sure this has been dealt with before on this site, but time is short and am needing answers asap.

Anyone with recent experience of converting ICAO Comm. or ATP license to FAA?

Apparently they need to verify your license and experience through your local CAA/DCA. How long does this take? Is there anything one can do with your local CAA that will expedite the procedings?

Does one need a work permit or study visa to enrol at one of the schools offering conversions, or can it be done on a B1/B2 visa..........work visa to follow, but trying to get things going before then if possible?

My wife is American and we're looking at settling in for the summer......perhaps Alaska work? Is it a bit late in the season to be going up there looking for work, or are they still hiring for the summer?

Anyone know if there is work for a guy with lots of bush time, but none on floats....and if a float rating is done, what are the chances of being let lose on the unsuspecting public by an operator?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

No$nojob:(

Flyer Flier
10th Apr 2003, 14:47
Hey Guys,
A good place to start is the FAA site http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp
Go to the details on Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification. You will find your initial application form there plus an FAQ list.
This is all about getting your initial FAA US Private License based on your foreign license which is straight forward, but suggest you contact appropriate Flight Schools for best details on continuing up to convert your ATP, which will require a flight test. There is more than enough info at the above site plus its links to get you going a long way. Good Luck.
FF
;)
P.S. Getting an FAA IR based on your foeign IR is also very straight forward, its just a computer test having read the prep book which you can buy at most FBOs.

C4
11th Apr 2003, 10:23
Fly Fli is not correct about it being simple... Far from it
Check out the africa forum for more Gen...:cool: :cool:

Flyer Flier
11th Apr 2003, 16:01
Excuse me C4,
But the first words you use in your post over on African Aviation regarding converting to an FAA license are:
quote "Not too difficult to do.."
:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

weasil
16th Apr 2003, 05:48
Please do a search of the archives... this topic comes up on a regular basis

C4
16th Apr 2003, 23:20
He said Simple.. Its not simple, but also not too difficult with a fair amount of homework and prep... Very time consuming to get all ducks in a row before taking on the conversion..

Sorry for the confusion...;) :D ;)