PDA

View Full Version : USA/AUS to JAR conversion

empty pockets
8th Apr 2003, 23:03
Hey,

I know this has probably been covered before but nevermind....

I am hopefully going to commence my heli training soon, with the ultimate aim of becoming a professional heli pilot.

I have yet to decide whether to train in the USA or in Australia. I have looked at the cost of training and, so far, the Oz option is in the lead as it is the cheapest.

My questions are:

1] What is required to convert the Oz CASA license to a JAA one.
2] Same but for FAA - JAA.
3] What would the approx. cost be?

If anyone could give me an idea, or point me to the relevant site, I would be most grateful.

Slotty
9th Apr 2003, 02:37
You'll still have to do all the JAA exams, 9 for CPL and 14 for ATPL, and then some flying depending how many hours you come home with, they are not easy and require a lot of study so take some study material with you. You can get a JAA over in Florida with Helicopter Adventures as well as an FAA CPL and FI rating, might be an idea to get your PPL here then build time overseas perhaps with a work visa (J1 in USA) and come home and complete the modular route, at least then you'll have some flying experience in the UK,just a thought!! Exams are a good £2500 for a proper course of home study. Good Luck! Try searching this forum for more information.

kiwijim
9th Apr 2003, 15:34
I looked into it a while back, and the conversion from AS to JAA licence is a bit of a pain. Have a look at the British Helicopter Advisory Board website, they have a very good description of the process for conversion of licences. That said, if I was in your position then I'd probably go to AS or NZ (can give you some good contacts/flight schools/instructors if you want) and do the CPL there, then convert it back in the UK.

empty pockets
10th Apr 2003, 23:24
The cost of UK training is just too high for me to begin to consider right now. I am due to graduate in July (with a heavy student debt) and reckon I can muster around £10k in the short term, or around £20-30k if I get a graduate job and save hard for a few years.

I have no major ties in England so emigrating to train and find work is no real problem. Its just I would prefer to return towork in the UK at some point when I want to settle down. (Jeez, I never thought I'd be planning my life so far ahead!).

KiwiJim: I'd appreciate any details you have. As I said, AS/NZ is winning over US training and I'd like to get in touch with a few schools. PHS on the Sunshine Coast is my fave so far but would be glad to hear your comments;)

P.S:

If I get the AS or NZ licenses, which other countries can I work without having to convert?

Which countries could I work in with an FAA ticket?