PDA

View Full Version : Billy no mates

You Aint Seen Me. Roit!
4th Apr 2001, 00:22
I am soon to start sending my CV out, as I will soon have completed all relevant qualifications (exams, hours, IR etc)

I am in the Army and have not had the chance to "network". Lots of my colleagues tell how they were "Chatting to my mate in British Midland" or "Down the pub with my mate from Virgin". How much of a disadvantage am I at not knowing someone who would "make sure my CV didn't get lost"

[This message has been edited by You Aint Seen Me. Roit! (edited 04 April 2001).]

kestrel99
4th Apr 2001, 01:24
I wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anyone 'in the business'. The pilot world might be cliquey but at the end of the day merit is what gets you a job. You'll easily, and quickly, make contacts once you have got in. You'll also have the pride of knowing that you achieved it with your own skill and no outside help!

Good luck with your applications!

Going Around & Around
4th Apr 2001, 03:10
Kestrel, you either have a job or have not been looking for long! The longer time passed for me without a job, the more I thought any way in is a good way!!
The more useful contacts the better IMHO.

I hate the jobs (or more appropriately interviews) for the boys system but I'm afraid that's the way the world works!

Good luck! Hopefully you'll get there in the end on merit alone!

Nubboy
4th Apr 2001, 19:35
Get out there and MEET people.
I had several hundred unpaid twin IFR hours by going with owners from the local airfield (babysitting as your IR is more current than their lapsed IMC, ferrying for maintenance etc etc). My current job in a shiny EFIS twinjet came from meeting a senior trainer at my local gliding club. He handed my CV in when all I'd had was postcards from the office.
Good luck.

kestrel99
5th Apr 2001, 01:00
In reply to 'Going Around & Around',

I fully understand, and agree with, the idea that having contacts benefits you in gaining employment. I'm just saying that genuinely talented people are fully able to get jobs, or sponsorship, without prior networking. I believe, maybe naively, that knowing people in the business is not always necessary.

No other profession I know is quite so cliquey and I do think it is a great shame that some people get jobs because of who they know and not what they can do. I'm sorry, I'm just an idealist and believe that anyone should be able to fly regardless of his or her background or number of 'contacts'!!

Going Around & Around
5th Apr 2001, 03:20
Kestrel99,
I trained with people that walked straight from ab-initio into a jet job interviews because their old man knew the chief pilot.
There is nothing more annoying than working your arse off, being good at what you do and seeing people who, for whatever reasons, are not up to even class average grades getting these opportunities over their harder-working and more gifted colleagues!

I wish i had a quid for every time I've heard people (including myself) say "I've got nowhere with them. How the hell did he get an interview?"
They still have to pass the interview, sim ride and type-rating, so ability will out.

I waited for 10 months for interview and was lucky enough to get in without having to get someone to put my CV in the right tray, and in the early days after leaving the school would have resisted using any contacts for the reasons of pride and principles. However, I can now see that all that proves is that you are willing to cut off your nose to spite your face.

I'm sorry to say I'd rather have jumped the queue to get a job than be unemployed.

BJF
5th Apr 2001, 14:09
Some good points made here, but lets not forget that regardless of who knows who, the applicant still has to pass things like sim rides and chief pilot interviews etc. Yes knowing someone can shorten the yellow brick road but it doesn't guarantee you a job. All it really does is get your CV looked at in the first place and if your really lucky it might go to the top of the pile.

Now in saying that, if that applicant makes it to final interview stage and the position comes down to two people who are equally capable and qualified for the position then of course, if one is known by somebody in the company than they would stand a better chance. Don't kid yourselves thinking that being a great flyer is all you need to be,it's not, just like any product you have to market yourself and that means meeting people and getting recommended!!!!

Good Luck

BJF
BJF