View Full Version : CO 1 Royal Irish

MightyGem
8th Apr 2003, 10:19
His speech prior to going into Iraq is worth a read here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=86523)

Tigs2
8th Apr 2003, 17:56
MightyGem

To be honest, Churchill was good and Henry V (he that hath no stomach for this fight etc) was outstanding, but I think the speech that you refer us to, is absolutely inspirational. I remember reading it when it was reported, I just wish it had been captured on film. The effect on rousing his men and women was reported to be incredible. People were in tears at the end of it.

The Col has captured the very essence of what this war is about. It is definitly on a par with Montgomeries speech to the Eighth Army.

Thanks for the link, I had been trying to get a copy.

Didntdoit
8th Apr 2003, 18:20
It would appear that the subject of this thread should feature in the 'Who's Having a Good War' thread...? Tick VG

BlueWolf
8th Apr 2003, 19:46
Lieutenant Colonel? The man should be a General, and probably will be; and a remembered one, at that.

Danny and the Moderators: we really do need a smilie for "respect".

J.A.F.O.
8th Apr 2003, 19:51
Wow, right up there with "And gentlemen in England, now a-bed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here". Thanks for the link.

brit bus driver
8th Apr 2003, 20:51
When I read that in the Mail, it fair brought a lump to one's throat. Let's hope others have taken a leaf or three from it.

Tigs2
9th Apr 2003, 05:57
Blue Wolf
Im with you!
Come on Dany or Flt Lt PPrune please respond. There has been nothing better come out of a military commander in decades. And bye the way please do not take this off our forum, and merge it with question time. Thank you in anticipation of your cooperation.

Tigs2;) ;) ;)

swinging monkey
9th Apr 2003, 15:51
What an unbelievable speech, outstanding and inspirational, yet humble and compassionate. I only wish he was in the Royal Air Force, he could certainly teach some of our senior officers a few things.
Take note Airships, this is the calibre of senior British Army Officers, and I suggest you read his speech, learn from it and try to aspire to the leadership this chap displays.
He could no doubt get his troops to do anything for him, and I am sure they all gladly and proudly followed him into battle.
Good on you Sir, thank God we can still produce leaders like you.

Kind Regards
The Swinging Monkey
'Caruthers, am I too old to join the Army?'

ps Wg Cdr Prune, this definately deserves at least a smile, possibly much more old boy!

Unmissable
11th Apr 2003, 05:08
I was just about to pull this speech and some of its prophecies apart with 20/20 hindsight; however, even with the ability to take up an antagonistic attitude with anonymity, I couldn't. Whether or not he wrote it himself, (which I suspect he did), it is truly moving and inspirational.

I wish he was my boss.

Bright-Ling
11th Apr 2003, 18:45
I can see why he has made Col and I left as a Fg Off!!

Ozzy
21st Apr 2003, 05:33
The same Tim Collins that is quoted in this excellent article from the Baghdad Broadcasting Company? I think so, a wonderful quote and which I posted to the "heard the one about the Frenchman" in JB...:ok:

British War Grave (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2958143.stm)

Ozzy

Gainesy
21st Apr 2003, 17:45
I hope that a large wad of back pay and an even larger bonus and gong is en route to Hassan Hatif Moson (see link above).
A remarkable bloke.

Tigs2
22nd Apr 2003, 10:42
DouglasDigby

Was the undersigned in the letter 'Charles' the HRH Charles?? If so what a fantastic and well deserverd accolade! Please reply with info.

Thanks Tigs2

DouglasDigby
22nd Apr 2003, 16:13
Yep T2, sure was HRH! A splendid touch indeed.

Very much second the suggestion about a bonus, etc, to Mr Hassan Hatif Moson. If only a few more of the people in the world had his dedication..... perhaps an email to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, [email protected]

Foss
10th May 2003, 03:38
Think I'll have a sex change and marry him.
Fanatastic guy. His mum lives about two miles from me.

Ozzy
21st May 2003, 22:32
WTF is going on with the world? Here's a report that the CO is now being investigated on accusations of war crimes in Iraq. No other information other than what is in this report (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12324033,00.html)

Ozzy

Scud-U-Like
22nd May 2003, 00:28
How sad. How ironic. I hope it isn't true.

