PDA

View Full Version : Capt. John Burgess R.I.P

Ivan Taclue
9th Apr 2003, 03:34
Today's Daily Mail carried the sad news that John, ex Dan-Air, Flightline, Sabre, Go and BMI Regional, whilst sailing has gone missing off a yacht in heavy weather on a trip abroad and is presumed dead.

Extensive SAR missions failed to produce a result and after 48 hours these were called off. Two other crew members were rescued.

Condoleances to John's family. Rest in peace my friend!

Faustino! Tks yr msg - happy to oblige[B]

peterwm
9th Apr 2003, 05:54
Was John previously with British Caledonian?

Commando
9th Apr 2003, 13:37
John was a great guy.

Also my condolences to his family.

Ivan Taclue
9th Apr 2003, 22:50
Not sure about BCAL, but I seem to recall he mentioned DanAir(?)

Hostie from Hell
9th Apr 2003, 23:13
What terribly sad news.

Sincere condolences to John's family and friends.
Well liked and respected Captain to fly with, it was always a pleasure.

Mr and Mrs H from H

(yes seemed to recall he was ex Dan as well)

Mister Slot
9th Apr 2003, 23:19
peterwm If the John you are referring is the one I think, he's alive and well.

JW411
10th Apr 2003, 03:35
I once knew a John Burgess who was ex-Dan Air, had a beard and was last heard of trying to run a pub out in the sticks of West Scotland. Is it he?

Ivan Taclue
10th Apr 2003, 05:10
First two are positive. dont know about the pub though.

I saw John on TV last year when he and his wife appeared on
Bargain Hunt in Tunbridge Wells.

Sagittarius Rising
10th Apr 2003, 17:55
Lovely,interesting person who will be sadly missed.My condolences to his wife and two daughters.
I remember a nightstop in Helsinki,sitting in his room,drinking red wine which he'd already bought from the UK,listening to his Genesis collection on a portable player long into the night.And he was right,they were better with Gabriel!!

alterego
10th Apr 2003, 19:39
John was certainly a character!

My condolences to Maddy and the family.

A sad loss.

Config
10th Apr 2003, 22:19
I think I knew John from Sabre days...

Wishes to his family...

capt.magoo
11th Apr 2003, 03:19
if i remember correctly john was with dan air on the BAE 146 then joined Gill airways on the ATR briefly.

saber, flightline,etc.. as well as running a B&B up in scotland somewhere.

may he rest in peace

Faustino
11th Apr 2003, 03:56
Rest in Peace John, may you sail smoothly into many sunsets.

To your family, strength, and our prayers.

(Ivan, please check your PMs)

VIKING9
11th Apr 2003, 10:01
Once a business partner of mine, real nice bloke and a gentleman. I have no idea what else to say. Lost for words.

alterego
13th Apr 2003, 15:07
Does anyone know if there will be a memorial service or wake?

Lots of the Old BMIR 146 fleet would like to attend. We certainly owe him a send off of some sort! I'm sure there are others too.

Faustino
14th Apr 2003, 04:30
alterego, and others who may ponder similarly...

As John's body has not been recovered, I believe it will be very difficult to pursue the normal sequence of events which follows a death.

John was a real character, and will be sorely missed. But we should be patient and understand that a chance to say 'goodbye' may be some time coming.

whisperbrick
14th Apr 2003, 16:52
Sorry to hear the news.....

John was a good pilot and generally nice bloke.Always remember his two stuffed animals,Leo and Nardo I believe,which lived by the compass and were often found incompromising positions.......

Condolences to all...

alterego
14th Apr 2003, 17:20
Yep they were Leo & Nardo.

There was also the Fucarwe club that you joined if you had ever got lost in a plane, complete with membership card!

whisperbrick
15th Apr 2003, 02:19
Yes,
still have my membership of that club, cost me a quid in helsinki !!
Just sums up john's great sense of humour

fernytickles
18th Apr 2003, 08:30
Sorry to read the news about John. One of life's real characters and very entertaining to fly with.

mythic38
27th Apr 2003, 19:30
Just catching up very late with the very sad loss to our community of this larger than life character. John was a real asset to our profession, always looking out for the guys on the front line. I flew with him on many occasions in the old cucaracha with one of the smaller operators and would brook no nonsense from the company! He taught a lot of us ,I suspect, the value of treating people honestly and with equanimity. My deepest sympathies go to his wife and two daughters. He will be sorely missed by me and many of us who were lucky enough to have known him.

Daphny Duck
28th Apr 2003, 01:39
John was my PPL instructor way back in 1977 at King Air in Biggin Hill. I have lots of wonderful memories of the times we spent together. My deepest sympathy to Maddelaine and the family.
One of life's real charachters.

Slopwith
1st May 2003, 03:14
A sad loss Indeed. Chugalug.

wasdale
6th Jun 2003, 18:18
Was John with McAlpine Aviation in 1980? Maybe it's a different John Burgess. Any info gratefully received.