View Full Version : F-15E down in Iraq

ORAC
9th Apr 2003, 10:48
Filed at 9:28 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. airmen were listed as missing on Tuesday after their F-15E warplane went down in Iraq on Sunday.

The two men and their aircraft, known as a Strike Eagle, were deployed from the 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina, the Defense Department said in a statement.

The cause of the incident was under investigation, the statement said, but it provided no details of any search and rescue operations.

T_richard
9th Apr 2003, 10:56
I look forward to the day when at least for a while, these guys aren't getting shot down. Someone please find these guys alive and bring them back Amen

rivetjoint
9th Apr 2003, 16:34
Americans said in the news that they expect any prisoners to be treated according to the GC, guess they're getting a little worried for the crew now :(

BlueWolf
9th Apr 2003, 17:38
I'm a bit concerned as to what can bring down an F-15 in a country which is supposedly occupied and conquered (according to the media), and which has (apparently) no command or control, no radar, no airforce (bit like here), a dead or exiled leader, no communications, no effective military, and which is but days away from regime change.

Maybe the Fat Lady hasn't sung yet.

Goood luck and Godspeed to all out there.

Thoughts and prayers are with the crew and their families and mates.

West Coast
10th Apr 2003, 04:58
Maybe you listen to the press too much.

One man with a manpad is all that's needed.

No one but the press has said the fat lady has sung. Far from it, the government has advised caution.

ftrplt
10th Apr 2003, 21:05
If anyone has any names yet, a PM would be appreciated. Did an exchange with these guys a few years ago.

Synthetic
11th Apr 2003, 10:31
I had heard it said some time ago that the USA had never lost an F15 in combat. Is this the first? Commiserations to the crew and their family

BlueWolf
11th Apr 2003, 14:51
Call me a cynic if you like West, but I believe that was my point;)

ftrplt
11th Apr 2003, 16:12
Synthetic,

that would be F15C, they lost 1 or 2 F15E's in GWI.

Man-on-the-fence
11th Apr 2003, 16:26
I also think the claim was had never been defeated in Air to Air combat.

Could be wrong but its pretty impressive if i'm not.

Steve Davies
17th Apr 2003, 22:04
ftrplt, PM inboud.

The Cook
18th Apr 2003, 03:32
Rumour in theatre is that the F-15E was lost due to disorientation and CFIT not ground fire. A real waste whatever the cause but considering the flying hours being put in....

ORAC
19th Apr 2003, 03:27
WASHINGTON, April 18 (UPI) -- The Pentagon announced Friday the identity of an F-15 pilot whose aircraft went down in Iraq April 6. Capt. Eric B. Das, 30, of Amarillo, Texas, was killed in action while supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. Das was assigned to the 333rd Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C..... The back-seat officer is still listed as missing.

West Coast
19th Apr 2003, 07:37
A missing crewmember is not indicitive of CFIT, at least from the press clipping provided.

ORAC
24th Apr 2003, 01:21
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Pentagon said Wednesday it identified the remains of the second of two Air Force officers killed when their F-15E Strike Eagle aircraft went down in Iraq on April 7.

The Pentagon said Maj. William R. Watkins III of Danville, Va., was the weapons system officer on the F-15E when it went down during a combat mission near Tikrit, north of Baghdad. The pilot was Capt. Eric B. Das, of Amarillo, Texas. His remains were identified last week. Watkins, 37, was assigned to the 333rd Fighter Squadron based at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.

The Pentagon has not said whether the F-15E was shot down or was lost under other circumstances.

That leaves only one U.S. service member still listed as missing from the war -- Army Sgt. Edward J. Anguiano, 24, of Brownsville, Texas, missing since his convoy was ambushed March 23 in Iraq.