Ozzy
22nd May 2003, 01:52
and the BBC is reporting that:It is understood the complaints against him were made by an American military officer and are thought to include abuse of captured Iraqis.

any idea which officer this is?

Ozzy

fobotcso
22nd May 2003, 05:25
Thanks for the link that took me to the text of his speech. I'm a real sucker for this kind of stuff and I love the emotions it arouses in me. I'm taken back over 50 years to the days when I was in the line-up for attestation and the pledge to serve Queen and Country.

This is probably a "sour grapes" tit-for-tat accusation. Let's hope that our UK Military Justice System works as it should and not the way it has worked with the Chinook case.

solotk
22nd May 2003, 08:40
Well if we're going to investigate Col Tim for alleged war crimes at the insistence of the American military, then maybe we can spare some time for the A-10 drive by, and reports of Iraqi PW's being shot?
After all, fair is fair.

Yep, I'm seething:*

Archimedes
22nd May 2003, 09:06
I have a feeling that Robert Fox is about to do just that. He was pretty scathing about the shabbiness of the whole thing when interviewed on Radio 2 this lunch time, and made a few interesting remarks about attempts to destroy evidence in A-10 incident. He also made some fairly pithy references to shooting PWs as well.

The Beeb News 24 review of the front pages for today showed that only the Grauniad and Indy weren't giving this prominence; all those that were have gone with the 'Colonel Tim stitched up by small-minded yank officer' approach - including the Mirror.

Suspect that the jealous little toad who started this off (assuming that the media haven't made that up...) may have cunningly ensured that the British media are about to declare open season on the US Army and USMC...

May I join you in seething?

Huh??
22nd May 2003, 12:31
To be fair, this is no less malicious than the Belgian lawyer trying to get Tommy Franks and other officers in the dock for alleged war crimes committed against Iraqi ambulances and government buildings. The politically inspired nature of that case is outrageous, as is the pretense of Belgian law to universal jurisdiction of all war crimes.

Having said that, pistol-whipping some local flunky (even if true) is obviously a much less serious offense than the USMC gunnery sargeant accused of executing POW's.

jungly
22nd May 2003, 14:09
Correct me if Im wrong but...... I dont think the good ol' USofA is a signatory to the World Court....and as such, although any Americans accused of War Crimes can be tried (in their absence) they will not be held accountable in the US, nor is the US abiliged to hand them over. (Please if you know more about this correct me)

Sadly for CO1 RA this is not the UKs stance - moreover, this allows the yanks to throw stones in very small glass houses and get away with as many accusations as they wish:
a. without being accountable,
b. without fear of recrimination,
and to, if it suits their political agenda, make up anything they want.

This accusation, factual or not opens a huge can of worms politically between the US and UK. Sadly, a mere Col maybe the scapegoat. After all it happened to Col. Ollie North.

While on a anti-US rant.... I read in the paper today, an Iraqi doctor claiming the US SF's used only blank ammunition in rescuing Pvt Lynch....such was the hollywood'esk theatrics of the event. (Not believing the press....just the Iraqi Dr)

pulse1
22nd May 2003, 16:08
I have a horrible feeling of déja vu about this. I just pray that this does not end up in another awful court martial like the recent F15 one, where it takes two years to come to court, costs millions to try and exposes more spineless and incompetent leadership in our armed forces.

Hopefully this does not apply to the Army or Navy and is only peculiar to the leadership of the RAF as revealed in the Chinook and F15 cases.

Mad_Mark
22nd May 2003, 17:00
Is it any wonder that the US are rapidly running out of allies :*

MadMark!!! :mad:

Captain Gadget
23rd May 2003, 04:14
Gentlemen

Everyone here seems to be getting into much more of a lather than Colonel Tim is.

Having been the deliverer of what is probably the most rousing - yet temperate - pre-battle speech to be placed into the public domain since the likes of Henry V and Churchill (or anyone in between - take your pick) clearly does not make the man incapable of war crimes.

