PDA

View Full Version : Check in times at Heathrow

payingpax
9th Apr 2003, 02:37
I’m off across the Atlantic for the first time in ages.

The ticket says I should check-in 3 hours prior to departure.

I know that security has been beefed up since 9/11 – but 3 hours! Realistically, how much time do I really need to allow? I don’t want to cut things so fine that I have to run to the gate – but at the same time there is a limit to how much time its possible to spend browsing at Dixons and W H Smiths.

GalleyWench
9th Apr 2003, 06:02
Payingpax, If the flight is on a Saturday or on a holiday, absolutely check in 3 hours before departure, Heathrow is a madhouse on the weekend. If your flight departs at an off hour,you can let it slide to 2 hours before. Please bear in mind if you do not have a reserved seat if you check in at the last minute you will be left with a less than desirable seat, or not seated with your family ( not always a bad thing).

MarkD
9th Apr 2003, 18:30
PP if it's T4 aim for check in 2.5 hours at least, as the security queue can occasionally be quite long.

Rollingthunder
9th Apr 2003, 20:13
Governing factors are the airline, time of day (number of flights operated within your time frame), number of check-in positions working and security queues. I was at T3 last Sat morning having arrived a bit late due to a lorry overturning on the entrance road to LHR. Long line for check-in. Had to be pulled to the front of the line due to time of flight. Luckily the security line was not too bad. Still, had to go right to the gate.

PAXboy
9th Apr 2003, 22:08
For the half an hour, I would say it's not worth it. The rule of the road is:- If you leave extra time for the journey, you won't need it. If you leave ten minutes late you will meet the milk float stopped in a one way sreet / tractor in a country lane / etc.! :(

1) Get there three hours early.
2) Check in easily, whilst others are clamouring for special treatment because they are late (and note that the excuse they give is never their fault :rolleyes: ).
3) Buy a paper or magazine.
4) Find a quiet-ish corner and read, take tea. Watch the world go by and then ...
5) Walk in a relaxed manner to the gate.

OzPax1
10th Apr 2003, 02:20
And if you don't want to stay in the main depature lounge with the 'hoi poli' (and you won't if going out through T3), Then check in early and pay Serviceair £18 and you have access to their lounge with drinks newspapers and relative peace & quiet.
Here's the link Serviceair Excutive Lounge (http://www.executivelounges.com)

Globaliser
10th Apr 2003, 16:17
payingpax - Who are you flying with?

If you're flying BA, check in online. If you're a member of the Executive Club and you've got a PIN, you can do this from 24 hours before departure. If you're not, you can just register at the BA site and check in from 12 hours before departure. You get an earlier crack at the seats, too, although this won't always get you the best.

When you've done that, your (absolute) deadline for arriving at LHR and picking up your boarding pass is (I think) -50 minutes (or -60 minutes at Paddington). You can do it at a self-service kiosk or at the "Fast Bag Drop" desk where there is seldom any queue. Saves an awful lot of hassle if you don't have business class check in privileges.