PDA

View Full Version : Certification Query?

RAIM
9th Apr 2003, 11:04
Hi,

Can anybody tell me whether or not those aircraft with dual wheel assemblies on a single main leg are required to demonstrate landing/taxiing on that single assembly (ie due deflated tyre, U/S wheel assembly etc). That is, is the single assembly required to support the aircraft weight on landing and during taxiiing? I understand that should such an even occur both assemblies will be subject to an NDI regardless.

Thanks in advance.

RAIM

Lear_doctor
23rd Apr 2003, 20:35
Although not answering your question specifically, European 'large' aircraft design standard JAR 25.731 para b does state that 'each' wheel must be capable of carrying the aircraft Maximum Design weight. This would suggest to me that each wheel may well be capable doing what you ask. Hope this helps.

WideBodiedEng
24th Apr 2003, 04:21
Believe it or not on the good ol' Quadrapuff (146) you can taxi or tow "minimum required to clear the runway" with ALL 6 tyres flat! You are authorised "unlimited" Taxiing with one flat on each axle.
It's in BAe146/RJ AMM Ch 09-10-00 Fig 205
Of course, if one tyre fails "under load" then both wheels on the same axle must be changed. Goodyear's "Aircraft Tire Maintenance Tips" handbook says to " remove tyre and axle mate" if tyre pressure is 70% or less of correct. And scrap tyres "if blown while rolling"