However - those who choose to accuse him must now show that there is a case to answer, or else go home to bed before they fall over and hurt themselves.

Until they do, I'm with Colonel Tim, an officer alongside whom I - and many others - would have been privileged beyond measure to serve. 1 R Irish were just the lucky ones.

Accusers - put up or shut up.

Gadget

polyglory
25th May 2003, 05:43
US Marine Comments (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=409119)

Green Flash
25th May 2003, 06:51
Belfast Tele article seems to suggest someone with a chip on their shoulder

C'mon Sunshine; put up or shut up.:*

Zoom
25th May 2003, 16:58
Could someone please provide a link to the F-15 incident?

sycamore
25th May 2003, 18:39
Zoom, try the ATC forum about a month ago, under Court Martial,long trial to nobble an air-trafficer. Syc;)

Scud-U-Like
25th May 2003, 23:13
Col Collins may come to regret having made that speech. Doubtless it aroused a touch of the green eye in some of his seniors (in rank, if not in eloquence) and juniors alike and some may want to see him brought down a peg or two.

On the other hand, if you're going to make such a powerful and righteous speech, you had better make sure that, even when the going gets tough, you're pretty damned squeeky clean.

If the allegations against Col Collins are false, then this is a gross injustice against a fine leader. If they are are true, it is difficult not to conclude that he has brought this trouble upon himself.

Meanwhile, I'm with Capt Gadget. Col Collins is the right stuff, until proven otherwise.

Pilgrim101
26th May 2003, 00:06
The problem is that one complaint in these circumstances carries a great deal of clout in our sensation seeking and / or politically biased media, and as looks the case in the John Leslie affair, trial by media is the norm so you are cuffed before any hearing or trial anyway.

You won't see the **** media withdrawing their crap once the 1RI boss is cleared. I suppose you had to be there at the time but if you want evidence of war crimes, a dink on the head from a Brit is apparently far worse than gassing 5000 or so civilians and slaughtering hundreds of thousands of others. Let's not forget who the true enemy was here, Saddam and his regime. Apart from one US Major with a God complex, the US still are the only major ally we can rely on too.

By the way, the US don't have a monopoly on Blue on Blue, vide the GW1 and 2 Warrior, CVR and CR2's brought back to UK with a UK strain of 120mm HESH rash.

Green Bottle 2
26th May 2003, 04:40
Sunday Times and Telegraph ran very good articles on the whole affair. The problem here is one US reservist who had his ego bashed by Col Collins who was absolutely right and within his rights to do so. The giving of sweets to children was encouraging them to miss school, beg from soldiers and put themselves in a dangerous position chasing vehicles for sweets. It would have been only a matter of time before a child would have been hit by a car.

Col Collins was directly responsible for ensuring the village of Ar Rumayla (poor spelling I know) became a shining example of how good life could be for the people of Iraq under the Coalition before the Americans had even taken Baghdad.

I hope the result of the enquiry will be to exonerate the Col and show this snivelling Major for the weasel he is. The British military should not be deprived of an inspirational leader.

Rant over.

GB2

fobotcso
26th May 2003, 05:22
S-u-L said:

Col Collins may come to regret having made that speech
I very much doubt it with a personal letter from the future Monarch and an accolade from the US President. However, I suspect that TC is very much his own man and doesn't need the approval of others to decide whether he is right or wrong.

So, the leader of a front-line fighting unit in direct contact with the enemy is accused by a tree-hugging counsellor and part-time traffic cop of being robustly and uncompromisingly aggressive and intimidating towards the enemy - some of who wear non-military uniforms. And he meted out similar treatment to an insubordinate junior officer who was disobeying a direct order in the field.

