PDA

View Full Version : Going To Court Against SIA

Stephan Holle
8th Apr 2003, 14:35
I need to make contact will parties subject to and familiar with expatriate contracts as offered by SIA to Capts and especially First Officers between the years 1990-99. I need to clarify a number of issues as part of my preparation for a hearing in Singapore in the near future. I can be contacted via email at
[email protected]

Rabbit
8th Apr 2003, 17:01
IN SINGAPORE .....good luck......you will need it.

thegypsy
8th Apr 2003, 22:38
The American Captain B744 who got sacked by SIA some 6 years ago for spouting off about SIA and other issues in First Class,won his case and the appeal by SIA ,much to the surprise of everyone in Singapore.
It was actually reported in the Straits Times as well. He got his Bond back,3 months salary in lieu of notice and his costs paid.
The Judge who heard the Appeal retired shortly afterwards.

John Barnes
9th Apr 2003, 08:41
On what points are you going to start a hearing, and what is the case about?

Lee
9th Apr 2003, 12:04
Stephan Holle,

In The Straits Times, 9 April 2003's issue, Page H8 (Home Section): "Wrongful dismissal suit: SIA 'has right to sack absent staff'."

You should read the defence of the former in-flight services officer Clement Louis Arokiasamy Joseph, 50, why he failed to turn up for work. He was remanded in prison during that time. "He maintained that SIA knew, or must have known, why he had not reported for work."

"In their opening statement statement yesterday, SIA's lawyers denied that the company knew why Mr Joseph was absent from work and maintained that he did not inform, or attempt to inform, SIA of his absence."

"The airline said that he was, in fact, "not held incommunicado"while in remand."

Stephan Holle
19th Apr 2003, 10:05
Thankyou to those people who took the time and trouble to contact me and provide me with the background information I needed. Your help has been invaluable.

The process of getting to the Courtroom in Singapore takes between 6 months and two years and costs SIN $15-20000 per day.

No matter the outcome, I hope you find the affair interesting and entertaining.

Stephan Holle.

Gladiator
20th Apr 2003, 10:20
Dear Steph,

I suggest you drop the whole case and start a new one.

Check under PPRuNe archives (I don't have time to do it myself right now) and look for the chapter which comes out of Singapore employment law.

If you are subjected to an infectious disease in relation to your work, as is the case with SARS, you can walk out of your contract.

It is Singapore law.

More on this later when I have more time.

411A
21st Apr 2003, 00:10
OTOH, nearly all who left SQ early did so because they found another job...nothing at ALL wrong with this, UNLESS of course a bond was in place (due to a typerating course), and proper notice was not given and the prorated bond actually paid by the employee, in accordance with a SIGNED contract.

Doing a runner is a bad idea.