That's alright then. We're in good hands.

fob

polyglory
26th May 2003, 07:37
A good Summary (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2003/05/25/do2502.xml&sSheet=/portal/2003/05/25/ixportal.html)

Scud-U-Like
26th May 2003, 09:28
And another (http://www.observer.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,963026,00.html)

polyglory
26th May 2003, 13:16
Vindication? (http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$TG1Q3WS4SBPS3QFIQMGCFGGAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2003/05/26/ntim26.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/05/26/ixnewstop.html)

fobotcso
26th May 2003, 17:35
This is. (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-691943,00.html) {Sorry, I've discovered that you have to have done the (free) registration to get past the Sunday Thunderer's "Welcome" mat!}

tu chan go
27th May 2003, 19:47
So, the tree-hugging counsellor and part-time traffic cop didn't even witness these alleged incidents first hand. I hope he is dragged over the carpet by his bosses for causing so much trouble!

Scud-U-Like
28th May 2003, 02:45
Well, heavily pruned, more like. Seems a tad premature. 1 RIR (Col Collins' old Btn) will remain intact.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,1271,-2721416,00.html

Echo 5
23rd Jul 2003, 20:16
Sorry if I may have missed something in the press but does anyone know if Colonel Collins has been totally vindicated yet or is the farce of an "investigation" still on going ?

polyglory
24th Jul 2003, 18:06
Echo 5,
I reckon its in stealth mode, can't find anything my self.

I think they are hoping it will all go away, last I heard the Col was sueing some of the papers.

Scud-U-Like
27th Jul 2003, 11:29
Sunday Times 27 July 2003

"THE controversial army officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Tim Collins, who won worldwide acclaim for his rousing eve-of-battle speech in the Gulf, is set to be cleared of charges that he mistreated Iraqi prisoners."

The report goes on:

"The special investigation branch of the Ministry of Defence police sent its file on the Collins case to his commanding officer on July 11."

It could be sloppy journalism or an unreliable source (or both), but wouldn't anyone "in the know" be aware the SIB are part of the RMP and not the MDP?

Full Report (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-758357,00.html)

If he is cleared regarding the Iraq allegations, Col Collins may still have some questions to answer regarding allegations that he failed to counteract a pervasive bullying culture within the RIR.

Echo 5
31st Oct 2003, 20:00
Heard on the BBC this morning that the guy has been awarded an OBE. Good luck to him. Wonder what the part time traffic cop is doing now ?

MOSTAFA
11th Jan 2004, 23:55
Tim, I dont suppose for one second you are going to read this but having you write my confidential reports for several years and to be a part of the same organisation when we served together was a privilege Sir. I dont think you will never want for a job outside. Perhaps, someone might even listen to the message you are trying to convey. Rgds to family

FEBA
12th Jan 2004, 01:15
As usual the Colonel makes a valiant stand, It's not just the army that suffers at the hand of political correctness, it's the Navy the Airforce and all of British society that is sick to the back teeth with it all but can't say anything lest the do gooders (sic) fire bomb their houses.
Kilroy Silk - you say what you like, this is a free country, or is it. :confused:
Tri services you're all being slowly asphyxiated by wimpish ministers and a minority interest that seems, paradoxically, to hold more sway than majority interests and the common good. Gays rights, Gay Bishops, Anti Hunting lobbies, Anti defence ably strengtened by Blair's tail wagging enthusiasm to back Bush. The very core of our national identity is now being threatened by a few that are a part of it. It's got to stop, PC is like fishing for cod, someone needs to haul in the nets.
Good luck to you Colonel Collins.
FEBA

NURSE
12th Jan 2004, 01:36
What a loss for the British Military. It is officers of Col Collins calibre that the Armed forces need at this moment in time. I would say he would have made an excellent CGS.
I wish him all the very best for the future.

Scud-U-Like
12th Jan 2004, 03:16
Firstly, I would echo the view that Col Collins is an excellent soldier, an exceptional leader and will be a great loss to the armed forces. That said, I don't believe he has been treated with undue harshness. He was cleared of any wrongdoing, promoted to full Colonel and awarded an OBE, all of which he justly deserves.

I wouldn't wipe my @rse on the Daily Mail/Mail on Sunday, let alone read it, so, I'm afraid I won't get the opportunity to view Col Collins' parting shot.

BEagle
12th Jan 2004, 03:37
You should have heard the comments made by Col Bob Stewart DSO on Sky News tonight. He firmly reinforced Col Collins alleged views in very forthright terms, stating that the UK armed forces are increasingly being asked to do more with less, yet do an outstanding job. He also had some very astute comments concerning that recent speech given by Trust-me-Tone to the troops in Iraq :yuk:

One wonders whether the excellent Col Collins will be the only one deciding to quit........

FEBA
12th Jan 2004, 16:29
Mostafa
Why don't you give your friend a call and ask him to peruse this thread.

Spade Adam
12th Jan 2004, 23:56
I'm glad he's been vindicated but sad to hear he's leaving.

When we were in Ar Rumaylha (scene of alleged crime) he was exactly what the place needed: a firm but fair hand to get a grip of the very unstable situation. The only person who should be allowed to make a judgement as to whether his action was appropriate or otherwise should be his senior commander on the ground at the time: Comd 16 Air Asslt Bde.

As for the conduct of our American allies, they simply lacked the experience. For example, when the PsyOps Team delivered newspapers (the first free press for 40 years, independently produced by Iraqis) the Humvees drove into Al Amarah and just chucked bundles of them off the back, causing a riot and, worse, interruption to an Arab funeral. No wonder that clown got a bollocking. The Brits, by contrast, got off the vehicles, patrolled deep into the town centre, handing them out individually in the cafés. No riot, job done.

The loss of officers like Col Collins is a real pity for our armed forces.:(

Scud-U-Like
13th Jan 2004, 02:18
FEBA

As a member of the armed forces, I don't feel I'm "suffering at the hand of political correctness" and I don't know many colleagues who do. Indeed, most crewroom, NAAFI or mess bellyaching seems to revolve around the usual bread and butter issues, such as kit (or lack thereof), pay and pensions, promotion (or lack thereof) and, of course, the hierarchy.

Political correctness is largely an invention of the gutter press. Kelvin McKenzie, the former Editor of the Sun, happily admitted he and his staff used to contrive those stories about loony left councils banning black bin liners and "Bah Bah Black Sheep". At least it was easy to see through that sort of mischief making. These days, pseudo-respectable rags, like the Daily Mail, love to play to the gullibility of their lazy-minded readers, who are happy to swallow anything some self-important, puritanical fart (or fartess) with a column to fill, happens to feed them. Incidentally, FEBA, your melodramatic diatribe would make excellent Daily Mail copy ;)

As for Kilroy-Silk, he'll do a few weeks in the BBC sin bin and then get his show back. I don't think he said anything especially outrageous. He was just a bit clumsy and rather foolish, in stereotyping all Arabs as woman-hating, limb-chopping etc. It's rather ironic that, had one of the audience on his inane show said the same thing, he'd have been down on them like a ton of bricks.

Biggus
13th Jan 2004, 02:42
So, PC, H&S etc not taking over our lives eh? My wife has just been on a first aid course where she was told you are no longer to pinch a casualty's earlobe, to check whether they are responsive to pain, as this could bruise them!

Nuff said!

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
13th Jan 2004, 04:08
Baa Baa Black Sheep, and the Black bin liner stories may have been made up.

But when I overhauled the family dartboard for Christmas I couldn't get hold of any blackboard paint and had to settle for chalkboard paint (black matt)

Scud-U-Like
13th Jan 2004, 05:46
Biggus

Your other half happens to get a duff first aid instructor, so the world's gone mad, right?

Or maybe you're a wind-up merchant, like SirPeterHardingsLovechild:
http://www.diy.com/images/products/image_l/5010988450327_H_1_l.jpg

(B&Q £4.79) :8

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
13th Jan 2004, 07:05
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/images/content/1033/307.jpg

...but I fear that we are straying from the subject

Biggus
14th Jan 2004, 01:13
S-U-L

My wife's instructor is a current NHS nurse, if I was going to invent a 'wind up' I like to think I could have come up with something better. And yes, this thread is straying off subject, but don't they all!!!!

Scud-U-Like
14th Jan 2004, 02:02
An overcautious nurse and a tin of American paint. Okay guys, you win: PC is out of control.

FEBA
14th Jan 2004, 02:34
SUD
It will be a pleasure to cross swords with you.
melodramatic diatribe
Rhetoric, polemic maybe but certainly not diatribe.

You seem to be at odds with Col Collins, are you saying that he is wrong and that the three services are adequately funded?
As for PC no they are not the invention of the tabloid press it is a concept that originated in the USA based on the observation that language and phrases that express such prejudices as racism, sexism and hostility to homosexuals; to avoid the slightest risk of giving offence extreme care must taken to avoid all such phrases.
Tolerance is however not only the mark but the paradox of liberalism. Liberalism, by its very nature threatens the hegemony that the opposers of liberalism seek to impose. Unquote A C Grayling.
So what has PC to do with the underfunding of the armed forces? Well handing out lots of dosh to the MOD is hardly a vote winner in this day and age since it will causes the mothers of peace the Church and numerous others to dominate the prime time media with their objections. Since the government seeks to appease them and not create a fuss close to election time, the underfunding of the forces is as a direct result of PC.
Read George Orwell he could see what was coming. Read Huckleberry Flynn, if you are allowed. Try being a policeman or best of all try telling one that there is no such thing as PC, you'll be laughed at.
So I don't think for one moment that current serving members of the armed forces will agree with you, however you have indirectly proved my point, and that is that you have a perfect right to disagree with me and write lots of drivel on this forum.
So steering this thread back on course I believe Col Collins to be correct and I challenge you to prove otherwise.
Best wishes
FEBA
PS H&S for the armed forces :confused: what on earth is that all about :mad:

Scud-U-Like
14th Jan 2004, 03:24
I believe the armed forces are under-resourced, but then, twas ever thus. I'm certainly not going to be told that, as a member of the armed forces or as a member of society, I'm being 'asphyxiated' by minority interests. It smacks a little too much of Nazism, for my liking.

BEagle
14th Jan 2004, 03:35
The last time I was at Incirlik, political correctness had been taken to new heights of lunatic stupidity by the colonial cousins. For example the phrases:

"Heads up"
"Head to head"
"Head sector"
"Out of the box"

were all deemed to be offensive to wimmin. Curiously the word 'Bush' was acceptable....

B£oody nonsense :mad: ; can't even call a spade a spade nowadays, it's a 'trenching tool'. That is if 'trench' and 'tool' are OK.....:yuk:

NURSE
14th Jan 2004, 05:20
we can't get to the nitty gritty of the matter either. I liked what Billy Connolly said on PC 'it's the language of cowardice'.

MOSTAFA
14th Jan 2004, 05:37
FEBA VMT for answering SUD's comments, I really wanted to but truly could not be bothered. I have talked to Tim recently and support his his decision 100%. You have to know the man to understand how he conducts business. A firmer or fairer man I have yet to meet.

SUD VMT for your comments, but I really think you should get out more. I dont want to sound rude but if you truly cannot see how PC is affecting HM Forces then you truly are a CGS in the making. I did, very recently for the same reasons, and resigned a Regular Commission after 34 years man and boy. Please, lets not turn this into a slanging match because these days I get my fun from reading the Military Forum and only get the urge to write very occasionally. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and me, mine. Having lefts bits of me over the world whilst serving with Tim I feel totally qualified to support him.

Scud-U-Like
14th Jan 2004, 06:18
MOSTAFA

You're welcome. I get out a bit more often than I'd like, which is why I have to get my two penny worth in when I can (usually in short bursts). Best wishes to you and Tim.

FEBA
14th Jan 2004, 16:12
SUD
I appreciate your concerns about nazism, however I'm not suggesting anything radical here, just observations. Without wishing to be rude I have to echo Mostafa's comments, smell the morning coffee mate.
PC must, by its very definition, defeat itself, trouble is it's a lot like cancer, an awful lot of good cells have to go in order to get the bad ones.
Well done Col Tim for raising the issue, you have my full support.
FEBA
(Durrington are they still selling that horrible Gibbs beer down there?)

Scud-U-Like
15th Jan 2004, 01:37
FEBA

Thanks for your assurance. I'm not so naive as to believe PC doesn't exist or that it doesn't occasionally lead to absurdities. We are simply at odds as to its prevalence and the gravity of its negative effects.

All the best

Scud

P.S. When I read these sort of interminable pi$$ing contest threads, I always swear I'll never get into one. Ho hum.

FEBA
16th Jan 2004, 04:38
SUL
Suggest you watch the Alan Clark diaries tonight on BBC4. Good insight into PC

Scud-U-Like
16th Jan 2004, 06:31
I read and very much enjoyed Clark's diaries (Pt 1) while he was still alive and kicking. He was a bright, lovable and vain old rogue and the sort of person you'd love to have round to dinner, but probably wouldn't want as your constituency MP. He was, of course, a vociferous advocate of animal rights and banned hunting on his land. One man's political correctness is another man's personal conviction.

Is James (his son) still in the AAC, I wonder?

MOSTAFA
16th Jan 2004, 07:00
A SUD, me and you again, lets not argue eh. You are right, the ****** was a rascal but a rascal that had plenty of flair, something truly missing from most modern MP's. I had the pleasure of flying him a couple of times. His son was never in the Army so please dont believe what I think you have read in his diaries, his son was an average joe in the aircraft, but to my knowledge, at that time had never captained an aircraft. He might have by now though!!

Always_broken_in_wilts
16th Jan 2004, 08:49
What ever the merits of the guy does anyone in here believe that a word he has said will REALLY change the price of fish:ugh:

More often than not his verbage, and if uttered by "other ranks" as proved by countless retorts on various other threads in here, is seen as nothing more than "whinging".

It's my honest opinion that if we had more top people like him , who strove onwards and upwards, rather than banging out, we would eventuall oust the to@@ers at the top and end up with a far better outfit.........silly naieve old me. But, call me a cynic if you like, but you have to wonder if he has had a much much better offer from "civie street" to throw his hat in so to speak. If I was a betting man, which I'm not :ok: , I think my mortgage against him ever being on the dole would be a pretty safe bet.

However good luck to the fella and I sincerley hope he makes the most out of his notiriety:ok: ...........how long before his book comes out I wonder:p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Scud-U-Like
16th Jan 2004, 18:07
MOSTAFA

Strange that. In his entry for 21 July 1990, Clark tells of being taken in a Gazelle from Saltwood to Middle Wallop and back, by James and his "co-pilot" Staff Sergeant Pengelly. Presumably Pengelly was the ac Cdr, but Clark mentions James being "at the controls" and doing some fancy flying. From what you say, it would appear Clark took quite a bit of poetic licence!

MOSTAFA
17th Jan 2004, 07:24
No names No Pack drill eh!!! All I can tell you is, he never even sent him a copy of the book and to add salt (pardon the pun) to the wound he spelt his bleedin name wrong. In those wonderful days there was only one pilot.

Scud-U-Like
17th Jan 2004, 07:51
Oops, soz, my fault: Staff Sergeant Pengelley.

MOSTAFA
17th Jan 2004, 07:54
Wasn't spelt like that either but who cares eh!

The Pilgrim
19th Jan 2004, 21:53
Great guy, superb pilot and instructor and a very good soldier now flying AH in Africa.

autosync
3rd Apr 2004, 00:21
If these allegations have been proven to be untrue, one has to wonder what the motive was for the people who put this to print.

Its a sad state of affairs when there is one name in particular that will be remembered from this whole conflict, had his name tarnished by the newspaper that was hell bent on trying to sway public opinion to oppose the war, did they hope that by trying to ruin a good man that the public would think that the Sunday Mail was right all along?

Always_broken_in_wilts
3rd Apr 2004, 01:24
Bearing in mind there is no such thing as "bad" publicity bet his inevitable book sells like hot cakes:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

RTR
3rd Apr 2004, 05:19
That kind of publicity is helpful to no one.....daft prat! :mad:

SilsoeSid
3rd Apr 2004, 06:45
Great guy, superb pilot and instructor and a very good soldier now flying AH in Africa. :ugh:
This isn't 'kidder' is it?
:confused:

Not HIM is it?
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39535&highlight=kidder

SilsoeSid
5th Apr 2004, 00:36
Well, That seemed to have killed this thread then. :{